No announcement yet.

Ability to add external srt subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All software mentioned in this post is available free of charge.

Hi Alan,

Download BS Player, it is free:

When finished downloading/installing BS Player, right-click on your avi file and play/open it with BS Player.
    Next step is to drag/drop your SRT file into BS Player where your avi/movie is being played to test and make sure
    your srt subtitles are in sync with the audio.

If your subtitles and audio are in sync, then you are ready to proceed and apply permanent subtitles to your video/avi file.

Download SRT to SSA converter, it is free:
    Download SRT to SSA Converter, a software for converting DivX subtitles

This is necessary because Virtual Dub cannot see SRT, but it will see and read SSA files.
    Run the software and browse to your srt file(input file), then
    hit 'Convert' at the bottom.

Now that you have an SSA file, you're ready for 'VirtualDub'
    Download it here, it's free:

Unzip/extract the software upon download.

Download free software called 'Subtitler' here:

Once downloaded, place the file 'Subtitler.vdf' into "Virtual Dub > plugins" directory.

Run Virtual Dub.
    Click on Video > Filters > Add > Load > browse to Virtual Dub > plugins > Subtitler.vdf
    After opening Subtitler.vdf, in your 'Add Filter' box, scroll down and find Subtitler.vdf, double-click on it,
    and 'Subtitler: Configuration' will pop up, now browse to wherever you saved the .ssa file.
    Once that is done, click OK to close both boxes.

Within Virtual Dub; go to 'File > Open Video File' (browse to your avi file) to load the file.
    Now click on 'Video > Compression' and select the bottom option (Xvid MPEG-4 Codec),
    and click OK.

The last step is to go to 'File > Save as AVI' and choose a location where you want your avi saved.

That should be it. Sounds like a lot but once you have all the programs downloaded and installed(one time deal)
    you'll be ready for the next one, and after you've done it a few times, it won't even be that hard.

Questions? ask.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
      Greg’s seems like the simpler of the two to try first, and I’ll give it another go.
      When I last tried admittedly a long while ago with burning software (like Nero) I could only import/add one file (eg the .avi file) to Nero then it wanted to burn that file to the CD/DVD.
      There was not, I seem to recall, the ability to import the .avi file and the .srt file…
      Unless those two file were first placed in one folder.
      When I placed them in a folder and then burnt that folder onto the CD the pioneer DVD player could not “open” the folder.
      Very frustrating!

Love DVDFab:
      Thanks for that detailed explanation, I appreciate your time and will try your method.

I assume that if the subs are in sync with the audio when using windows media player (on computer) or when viewing on TV using a USB that I can omit your step one above ( i.e. omit the BS Player)?

Also when I have a final hard coded .avi file then I should burn that to CD/DVD using (eg) Nero as a data file?

Thanks again
      Alan

Comment

There are only two replies her that have any meaning, Love's and mine.

All the B/S about new versions, beta versions, logs etc are obviously either do not understand Fabs capabilities or the users requirements.

SIMPLY PUT, FAB WILL NOT DO IT !!! IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM, DO NOT BOTHER POSTING !!!

To burn the disc, start up your normal burning application and set it up for a DATA CD. Either add or drag and drop the AVI & SRT file to the root directory of the CD.

I just did it here in about 30 secs.

Love's solution MAY work but can be fraught by problems. Quite a lot of hardware and software players will NOT recognise the subtitle stream if "embedded" within the file.

The more modern containers such as MKV though will handle this with ease.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by alan117 View Post

I assume that if the subs are in sync with the audio when using windows media player (on computer) or when viewing on TV using a USB that I can omit your step one above ( i.e. omit the BS Player)?

Also when I have a final hard coded .avi file then I should burn that to CD/DVD using (eg) Nero as a data file?

Thanks again
          Alan
          Alan, you're welcome. I came to this forum to find help, and I found it. That's why I'm trying to help back.

Yes, if you know for sure that your subs are in sync with the audio, you can skip the BS Player step, it's just what I always use to double check. I personally don't need any subs but I do some charity work for a group of people that are either deaf or hard of hearing, I also create subtitles from scratch for some video recordings, that's where the subtitle experience comes from.

As far as burning goes, I used to use Nero Burning ROM (and other programs from the Nero Suite) but I quit burning a while ago, I now only do DVD to Mobile, so I would take GregiBoy's advice if I were you.

Actually, I would take his advice first since it's less complicated.

Comment

Greg and Love-Your Points are noted.
            Thanks again to both of you, very much appriciated!

Comment

Working...
            X