Media Player Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdeal823 View Post
    Never mind I found them on Amazon for $200 with the 2tb drive.
    Or you can just do what I did.
    Buy them separately and install the hdd of your choice.
    It'll take you all of 2 minutes.
    You'll get paid $30 for 2 minutes work and have the hdd of your choice (well my choice, but you get the idea)...

Right now at newegg:

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB for $79.99/free shipping, no tax for most of us.

These are great drives...I've got 5 of 'em

Argosy HV335T Mobile Video HDD Media Player for $89.99 free shipping, again, no tax

Comment

Originally posted by regnad kcin View Post
      Or you can just do what I did.
      Buy them separately and install the hdd of your choice.
      It'll take you all of 2 minutes.
      You'll get paid $30 for 2 minutes work and have the hdd of your choice (well my choice, but you get the idea)...

Right now at newegg:

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB for $79.99/free shipping, no tax for most of us.

These are great drives...I've got 5 of 'em

Argosy HV335T Mobile Video HDD Media Player for $89.99 free shipping, again, no tax
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-004-_-Product
      I did same thing, got directly from Newegg & chose my own HD to install. I've been putting movies on server drives on hard wire local net & this player works great!

jak

Comment

Thanks for info on the harddrives I did not know that the argosy has a compartment to add your own Hard Drive. good to know. however I bought the 2tb one before i know that.

Well Here is what I bought, an LG WH12LS30K BD Burner and a Argosy HV335T-0020T 2TB Home Media Player. I think the format that I want to use is MKV.H264

Hopefully I will have everything by this thursday.

Comment

Another big plus about Argosy is that every once in a while they will release a firmware upgrade on their website which then can be d/l-ded onto a flash drive(USB Stick) and installed on your Argosy device.

Comment

Not meaning to Hijack...I just figured this is the right place to ask.

I just bought the Argosy HV335T with a seperate 2 TB Caviar drive that I will be installing, I got both from Amazon. I have a few questions for those of you already ripping to this device.I have a collection of 600 DVDs that are probably gonna get relegated to this device to clear out some shelf space in the living room.

I'd prefer to keep the rips in the original DVD format and I'll probably be ripping main movie only to save space on the Argosy. Are there any drawbacks to using DVD format?

The less steps I have to take, the better so, Is it possible or have you guys ripped directly to the Argosy drive via USB?

How are you guys organizing all your files so that they can be found easily?

Also...Can the Argosy play from an external USB Hard Drive when there is already an internal HD attached?

Thanks Guys

Comment

Congrats.

The big drawback is file size.
              I have 100's of TV series and older flicks in an .avi format. They look great and take up roughly 20-25% of the original.

No problem ripping to the Argosy via usb.

I just organize alphabetically...whatever # of of letters suits you.
              I tried via genre, but it was way too complicated.

Also no problem with playback via usb.
              I have a mediasonic JBOD (with 5 x 2T hdds) with all my BD rips.
              Playback is great

Comment

Congrats.

The big drawback is file size.
                I have 100's of TV series and older flicks in an .avi format. They look great and take up roughly 20-25% of the original.

No problem ripping to the Argosy via usb.

I just organize alphabetically...whatever # of of letters suits you.
                I tried via genre, but it was way too complicated.

Also no problem with playback via usb.
                I have a mediasonic JBOD (with 5 x 2T hdds) with all my BD rips.
                Playback is great
                Thanks for the reply.I have a 65" 1080p tv so a 1 gig movie file looks like crap on it. DVD quality is just about the bare minimum I wanna see on that TV.

Some people have talked about ripping a DVD to VOB rather than ISO format...whats better?

Does it matter to the Argosy for optimum playback?

Comment

Neither....

Argosy users on this forum report very good results using the Samsing TV profile that is posted in the "New Profiles" area, certainly as a start point.

H264 is far more efficient video encoding than what is used on DVD's.

Comment

Originally posted by StormTrooper View Post
                    Neither....

Argosy users on this forum report very good results using the Samsing TV profile that is posted in the "New Profiles" area, certainly as a start point.

What "new Profiles" area.... where is that? In the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Xalky View Post
                      What "new Profiles" area.... where is that? In the forum?
                      He's referring to this profile:

samsung.avi.h264.audiocopy.txt

which is contained in this thread:

This is an extremely practical and efficient conversion profile.
                      Go ahead and experiment and tweak it as you wish since you have a 65" 1080p tv and see where your sweet spot is.

I can tell you this profile looks awesome on a 42" 1080p just the way it is.

Comment

Go ahead and experiment and tweak it as you wish since you have a 65" 1080p tv and see where your sweet spot is.

Oh OK...thanks again. I've been backing up DVDs for years but this is all new territory for me.

How do you spell Nick Danger backwards...

Comment

Originally posted by Xalky View Post
                          How do you spell Nick Danger backwards...
                          "Anchovies? You've got the wrong man. I spell my name Danger."

LOL, I wonder how many of us old, Firesign Theater fans are left?

Comment

Originally posted by LoveDVDFab View Post
                            Another big plus about Argosy is that every once in a while they will release a firmware upgrade on their website which then can be d/l-ded onto a flash drive(USB Stick) and installed on your Argosy device.
                            Great info I will keep a look out for this. Thanks!

And More Great info. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by StormTrooper View Post
                              Neither....

I'm sure its a great profile but very time consuming to do for 600 dvds . I just wanna rip it to the argosy HD...quickly, down and dirty. Transcoding is not an option, at least not at these speeds.

Comment

After trying VOB passthrough and Samsung Profile I decided to just rip to DVD folders onto the ARGOSY. It's simple, quick, and I get to keep all the DVD menu functionality. The downside is I lose some HD space but I get to keep perfect DVD video.

Comment

Working...
                                X