server no allowing anymore titles into dirve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

morning guys

using both of your suggestions and also fell back and starting over again, first reading / studying fab's instructions I could not find the first go-around..

server hdd is docked in pc ,, can find it, no drive letter and can not do anything with it... Dead eye,,,, stopped process of downloading third party ext4 software when I saw the highly rated one would not work with win 64 bit.. and if understand correctly most third party software is read only, no write, which means I can not copy/paste directly to server hdd from a new pc Hdd to save fab 11 friom..

speaking of fab 11... mine has issues.. freezing during copy to server / blu ray , main movie ,,, not all the time but started couple weeks ago requiring me to start over again.. if I am correct ,,, fab 11 has to be up running linked to server for any pc/server copy to paste procedure ..

Signals,, following your suggestions.. ordered two 2tb hdd last night..

if understand what u guys are saying is my server will only work with a max storage hdd of 2tb docked??

why does server end up with mult copies of a movie saved to server? why can't i go thru the server to delete movie files ?? or what procedure to edit files on dms?

manythanks again

back to the drawing board

s

Comment

fishinggonebad...yea, I didn't see that until after I posted that link. You can have a larger HDD drive in your server than 2 TB. I have an 8 TB in mine and there is a user in this forum who has successfully used a 12 TB drive. The 2 TB setup in Windows is different than one that is larger in that you select different partition type...a 2 TB would be an MBR and one that is larger you would select a GPT type partition.

Comment

Okay...I did an open search for 'non destructive file system converter', the top result was this...https://www.diskpart.com/articles/co...data-7201.html

The disk setup part looks to be standard Windows disk management, the freeware part looks to be that it can backup the data on an eXT partition. So if I understand it correctly it will read the contents of the eXT partition, then allow you to copy (backup) the data to another drive of a different partition type. You then re-setup the disk, selecting the partition type and file system.

Comment

Though I might add some to this thread. Have had my server for almost 3 years (per-purchased before they started shipping them out) so have a bit of experience.

1. To copy the data on your media server drive, you should leave it in the server and copy from there. I have tried the Linus utilities programs for PC's mentioned above and had no success with them. They tend to corrupt the drive. (Note: that is with free ones. Perhaps paid ones would work better, but I have my doubts. See # 2 below)

You can do the copy to your PC directly by simply copying the data across your network. The Media server can be accessed as a network drive on your PC and the data copied to a local drive. This will be quite slow, however, as you are limited to the speed of your network.

Another option would be to use an external USB drive. Format the USB drive in your PC first, then connect it to the media server. Turn on the server and then go to the VIDEOS section of the unit. You should see icons for both the internal drive (SATA) and the USB drive.Go into the SATA drive and you should see a file tree of the data on that drive. Push the menu button and you will get a sub menu containing standard file tools like copy, paste, delete, etc. You can use these to copy/paste between the 2 drives. This will be done directly in the media server, so it will be much faster than using the network.

2: The media server formatting utilizes does a "linux-like" format. However, unless it was corrected in a recent firmware release, that format is not quite correct. I have tried to access disks formatted on the media server on multiple Linux machines and they always says the partition is unrecognized or corrupt. I believe this is why the PC Linux utilities don't work well.

I highly recommend any drive used in the media server first be formatted on a PC (NTFS format is most efficient). As stated above, if bigger than 2 TB, best to make it a GPT disk. Also, be sure to do a FULL format, not a quick format. It take quite a bit longer to do, but I have had quick format drives suddenly go bad in the media server when about 50% full.

Good luck and I hope this helps out...

Comment

Well said tbrown25! The external USB drive idea, as you say, is the way to go!

I do have one observation...more for signals though...If, as in this case the drive is formatted by the server and the DVDFab software running in a Windows environment can output to the drive (that is formatted in a Linux like file system)in the server then that means the the DVDFab software has the capability built-in to write to that file system via Ethernet...right?

Comment

Looks like time might permit me to get back to understanding and picking up where left off .. my better half is going thru chemo this past couple days, devoted my time to her.. Thanks tbrown25 and also to you Dead eye... Let me give this some thought.. I do have anothe possible issue which needs correcting before going forwards. my pc might have an issues with the docking stations. a good cleaning, closer eyeball is in order.. cable must be loose...a gut told me to change hardware.. also found out I can pay to get another pc on line with fab.. win 7.. taking u guys advise,, I picked up a couple fresh usb Scan Disks this afternoon... got the server stationed at the router on hard line. maybe this time, will be a charm... food for thought would it work to pop a second Hdd in one of the win 7 machines and dual os with linux mint?? will fab 11 and the server play nice or am I looking for more trouble .. if I read /understand correctly yes using the ethernet (hard line, as I call it) it suppose to work, but i could not get a direct connection to the server,, but fab 11 does. I think that question came up, with one of the conversations with fab's CS,that fab 11 had to be logged in to fab cn to get my server to correctly transfer from my pc temp file by path to server..

startting all over again is hard,, but its only time.. got some good help this go ..
              manythanks again guys..

Comment

Working...
              X