No announcement yet.

Manual copy problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting indeed .. For me "Add Network Location" creates the shared folder but I am still unable to copy large files. Small ones not a problem but 20GB+ etc (typical iso image sizes) no go. Not enough space on the destination drive.. The only way it works for me is via a Mapped Network Drive.

I assume you have tried copying very large iso files 20GB + in size?

Anyway as long as you found a way that works for you then that is all that matters, for now.

Comment

For my movies I do main movie rips, in high quality, but they are typically, depending on the length of the movie, run between 5 to 8 GB. I have done ISO files on my documentary disk so I can have the menu. I do these on a local disk before copying them over to the DMS. So that is to say that I have copied 20+ GB worth of data but no individual file was that size.

In the next couple of days I'll rip a documentary that I got from Amazon called 'Is Genesis History' , it is on a BD50 disk. That should get me a 50 GB file and I'll try it and get back to you via this thread.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.PNG Views:	1 Size:	10.1 KB ID:	378731

Okay, I did a full disk ISO copy of this 8K Ultradigital HD documentary called 'BARAKA', it produced a file that is 45,873,664 KB. Copied it over to the movie server...No Problem! I used my 'Add Network Location shortcut to do it from within File explorer. The disk is a BD1800.

For the life of me I can't imagine why your system won't do it using the same method. Like I said there is one un-managed network switch for the entertainment system and another in the low voltage wire cabinet in the basement before landing on the router.
        Last edited by Dead Eye; 02-25-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

mgn...I just re-read your post #16, so you can copy small files but not files 20+ GB or larger...right? Does your system have 16GB of ram?...with a system managed virtual memory setting? Try using a fixed swap file size...ie 2048 - 2048 MB(..use multiples of 1024)...reboot after setting that.

This system of mine I just built I put 64 GB of ram (PC3200) with no swap file because I am using a solid state drive, seems to be working great so far.

I would be interested as to where the cutoff is on the file size...10, 12, 14, 15, 17, or 19 GB?

Comment

Originally posted by mgn View Post
            Ok this problem still happens in 2020. All usual methods of copying large media files from Windows 10 to DMS fail as "There is not enough space on share ..."

I have determined that Windows 10 sees the total Media Server storage capacity incorrectly and using the conventional ways of copying large files from a Windows directory to the Media Server fail.

With the latest 20.20 release of DMS firmware the solution offered by member Dead Eye in 2018 is no longer working for me.

The following method (Map Network Drive) is the only way that works for me now..
            • If you have a PC Icon on your desktop then right click on it to select "Map Network Drive"
            • If you don't have this icon then type in the bottom left Search window type Map network drive and the This PC App will open and one of the options to click is "Map Network Drive"
            • A requestor window opens "What network folder would you like to map?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1082
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	378533
            • Select an available Drive letter (M: works for me to represent Media Server)
            • Browse the folder location "Network- >ANDROID_BXXXXX > sata > sata2 " (in my case my hdd files are in sata2)

Views:	967
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	378534
            • Make sure Reconnect at sign-in is ticked
            • Click Finish

Now in your Network location is the shared Drive (in my case M. Double click to open the map networked drive and the contents of my Media Server Internal drive appears. I can now copy huge files across without any problem. I also added a desktop shortcut for simplicity

Views:	909
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	378535

Views:	977
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	378537

Hope this helps

... Another DMS work around to add to the list ... It would be nice if the bugs were fixed.

Thank you, brother!!!!!!

This is, in fact, the only way it has worked for me, I now have files transferring for me, thank you so very much!!!

YES PLEASE DVDFAB, FIX THIS ISSUE, WE SHOULDNT HAVE THESE ISSUES WHEN YOUR SELLING US A MOVIE SERVER THAT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK OVER THE NETWORK AND PLAY MOVIES.

SINCERELY,

FORD

Comment

I've been reliably using a mapped network drive for many months to copy files to any of the drives attached to my DMS.
              Immediately after installing Windows 10 update 1909 I started getting this problem.

Apologies if I didn't read every post fully, but the following might explain why the describe work around works for some, but not others. After a bit of playing around I managed to get everything copying OK again and thought I would share my observations:

After Windows 10 update 1909, you cannot copy large files when you map a network drive to the DMS device itself

Previously I had a single mapped network drive that would allow me to drill down to the SATA or any of the attached USB drives and copy large files. For example:
              • P: as \\ANDROID_nnnnnn\share
              After the Windows update, this no longer works (not enough disk space reported)!

After a bit of playing I found I could copy large files again if I mapped each drive attached to my DMS individually as a separate network drive.

For example:
              • P: as \\ANDROID_nnnnnn\share\sata\sata2
              • Q: as \\ANDROID_nnnnnn\share\sda\usbA1
              • R: as \\ANDROID_nnnnnn\share\sda\usbA2
              • S: as \\ANDROID_nnnnnn\share\sda\usbA3
              • T: as \\ANDROID_nnnnnn\share\sda\usbB1

Another observation that I'm not sure is clear on this post is that you need to temporarily re-enable SMB 1.0 to map the network drives (yes you need to reboot after re-enabling), then once mapped, you can disable SMB 1.0 again (yes another reboot!).
              Last edited by SaturnV; 05-26-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X