This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced subtitles

I know this has been discussed under other Topics in this forum, and excuse me if this is determined to be a duplicate, but I am posting about it here as a Feature Request. In the Blu-ray copy Main Movie mode (and maybe other modes as well, such as Full Disc copy), DVDFAB does not recognize a subtitle as being a "forced subtitle" (i.e., on by default) and the user has to manually turn this on (these are almost always translation subtitles when in a portion of the movie, a foreign language is spoken).

I have experienced this in every backup I have made that has a forced subtitle track, the latest being Dances With Wolves just today (for which I attached the log). However, for now, the only way to determine IF a specific subtitle is a forced subtitle is to watch the movie first before backing up (either in a standalone player or software player such as PowerDVD) and see if any subtitle tracks are automatically turned on, which is what I did with this title and other previous titles. Just an extra step and inconvenience to do before backing up. I know that as long as the track is copied, the user can manually turn this on while watching the backup, but with all the wonderful things DVDFab is able to do, I would think it would be a small task for DVDFab to automatically select and turn this on for the user by default. I did once again confirm that in the backup of the most recent title mentioned above, forced subtitle was NOT turned on by default when viewing it.

There must be some code or identifying tag that DVDFab should be able to recognize identifying a forced subtitle, since a player is able to do this. Could you PLEASE include this feature in future releases. If memory serves me right (though I may be wrong), older versions of Fab (8 and maybe 9) did have this feature, at least for DVD's, but would like to see it for Blu-ray copy.

Thank you!

dvdfab_internal.log
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LaciBacsi; 07-22-2018, 06:49 PM.

By the way, for some reason in my last post, I could not attach the log file, so I had to edit and insert. Thanks

Comment

Any reply to this? Do feature requests get acted upon, or are they simply ignored? (It appears the latter)

Comment

Hi LaciBacsi,

The forced subtitle in Copy Main Movie should display automatically.

After you turn on the subtitle to get the forced one, please turn it off and see if you still have the forced subtitle displaying or not.

Regards,
        Mona

Comment

No, in the Main Movie copy, the forced subtitle only shows when I manually turn it on in the player. When I turn it off, it does not turn back automatically. When I watch the original Bluray, forced subtitles are automatically displayed without any action needed from me. This has been the case with EVERY movie I have ever copied with DVDFab. My software player as well as my standalone playr both turn on forced subtitles by default, so I know they can detect it. But never with backups made with DVDFab.

As I stated above, I now preview the movie before making a backup, to make note of any forced subtitles automatically turned on. Then when making the backup, I manually have to select that track to be on by default (by making sure the small arrow/triangle is shown next to it). This work, but to have this done automatically would be nice!

Comment

Okay, we will see if we can reproduce and get back to you ASAP. Thanks.

Comment

Btw, I have seen this issue raised by other users on this forum as well, not just me.

Comment

Any update on this? Title after title, DVDFab does not set a forced subtitle to automatically turn on when making a main movie copy. I always copy all English subtitles knowing one of them could be a forced subtitle. I have yet to have DVDFab handle this properly. The only way I know there is a forced subtitle is to first watch the movie from the original and note which subtitle, if any, is automatically turned on by the payer. Then when I make a backup, I mark that subtitle as a default subtitle (white triangle on left side of the specific subtitle track) so it will automatically turn on when played in the player. This works but is a pain doing it this way and still wondering why DVDFab cannot recognize this and turn it one by default.

I had already given you a sample along with the internal log file last month. Are developers checking this? Or should I just keep doing it the manual way. Any update status on this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by LaciBacsi View Post
                  Any update on this? Title after title, DVDFab does not set a forced subtitle to automatically turn on when making a main movie copy. I always copy all English subtitles knowing one of them could be a forced subtitle. I have yet to have DVDFab handle this properly. The only way I know there is a forced subtitle is to first watch the movie from the original and note which subtitle, if any, is automatically turned on by the payer. Then when I make a backup, I mark that subtitle as a default subtitle (white triangle on left side of the specific subtitle track) so it will automatically turn on when played in the player. This works but is a pain doing it this way and still wondering why DVDFab cannot recognize this and turn it one by default.

I had already given you a sample along with the internal log file last month. Are developers checking this? Or should I just keep doing it the manual way. Any update status on this would be appreciated.

Thank you.
                  Try clicking common settings - general settings - click on the factory reset /default settings button
                  in the lower left corner of The general settings area.
                  Restart dvdfab and retry the subtitles again.

Comment

I may have tried that in the past but I'll try it again and see. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post

Try clicking common settings - general settings - click on the factory reset /default settings button
                      in the lower left corner of The general settings area.
                      Restart dvdfab and retry the subtitles again.
                      Have you ever noticed this behavior? I will retry Dances with Wolves later tonight after I reset to defaults since that is the sample I referenced earlier, but I am pretty sure I did try that in the past, but of course willing to try again.

Some other titles that have forced subtitles that DVDFab did not pick up as such are Avengers:Infinity Wars; Deadpool 2; The Internship; Spy; Assassin's Creed (All BD, US). These are just a very few. Some of these only use forced subtitles for a very small translation that is needed maybe for only a few seconds in the entire movie (such as The Internship) but the player still turned this subtitle track on automatically but DVDFab did not mark it a such in the Blu-ray copy :Main Movie backup. I had to manually discover and set all of these.

Anyways, will see what the reset does.

Comment

Well, as expected, resetting to defaults did not fix this.

In the original disc of my example of Dances with Wolves ( BD RA, US) , when playing the main movie (either standalone player or PC player), the 4th subtitle track, which is the 2nd English subtitle track, is automatically turned on by default. No user intervention is required! This track contains translation subtitles when members of the Indian tribe speak in their native tongue. When I make a main movie backup, I select both English tracks to be included in the backup. However, when playing the backup, the second English track is NOT turned on automatically. Of course, I can manually select the 2nd English subtitle to be on by default, but of course a user would have to know beforehand which subtitle track is a forced track, and the only way to do that now is to play the movie first and manually check. I know I am repeating myself, but wanted to clarify in the event the support staff doesn't understand the problem.

This has been the case with any movie I backup that has these forced subtitles. This has also been the case with the current and past DVDFab versions. I am pretty convinced it has nothing to do with my setup, as I have seen other complaints of this.

Why the developers can't fix this is beyond me. There must be some code or ID that identifies forced subtitle tracks. Many of my older DVDs that had these were identified properly, but none of the BDs.

I have not checked to see of this is the case with clone backup or full disc copy, but since my backups are usually main movie only, that would be a moot point. So until DVDFab developers can fix this I will have to continue using the manual discovery method, which really slows the workflow down.

What's odd is that Ripper has an option to display forced subtitles, as does converter. But not Blu-ray copy Main Movie mode. So there must be a way to identify these tracks.

Sorry if I get long winded in my posts, but I often try to explain things clearly, even at the risk of being repetitious, lol.

Comment

Mona Any update on this? Just to reiterate, what I am asking is that in Main Movie Blu-ray copy mode, DVDFab be able to correctly identify a forced subtitle track and then set it to be one by default. Automatically.

Thank you.

Comment

oops, I meant "on by default", not "one by default"

Comment

Any progress being made on DVDFab setting forced subtitle track as being on by default in the Main Movie copy mode? As of the latest release, it has still not been fixed yet. Any idea of when we might see this fixed? Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X