Media Player Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media Players Media Player Question

Forgive me if this is answered somewhere else. I've been using DVDFab products for a while now and they've been great. I would like to make the transition from discs to a network media player, but I've been searching and searching (and trying to do research on the internet as well) and I just can't seem to get a grip on which media player would be right for me in what I want to do.

I would like something that is user-friendly (I have an 8-year old boy and a 12-year old girl), and something that hopefully could stream to two TV's, if possible - although the last part is more a wish list than a firm requirement. My wish is to connect the player to one of my LG LCD TV's and then be able to also stream over my home network to the other LG LCD TV in the other room when needed. I don't know if this is possible or practical, but I was wondering if anyone has a setup that's similar to this?

I would like to be able to play DVD rips (either iso or folders), Blu-ray rips (either iso or folders - and these can be main movies or AVCHD main movies if full rips are not supported), and MKV.h264 rips. It would be nice to have full menu/chapter/subtitle support on the dvd/bd rips too, if possible. Along with this I would like it to support all of the common audio formats (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc). I have a PS3 now and I'm going crazy with the audio/video codec limitations. If it supports HD Audio, great, but I'm not set up for that now so it's not a real requirement.

I just have a tough time deciphering the specs of different players and seeing if any one of them would do what I would like it to do. I live in the United States, so if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

As a media player player from way back, I will say a couple of things!!!

1. Do not EVEN CONSIDER any WD Player such as WD TV WD TV Live. Fraught with problems. Just read the WD forums.

2. Do not EVEN CONSIDER wireless networking, Again this is fraught with problems. If you cannot hard wire the units, products such as the Netgear range of Ethernet over Power adapters are a good compromise.

3. "Streaming" is quite a misnomer with media players and has become unnecessary because most media players with an internal hard drive act as a NAS (Network Attached Storage) and files held on it are accessible over your network by other devices (eg: Over the weekend, my son and I hooked in his new iPad to his network and were able to play AVI's using VLC from his media player)

4. Looking at your requirements, I would go for 2 players, one networkable that supports a large hard disk, and one diskless that is networkable to go on your secondary display.

5. I have done just this with a couple of players that I import but are not available in the US, the Kaiboer H1073 Pluss (with 2Tb) and the M1073 (diskless). These players are Realtek 1073 chipset based and you should be able to get similar products in the US. My good friend. Maineman, reports good success with an Argosy player which is available there.

6. You may have to tone down your expectations. As far as I know, most players will support DVD menus when ripped as folders/ISO but not Blu-Ray.

Anyhow, I find this quite inefficient as MKV is the format of choice and I currently rip all my titles with album art, synopsis, multiple audio, multiple subitles and chapter breaks all present (Fab does not currently support these features but I understand that they are working on them but no timeframe has been indicated)

Hope this helps and has not confused the issue more.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thank you GregiBoy for your post. I decided to get the Argosy HV-335T (w/ 2TB HD). I'm getting it as a Xmas present for the family (but mostly for me, of course!)

Thank you again for all of your tips and suggestions. I really do appreciate it, and I'll definitely think about that MKV option. I hope Fab can get all of those features someday. That would be really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by CER View Post
        Thank you GregiBoy for your post. I decided to get the Argosy HV-335T (w/ 2TB HD). I'm getting it as a Xmas present for the family (but mostly for me, of course!)

Thank you again for all of your tips and suggestions. I really do appreciate it, and I'll definitely think about that MKV option. I hope Fab can get all of those features someday. That would be really cool.
        Good move.
        I bought the same Argosy last winter.
        Not much for bells and whistles, but it works great and plays everything I throw at it, but True HD sound.

My next purchase will be the Argosy HV677...
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I saw a Sony media player on sale today at Costco. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about it?

Comment

Originally posted by ram1009 View Post
            I saw a Sony media player on sale today at Costco. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about it?
            I don't know much about this player besides official itro and "consumer comments" that's available on internet. However, one thing I do know, that's SONY a pioneer of new "Cinavia" protection that is have no cure yet and causes a lot of heartburn for many users like you and me. I would discourage everyone from purchasing ANY products from SONY or made by SONY. I consider it unfair on SONY part to preclude me from making back up copy or convert into suitable me format legitimate media I have purchased. I hope you understand my point.
            sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by ram1009 View Post
              I would not even consider it. I agree wholeheartedly with IPopov's comments.

Basically GDMFPOS !!!
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post

Basically GDMFPOS !!!
                It's the same with me and for many other reasons.

Comment

Basically GDMFPOS !!!
                  You need to stop holding back, Gregiboy. Learn to express yourself.

Comment

I have to hold back otherwise I'll get banned!!!

Comment

I just got the Argosy HV335T with 2TB HDD last week. This was my first media player purchase so I have nothing else to compare it with. So far I am very pleased with the product. It has played everything so far and it is small enough to be portable.

I was getting a little frustrated with trying to make copies of my Blu-rays. There are still too many issues with compression to fit on 25GB discs. Discs that need no compression seem to work great. The cost of the media player will be offset by not purchasing as much blank media.

Comment

Originally posted by murffee1 View Post
                        I just got the Argosy HV335T with 2TB HDD last week. This was my first media player purchase so I have nothing else to compare it with. So far I am very pleased with the product. It has played everything so far and it is small enough to be portable.

I was getting a little frustrated with trying to make copies of my Blu-rays. There are still too many issues with compression to fit on 25GB discs. Discs that need no compression seem to work great. The cost of the media player will be offset by not purchasing as much blank media.
                        Congrats!!!
                        Another convert is welcomed to the ranks.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Basically GDMFPOS !!!
                          Oh for cryin' out loud Greg.
                          You need to stop sugarcoating everything...

I absolutely agree with Ipopov and GregiBoy

Comment

Where are you guys finding the Argosy HV335 with a 2TB drive?
                            I have only found 1.5tb for $200
                            Thanks

Comment

Never mind I found them on Amazon for $200 with the 2tb drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X