Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, we are now over a year since we have had an update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metalheaddad01
    replied
    @JimS: Glad to help! Hope the Infuse setup works out for you!

Leave a comment:

• JimS
    replied
    : Just double checked and I can FF and RR with the Apple Siri remote in Infuse.
    metalheaddad01, I played around with both the Apple Siri remote and the Harmony remote and you are correct...FF and RR work on both remotes. I discovered that if I only quickly press the > button, it only skips ahead. But if I press and hold the > button, a little "1" appears and additional presses go to a max of "4" FF (and likewise, the RR). Thanks for letting me know.

Leave a comment:

• JimS
    replied
    Originally posted by metalheaddad01 View Post
    @JimS: (From Infuse forum) Infuse does support DTS-HD MA and TrueHD, and the full lossless audio will be sent to your receiver as LPCM. The decoding process itself is standardized between all Dolby/DTS certified products (Infuse is certified and licensed for both) so in the end there is no difference whether this decoding is done by Infuse or your receiver.

I've tested and compared audio from my DMS and Infuse and I can't tell a single difference with Infuse decoding and my receiver decoding. You just don't get the pretty "TrueHD" showing on the receiver but I can live with that since the audio quality is exactly the same.

Just double checked and I can FF and RR with the Apple Siri remote in Infuse. I do have the touchpad disabled though so not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Hope that helps! (For some reason I didn't get a notification that you replied to me so I'll check back periodically to see if there's any further questions!)
    Thanks, I will take a look at the FF and RR again. Have set everything up with my Harmony remote. As for the TrueHD etc. I do hear a huge difference. It may have to do with my sound system. I have 7.1.4 setup and there is a big difference running the same movie (e.g. Transformers: Age of Distinction) between the dolby digital on the Apple TV and my NUC running passthrough using DVDFab Player 6. Both audio is running through my Yamaha receiver. From day one I and several others have never been able to use our DMS with UHD movies using the best quality audio without horrible buffering problems.

Leave a comment:

• metalheaddad01
    replied
    @JimS: (From Infuse forum) Infuse does support DTS-HD MA and TrueHD, and the full lossless audio will be sent to your receiver as LPCM. The decoding process itself is standardized between all Dolby/DTS certified products (Infuse is certified and licensed for both) so in the end there is no difference whether this decoding is done by Infuse or your receiver.

I've tested and compared audio from my DMS and Infuse and I can't tell a single difference with Infuse decoding and my receiver decoding. You just don't get the pretty "TrueHD" showing on the receiver but I can live with that since the audio quality is exactly the same.

Just double checked and I can FF and RR with the Apple Siri remote in Infuse. I do have the touchpad disabled though so not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Hope that helps! (For some reason I didn't get a notification that you replied to me so I'll check back periodically to see if there's any further questions!)

Leave a comment:

• JimS
    replied
    Raethien Thanks for the info. I've researched (and bought) several media servers/streamers looking for the perfect one. I have Dune, Zidoo, Zappiti, DVDFab, Nuc and NVidia and they all have their plusses and minuses. I'm mostly interested in the 'perfect' UHD streamer for my Synology NAS. So far, the only minus that I can see is, as you mentioned, no true audio passthrough/bitstream. Because of the excellent video quality of both HDR and SDR, if Apple bought out Infuse and made it their default player, AND, added passthrough, Apple could charge another $100 per Apple TV and crush all of the companies I listed above. And with Apple support and updates...one could only dream.

P.S. It would be nice to have the option to choose a model with/without Siri...with/without passthrough.
    Last edited by JimS; 08-05-2021, 10:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Raethien
    replied
    @Jims: Pass thru audio is the one real let down with Infuse, Apple doesn't allow it on ATV since they want siri to be able to be mixed in at any given moment. On their page in the forums is a link to go petition Apple to allow it. I was hoping the issue would be resolved with the mac release but I don't think their product allows it on Mac either yet, not sure if it is again a limitation of Apple or something else. If/when they support Mac with full features i would go buy mac minis for every room lol.

Leave a comment:

• bobwyre
    replied
    It is a dead product since you can't buy them any more. Just like their DBD Backup program that vanished without a trace. It is stupid of them since they are going with all the streaming downloads....where are people going to store all those downloads? They shoot themselves in the foot for the future of that product!

Leave a comment:

• JimS
    replied
    @metalheaddad01: I set up my Apple TV 4K (gen 2) with Infuse Pro this morning. Video quality is outstanding. I do have a question though. I've got my ATV hooked up through my Yamaha receiver. Do you know of a way to passthrough the audio on the ATV to receive TrueHD? I can set the ATV to Atmos but that doesn't get me the TrueHD. I can use the 5.1 dolby digital setting but then I don't get the Atmos/TrueHD effect. Any ideas? Also, with Infuse, is there a way to FF movies? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• JimS
    replied
    Originally posted by metalheaddad01 View Post
    I finally gave up as well. Went with an Apple TV 4k and Infuse Pro setup and couldn't be happier. Everything actually works and plays properly with the added benefit of being able to play our movies on our iPhones\iPads.
    Thanks for the heads up on Infuse Pro. Never heard of it before. Tried it out on my macbook pro and it worked great with my Synology NAS. I have an Apple TV 4K in the sun room. Gonna try it out tomorrow to see if passthrough on my receiver will play atmos and truehd with it. Also want to check out how it delivers on hdr.

Leave a comment:

• metalheaddad01
    replied
    I finally gave up as well. Went with an Apple TV 4k and Infuse Pro setup and couldn't be happier. Everything actually works and plays properly with the added benefit of being able to play our movies on our iPhones\iPads.
    Last edited by metalheaddad01; 08-02-2021, 03:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JimS
    replied
    Originally posted by Movie Man View Post
    Well, I think the Movie Server is dead. I tried looking to purchase another one and it is no longer on their website. All they needed to do is get a good programmer and quality control in order and they would have a great Media Server!! It seams that DVD Fab is focusing on all the Streaming sites and not the Media Server. Very sad... Time to start looking for another player
    I think you are right...except I think it died long before the pandemic began. Since there are so many other good movie servers out there, my guess is that there haven't been enough sales and thus the lack of any real support for the DMS. Picture wise, the DMS is one of the best for UHD movies, but the lack of support and regular upgrades outweighs the picture quality. If you read this thread in full, you'll read about several other possibilities. DVDFab's Player v.6 is excellent and any NUC PC from 7th gen on (for UHD support) works great. I'm in the course of building a rasberry pi to test that out with Player and Kodi.

Leave a comment:

• Movie Man
    replied
    Well, I think the Movie Server is dead. I tried looking to purchase another one and it is no longer on their website. All they needed to do is get a good programmer and quality control in order and they would have a great Media Server!! It seams that DVD Fab is focusing on all the Streaming sites and not the Media Server. Very sad... Time to start looking for another player

Leave a comment:

• JimS
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveH50 View Post

OK thanks. So it sounds like you use RAID 1 without the RAID .
    With Synology it's called "Basic"...similar to "JBOD".

Leave a comment:

• DaveH50
    replied
    Originally posted by JimS View Post

I'm using a Synology DS2411+ with Seagate Exos 16TB drives for my 1080p Remuxes. I've got 4134 of them. I have a separate Synology DS2419+ with Seagate Exos 12TB drives for my 700+ UHD files. For my main home theater system I'm using 2 separate Intel NUC8i7 mini computers...one for 1080p and one for 2160p. I'm using Kodi 19.1 on both units. For my 1080p files I use Kodi's default player. For the NUC that has my UHD files, I'm using Kodi, but have default the player as DVDFab's Player 6 Ultra. I find the video on UHD files with DVDFab to be on the par with the DMS player. I use 2 different NUCs because 1080p and UHD require different video settings to give the best color etc. for each and it was a pain in the neck to have to change them each time.

P.S. I should have added that I don't use raid for my servers. I have separate duplicate drives (NTFS format) for each of my server drives.
    OK thanks. So it sounds like you use RAID 1 without the RAID .

Leave a comment:

• JimS
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveH50 View Post
    What NAS do you recommend for an ethernet server? Ideally five 10TB drives which would give me 40TB storage using RAID5, for my 3200+ collection?
    I'm using a Synology DS2411+ with Seagate Exos 16TB drives for my 1080p Remuxes. I've got 4134 of them. I have a separate Synology DS2419+ with Seagate Exos 12TB drives for my 700+ UHD files. For my main home theater system I'm using 2 separate Intel NUC8i7 mini computers...one for 1080p and one for 2160p. I'm using Kodi 19.1 on both units. For my 1080p files I use Kodi's default player. For the NUC that has my UHD files, I'm using Kodi, but have default the player as DVDFab's Player 6 Ultra. I find the video on UHD files with DVDFab to be on the par with the DMS player. I use 2 different NUCs because 1080p and UHD require different video settings to give the best color etc. for each and it was a pain in the neck to have to change them each time.

P.S. I should have added that I don't use raid for my servers. I have separate duplicate drives (NTFS format) for each of my server drives.
    Last edited by JimS; 07-09-2021, 02:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X