Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, we are now over a year since we have had an update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, we are now over a year since we have had an update.

So what are the plans for the DMS? Is this model abandoned? Is another in the works? Or was it just not widely adopted and not worth the effort?

Any actual update would be nice... I have been a fab fan for years, but the lack of support for the DMS is very disappointing.

Move on to something else is my advice, something with better support for a start, With someone who tries to fix their customers problems and doesnt turn a blind eye to it if it cant be fixed, someone who will answer questions with answers not skirt around them or as we have found.....Ignore them!!!

How many replies you have had from the people above in THIS thread sums it up, just ignore it and it will all go away!!!!!!

I got that fed up with the 4k buffering over ethernet (after years and years posting about it with many others) that I went out and bought a Zid*o Z1000Pro, and its the best thing I have done, poster wall scrapes almost instantly, great advice/backup on the forum and best of all everything 4k/UHD streams over my network flawlessly

There has been more firmware updates since I got the Z1000 in March than the DMS has had from the start, they are mostly improvements and getting dolby vision working correctly for the different formats, not all are for bug fixes. Yes theres a few things they still need to address with say .iso files/menus but the thing is THEY LISTEN to the feedback and get on with fixing it. You dont wait months and months like here. Im sure that FAB have never done the firmwares its farmed out to otheres to do and now the player is a few years old they dont want to invest in it, lets be fair ts never been out of the beta stage ever.

IMO they should have never got into the player market and stuck to what they know, They have damaged their reputation with the lacklustre approach with the DMS. If they brng another unit out then I would avoid it like the plague.

I just hope that they have no stock left, so no other poor mug comes along and buys one expecting it to work like advertised

Go out any buy something better, then give the DMS to your kids or better still use it for something it excells at......a door stop!!!

Comment

Yes...I too have long since given up on the DMS. Many of us have been suffering with the above-mentioned 4K buffering problem. Not only has it not been fixed, but it never even gets addressed by the DMS staff. However, I did get something positive from the experience. It opened my eyes to other, and as lamster mentioned, much more useful possibilities. As the result of looking for something that meets my needs, I found both Zap.... and Zid....products, both of which produce better UHD servers and are a million times more responsive to the needs and desires of their customers.

Also, DVDFab's own "Player version 6" works far better than the DMS when coupled with one of the miniature Intel NUC computers (7th gen and above if you want UHD graphics) and something like Kodi. Works great with movies, tv shows, music and much more. Yes, there's a bit more of a learning curve and no internal hard drive (which gets unbelievably hot in the DMS), but the DVDFab Player gives excellent color reproduction and once it's set up to your liking, it stays that way.

I starting using the DMS over 3 years ago because I've long used other DVDFab products and all of them have proven superior to most of their competitors. I believe that the DMS falls short of DVDFab's normal standards and has damaged DVDFab's longstanding reputation. It would be refreshing for the DMS staff to just be honest with it's customers and admit that they've failed in this endeavor.
      Peace, Jim

TV: Sony XBR-70X850B; Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3060; Speakers: KEF 7.2 Surround; NAS Server: Synology DS2411+; Home Theater: NUC8i7 Windows 10; DMS: Updated to v2.0.2.1 Beta; Zappiti:One 4K HDR; Connection: Direct Gigabit Ethernet

Comment

JimS...totally agree with the NUC8 setup and the player app, that is the setup I have and I couldn't be happier. TeamFABs' admission of failure in this endeavor is self-evident in their silence and lack of support for the DMS product...it has proved to be to much to keep up with in combination with the other software commitments they have. It's a shame really because it was decent while it lasted.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dead Eye It's a shame really because it was decent while it lasted.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's why I kept trying for so long to make it work as it was supposed to work. Out of the box, the picture quality of the DMS was great. Many of us had a problem with buffering using HD Audio on 4K movies via our servers using ethernet. This forum has at least informed folks that there are better solutions out there.
          Peace, Jim

TV: Sony XBR-70X850B; Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3060; Speakers: KEF 7.2 Surround; NAS Server: Synology DS2411+; Home Theater: NUC8i7 Windows 10; DMS: Updated to v2.0.2.1 Beta; Zappiti:One 4K HDR; Connection: Direct Gigabit Ethernet

Comment

Yes, I too was impressed with the DMS video quality when I first got it 3 years ago. However a lot of problems once I went over the 8TB drive limit.

What NAS do you recommend for an ethernet server? Ideally five 10TB drives which would give me 40TB storage using RAID5, for my 3200+ collection?

I use Eero for a mesh network as I don't want to run Cat6 all over my house, but each Eero puck has 2 ethernet ports on it and the system bandwidth should easily support 4K video transfer rates.

TIA,
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH50 View Post
              What NAS do you recommend for an ethernet server? Ideally five 10TB drives which would give me 40TB storage using RAID5, for my 3200+ collection?
              I'm using a Synology DS2411+ with Seagate Exos 16TB drives for my 1080p Remuxes. I've got 4134 of them. I have a separate Synology DS2419+ with Seagate Exos 12TB drives for my 700+ UHD files. For my main home theater system I'm using 2 separate Intel NUC8i7 mini computers...one for 1080p and one for 2160p. I'm using Kodi 19.1 on both units. For my 1080p files I use Kodi's default player. For the NUC that has my UHD files, I'm using Kodi, but have default the player as DVDFab's Player 6 Ultra. I find the video on UHD files with DVDFab to be on the par with the DMS player. I use 2 different NUCs because 1080p and UHD require different video settings to give the best color etc. for each and it was a pain in the neck to have to change them each time.

P.S. I should have added that I don't use raid for my servers. I have separate duplicate drives (NTFS format) for each of my server drives.
              Last edited by JimS; 07-09-2021, 02:40 AM.
              Peace, Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JimS View Post

I'm using a Synology DS2411+ with Seagate Exos 16TB drives for my 1080p Remuxes. I've got 4134 of them. I have a separate Synology DS2419+ with Seagate Exos 12TB drives for my 700+ UHD files. For my main home theater system I'm using 2 separate Intel NUC8i7 mini computers...one for 1080p and one for 2160p. I'm using Kodi 19.1 on both units. For my 1080p files I use Kodi's default player. For the NUC that has my UHD files, I'm using Kodi, but have default the player as DVDFab's Player 6 Ultra. I find the video on UHD files with DVDFab to be on the par with the DMS player. I use 2 different NUCs because 1080p and UHD require different video settings to give the best color etc. for each and it was a pain in the neck to have to change them each time.

P.S. I should have added that I don't use raid for my servers. I have separate duplicate drives (NTFS format) for each of my server drives.
                OK thanks. So it sounds like you use RAID 1 without the RAID .

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH50 View Post

OK thanks. So it sounds like you use RAID 1 without the RAID .
                  With Synology it's called "Basic"...similar to "JBOD".
                  Peace, Jim

Comment

Well, I think the Movie Server is dead. I tried looking to purchase another one and it is no longer on their website. All they needed to do is get a good programmer and quality control in order and they would have a great Media Server!! It seams that DVD Fab is focusing on all the Streaming sites and not the Media Server. Very sad... Time to start looking for another player

Comment

Originally posted by Movie Man View Post
                      Well, I think the Movie Server is dead. I tried looking to purchase another one and it is no longer on their website. All they needed to do is get a good programmer and quality control in order and they would have a great Media Server!! It seams that DVD Fab is focusing on all the Streaming sites and not the Media Server. Very sad... Time to start looking for another player
                      I think you are right...except I think it died long before the pandemic began. Since there are so many other good movie servers out there, my guess is that there haven't been enough sales and thus the lack of any real support for the DMS. Picture wise, the DMS is one of the best for UHD movies, but the lack of support and regular upgrades outweighs the picture quality. If you read this thread in full, you'll read about several other possibilities. DVDFab's Player v.6 is excellent and any NUC PC from 7th gen on (for UHD support) works great. I'm in the course of building a rasberry pi to test that out with Player and Kodi.
                      Peace, Jim

Comment

I finally gave up as well. Went with an Apple TV 4k and Infuse Pro setup and couldn't be happier. Everything actually works and plays properly with the added benefit of being able to play our movies on our iPhones\iPads.
                        Last edited by metalheaddad01; 08-02-2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalheaddad01 View Post
                          I finally gave up as well. Went with an Apple TV 4k and Infuse Pro setup and couldn't be happier. Everything actually works and plays properly with the added benefit of being able to play our movies on our iPhones\iPads.
                          Thanks for the heads up on Infuse Pro. Never heard of it before. Tried it out on my macbook pro and it worked great with my Synology NAS. I have an Apple TV 4K in the sun room. Gonna try it out tomorrow to see if passthrough on my receiver will play atmos and truehd with it. Also want to check out how it delivers on hdr.
                          Peace, Jim

Comment

@metalheaddad01: I set up my Apple TV 4K (gen 2) with Infuse Pro this morning. Video quality is outstanding. I do have a question though. I've got my ATV hooked up through my Yamaha receiver. Do you know of a way to passthrough the audio on the ATV to receive TrueHD? I can set the ATV to Atmos but that doesn't get me the TrueHD. I can use the 5.1 dolby digital setting but then I don't get the Atmos/TrueHD effect. Any ideas? Also, with Infuse, is there a way to FF movies? Thanks.
                            Peace, Jim

Comment

It is a dead product since you can't buy them any more. Just like their DBD Backup program that vanished without a trace. It is stupid of them since they are going with all the streaming downloads....where are people going to store all those downloads? They shoot themselves in the foot for the future of that product!

Comment

Working...
                              X