Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, we are now over a year since we have had an update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DaveH50
    replied
    Yes, I too was impressed with the DMS video quality when I first got it 3 years ago. However a lot of problems once I went over the 8TB drive limit.

What NAS do you recommend for an ethernet server? Ideally five 10TB drives which would give me 40TB storage using RAID5, for my 3200+ collection?

I use Eero for a mesh network as I don't want to run Cat6 all over my house, but each Eero puck has 2 ethernet ports on it and the system bandwidth should easily support 4K video transfer rates.

TIA,
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• JimS
    replied
    [QUOTE=Dead Eye It's a shame really because it was decent while it lasted.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's why I kept trying for so long to make it work as it was supposed to work. Out of the box, the picture quality of the DMS was great. Many of us had a problem with buffering using HD Audio on 4K movies via our servers using ethernet. This forum has at least informed folks that there are better solutions out there.

Leave a comment:

• Dead Eye
    replied
    JimS...totally agree with the NUC8 setup and the player app, that is the setup I have and I couldn't be happier. TeamFABs' admission of failure in this endeavor is self-evident in their silence and lack of support for the DMS product...it has proved to be to much to keep up with in combination with the other software commitments they have. It's a shame really because it was decent while it lasted.

Leave a comment:

• JimS
    replied
    Yes...I too have long since given up on the DMS. Many of us have been suffering with the above-mentioned 4K buffering problem. Not only has it not been fixed, but it never even gets addressed by the DMS staff. However, I did get something positive from the experience. It opened my eyes to other, and as lamster mentioned, much more useful possibilities. As the result of looking for something that meets my needs, I found both Zap.... and Zid....products, both of which produce better UHD servers and are a million times more responsive to the needs and desires of their customers.

Also, DVDFab's own "Player version 6" works far better than the DMS when coupled with one of the miniature Intel NUC computers (7th gen and above if you want UHD graphics) and something like Kodi. Works great with movies, tv shows, music and much more. Yes, there's a bit more of a learning curve and no internal hard drive (which gets unbelievably hot in the DMS), but the DVDFab Player gives excellent color reproduction and once it's set up to your liking, it stays that way.

I starting using the DMS over 3 years ago because I've long used other DVDFab products and all of them have proven superior to most of their competitors. I believe that the DMS falls short of DVDFab's normal standards and has damaged DVDFab's longstanding reputation. It would be refreshing for the DMS staff to just be honest with it's customers and admit that they've failed in this endeavor.

Leave a comment:

• lamster
    replied
    Move on to something else is my advice, something with better support for a start, With someone who tries to fix their customers problems and doesnt turn a blind eye to it if it cant be fixed, someone who will answer questions with answers not skirt around them or as we have found.....Ignore them!!!

How many replies you have had from the people above in THIS thread sums it up, just ignore it and it will all go away!!!!!!

I got that fed up with the 4k buffering over ethernet (after years and years posting about it with many others) that I went out and bought a Zid*o Z1000Pro, and its the best thing I have done, poster wall scrapes almost instantly, great advice/backup on the forum and best of all everything 4k/UHD streams over my network flawlessly

There has been more firmware updates since I got the Z1000 in March than the DMS has had from the start, they are mostly improvements and getting dolby vision working correctly for the different formats, not all are for bug fixes. Yes theres a few things they still need to address with say .iso files/menus but the thing is THEY LISTEN to the feedback and get on with fixing it. You dont wait months and months like here. Im sure that FAB have never done the firmwares its farmed out to otheres to do and now the player is a few years old they dont want to invest in it, lets be fair ts never been out of the beta stage ever.

IMO they should have never got into the player market and stuck to what they know, They have damaged their reputation with the lacklustre approach with the DMS. If they brng another unit out then I would avoid it like the plague.

I just hope that they have no stock left, so no other poor mug comes along and buys one expecting it to work like advertised

Go out any buy something better, then give the DMS to your kids or better still use it for something it excells at......a door stop!!!

Leave a comment:

• Well, we are now over a year since we have had an update.

So what are the plans for the DMS? Is this model abandoned? Is another in the works? Or was it just not widely adopted and not worth the effort?

Any actual update would be nice... I have been a fab fan for years, but the lack of support for the DMS is very disappointing.
Working...
X