Google Play Store doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Play Store doesn't work

I raised this issue earlier on this forum, but have not had any reply or suggestions from DVDFab to fix this issue.

In an effort to clear the problems I had after loading MS 1.0.3.7 (media library empty and cannot rebuild it) which support say they are working on a fix for, I did a factory reset, after which I lost all of the Apps except Play Store, Google Chrome and YouTube. No matter what I do, the Google Play Store App does not work.

I have tried the suggestion from another member to "Go to Settings/advance settings/apps/Tab over to all, select DVDFAB movie server then clear data" - which evidently worked for some users, but did not work for me (thank you for the advice though). When I clear the data, the app gets reset to version 7, which also doesn't work and soon afterwards it auto-updates to version 13, even if I turn off "auto-update".

Nothing I do allows me to run this app, without which I cannot load other essential apps (eg PDF viewer, Netflix etc), . I've even tried navigating to the play store using the Chrome App and trying to install apps from there. It appears to work, but when I go back to the apps screen nothing has been installed. I even tried downloading the .apk and executing that, but that didn't work either.

I can live without the media library, but not being able to add any other apps is very frustrating.

DVDFab Support, please advise..

Originally posted by SaturnV View Post
    I raised this issue earlier on this forum, but have not had any reply or suggestions from DVDFab to fix this issue.

In an effort to clear the problems I had after loading MS 1.0.3.7 (media library empty and cannot rebuild it) which support say they are working on a fix for, I did a factory reset, after which I lost all of the Apps except Play Store, Google Chrome and YouTube. No matter what I do, the Google Play Store App does not work.

I have tried the suggestion from another member to "Go to Settings/advance settings/apps/Tab over to all, select DVDFAB movie server then clear data" - which evidently worked for some users, but did not work for me (thank you for the advice though). When I clear the data, the app gets reset to version 7, which also doesn't work and soon afterwards it auto-updates to version 13, even if I turn off "auto-update".

Nothing I do allows me to run this app, without which I cannot load other essential apps (eg PDF viewer, Netflix etc), . I've even tried navigating to the play store using the Chrome App and trying to install apps from there. It appears to work, but when I go back to the apps screen nothing has been installed. I even tried downloading the .apk and executing that, but that didn't work either.

I can live without the media library, but not being able to add any other apps is very frustrating.

DVDFab Support, please advise..
    try the suggestions here in post #4 & #6 - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab...blem-with-apps

Comment

I apologise for not making myself clear, but in my earlier post I had said that I'd already tried the suggestions in https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab...blem-with-apps and that this had not fixed the issue.

Specifically, when I try these steps, this is what happens:

From Post #4 goto Settings / General / Advanced Settings / Apps , Select "Google Play services" and click "UNINSTALL UPDATES", also do it in "Google Play Store".

When I go to the settings for Google Play Services, "Uninstall Updates" is greyed out, so nothing I can do here..​​​​​​

When I go to the Google Play Store app settings, version 13.3.17-all[0][PR]231012848 is currently installed. When I then click on Google Play Store "Uninstall Updates" and click OK, it then asks "Do you want to replace this app with the factory version?" with the options "OK" and "Cancel". If I click "Cancel", nothing happens. If I click "OK", version 7.3.07. K-All[0][PR]231012848 is re-installed.

From Post # 6.
      1. Please just "uninstall updates" for "Google Play Services"
      2. Open "Google Play Store" again, and make sure focus on the "Sign in", click it.

Step 1 As noted above, when I go to the settings for Google Play Services, "Uninstall Updates" is greyed out, so nothing I can do here..

Step 2 If I now go back to the Apps page, and click on "Google Play Store", a blank white screen flashes up and closes. Nothing more happens. Sometimes after uninstalling updates, the "Google Play Store" icon is missing.

If I now re-boot the Movie Server, if the "Google Play Store icon was previously missing, it is now back under apps. Regardless, when I now click on "Google Play Store" I do get the "Sign in" button, which when I highlight and click nothing happens (other than the button briefly changes to indicate it has been pressed). If I now go back into Apps under Advanced settings, I find that version 13.3.17-all[0][PR]231012848 has been re-installed - in other words, I am back to square one.

It is at this point that I try the advice to "Go to Settings/advance settings/apps/Tab over to all, select DVDFAB movie server then clear data", but as noted in my previous post, did not fix the issue for me.

The only other thing I can do on the Google Play store Sign In screen is to turn off auto updates (only when 13.3.17-all[0][PR]231012848 is installed), but by then I presume I already have the latest (and incorrect) version 13.3.17-all[0][PR]231012848 installed, which does not work.

I'm wondering if another app required by the Google Play store is missing?

This all leads me to the suggestion that a "Factory Reset" should be bullet-proof and reset the Movie Server, clearing all user data and libraries etc, back to a fully working state (whilst leaving movie files on disk untouched), from where updates can be re-applied. There shouldn't be anything a customer can do to the Movie Server software through the user interface that cannot be recovered from with a Factory Reset.

Comment

After no useful suggestions from the DVDFab team, I have managed to fix this issue myself. Firstly, a Factory Reset on version 1.0.3.7 did not fix the issue. What did fix the issue was to reload version 1.0.3.1, then do a Factory reset on this version - which then immediately allowed me to launch Google Play store normally. I then loaded 1.0.3.5 (I don't like 1.0.3.7 which broke my MS in many ways), and the Google Play Store is now working normally on 1.0.3.5.

Comment

Hello SaturnV,

Thank you for the informative post. I am experiencing the same problem you have described and had a couple of questions if you don't mind.

I would like to replicate your process to fix my Movie Server as I have spent many hours trying to fix the Google Play Store.

Did your DMS originally come with DMS Version 1.0.3.1?
          After finally fixing the problem have you upgraded beyond DMS Version 1.0.3.5?
          I have asked support to provide me with DMS Version 1.0.3.1 and 1.0.3.5 to attempt your fix but wanted to see if you still had them if they decide not to provide them?

I appreciate your time and information, as you know this has been a frustrating experience.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

SomeDude

Link to my post on this issue.

Hello all, I have had my Movie Server for a couple of years now and I do like it aside from the problem that I can't sign in to the Google Play Store. I have spent hours trying to find a fix including all of the suggestions i could find here on the forum, upgrades, downgrades and uninstalling updates but so far nothing has
          Last edited by SomeDude; 04-26-2020, 03:55 PM.

Comment

SomeDude

In answer to your questions:

Did your DMS originally come with DMS Version 1.0.3.1?
            I don't see how this is relevant, but no, it initially came with a much older version, but at first switch-on, immediately told me to download an update.

After finally fixing the problem have you upgraded beyond DMS Version 1.0.3.5?
            Yes, I am now on the current version and Google Play Store still works (see below though).

I doubt there was anything significant in the precise software versions I used, although numerous factory resets on 1.0.3.7 failed to get me into the Play Store, it was after re-loading 1.0.3.1 that I managed to get into the store. Perhaps I just got lucky with the factory reset that it started working?

The older software versions, including 1.0.3.1 are still available in the Forum, but hard to find. I did a Google search on "dvdfab movie server 1.0.3.1 download" which actually found the original DVDFab forum link! https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab...-please-try-it ("- please try it" is actually part of the URL - not a dodgy invite from me!)

However, after experimenting with downloaded Apps, many are difficult, or impossible to use on the DMS, or at minimum require a mouse and keyboard to drive them. Even YouTube now says it is "not compatible with this device". So having got the Play Store working, I haven't found many apps that can be easily driven from the DMS without a keyboard and mouse.
            Last edited by SaturnV; 04-28-2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for the information SaturnV I appreciate it!

My movie server also came with an older version of the software that is why I asked if yours came with 1.0.3.1. I downloaded the firmware and I'll let you know how I make out with the process. I do use the keyboard below on my Movie Server although not perfect it has been very helpful.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Comment

Working...
              X