No announcement yet.

Is 3D dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4K brings better colors and more of them that 2k that can't come close to. With this and the fact that 2k copy's of 4k prints are outstanding with more detail in the 2k copy than if filmed in 2k.

Many blu rays in 2k get made or remade from 4k masters.You can see how much better with more detail the 2k movie has if viewed side by side.So if you can see the difference from a 2k movie made from a 4k master than as sure as the sun will come out tomorrow your going to see more detail and better color and brightness in a 4k tv with 4k native film.

3d can add a great amount of you are their and effects add a great deal to movies. I have almost every 3d movie so I can tell you this is true.I believe by the number of new releases that 3d is going to be here to stay.

Movie theater 3d is different from home 3d but they also are starting to bring this type of 3d to home sets so you really have to try the different types of 3d some use shutter glasses some newer sets use no glasses so before you knock it maybe finding out and seeing the different types of 3d sets on the market may be something you should at least check out.

Their are some people that can't take shutter glasses as bright flashing lights can bring on different types of illness and people with mental illness should not watch 3d movies at all because of this.

Comment

I've viewed some 3D at stores but it's not impressed me.

It's not seen as much of a success at Satt TV forums that I visit daily. It's seen as a fad that hasn't gained momentum as yet.

I have a friend that knows a Sony factory Rep and his info is that 3D didn't take off like the industry had hoped. That may change at some point.

I still have my '08 Panasonic 50" Plasma set and it's all I need for a while.

Comment

Most of the people that knock 3d don't have it and may of seen it in stores.Like everything else some 3d movies are not well made and some just turn a 2d movie into 3d they never look as good as a filmed in 3d movie.

I seen very poor 3d and great 3d.Everybody that's seen my 3d 60 inch plasma says my presentation of a 3d movie is even better than in theaters.A lot of people don't know how to adjust their 3d tvs for the best 3d picture which is different from normal TV watching.Their are now 3d rental clubs that rent both kinds of movies so you can view them before you buy them.

A lot of people have poor presentations as they just can't use the same settings as for normal viewing.You have to account for the dimmer picture by adjusting the tv for 3d.I have seen people pay 3 grand for a great tv and not spend a extra $300 to have the TVs gray scale and color adjusted which makes a Hugh difference in most sets.

3D is not for everyone and if they came out with the no glasses needed 3d in the start I think 3d would of been in the main stream as that's the one thing most people don't like about it as its a pain and darkens the picture.

Their is no shortage of 3d movies their are hundreds out now with new ones out every week.If you see a good presentation of a made for 3d movie such as Avatar you may change your mind about 3d.

Their are at least 3 kinds of 3d tv types now on the market including no glasses 3d.Until you seen all 3 you really can't knock something before seeing all the options.

As always to each his own I just wanted to give a fair shake to a great feature as anything to improve a movie to make you feel like your their is a improvement if done correct to take you on a trip away from everyday life for 2 hours or so that's what a good movie doe's until holograms arrive.

Comment

As you said Glenn, each to his own and I am firmly on the negative side.

As I said previously, I have had over 40 years of experience with 3D and abhor the current state of play in the entertainment industry and posted the original item because it appears to validate what I felt was happening here in Australia.

Maybe this is what is wrong with the rest of us:-

"People with mental illness should not watch 3d movies at all because of this."
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

The issue that I've seen with 3D HDTV's is that it's being somewhat forced on the consumer. In other words, when I look at current HDTV's, they're almost all 3D-Ready.

The reason that I wonder about this is what I saw at a friend's house recently.

I was at a friend's house where he recently bought a 60" "LG" brand 3D-Ready LED TV.

I had brought over some of my standard DVD's to see how they looked on his new TV.

When I was watching the DVD's, the picture looked strange. It's hard to describe but it had the appearance of a "semi-3D" picture with an appearance of a video-taped picture vs a filmed picture.

Compared to my TV's picture, it was a night & day comparison.

I have a 50" Panasonic 2D Plasma TV and am watching from about 8.5 feet from the screen via an upconverted 2D DVD Player thru HDMI.

We were watching my DVD's with his 3D-Ready Blu-Ray player so that is a factor that may have contributed to, or was the source of the picture that I was seeing on his TV when watching 2D standard DVD's.

I did experiment with some of his LED TV settings but I didn't see any effect to adjust the picture to a "film-like" appearance and to disable or eliminate the "3D-appearance" in the picture.

Glenn, you brought up a good point regarding the 3D marketing scene. That is, I can see an attraction to the mainstream consumer who is primarily interested in more current programming/movies.

Since I'm not in that group of the market, that's a main reason I'm not interested in 3D home equipment or 3D movies.

I have an extensive collection of mainly older movies and older TV shows on DVD and I'm viewing them with upconverted 1080p from my DVD player and I'm satisfied with the results.

Comment

New tv's have a control that can make film look like video most don't like this and turn it off.Different tv's call it different names so in order to adjust the new set correct you should always read the tv manual.

This is even more important in a new led tv.The 3d should also be adjusted on a separate setting so theirs one setting for movies and one for 3d.(90 percent won't read a tv manual) to find out how to adjust their new sets.

People just think they know it all because tvs have only a few things to adjust.This is so so wrong your not using you farthers xl 100 no more these new tv's are computer monitors with many adjustments a lot of them your farther never heard of that effects everything such as Gamma.\

Most of these new 3d sets have a feature that turns regular tv into 3d most don't do it well except for Samsung tv's that really add depth to a non 3d film to make it look 3d.

P.S. Older classics are being made into 3d examples are Wizard of oz(1939),Casablanca(clasic),Beauty & the beast,March of the wooden soldier's,Stars wars movies,3 stooges and more on the way.

If I was your friend with a new 3d Led set I would read the manual every page and spend time to set it up correctly as this will make all the difference in the world.
              Last edited by glenns; 08-21-2013, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Glenn,

Good luck on getting users to RTFM.....

You should well know by now that it's only about 2% of users like you and I that do!!
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

House of Wax 3D

Wanted to share. Back in the day in the 50's sometime a movie called House of Wax came out in 3D. I was born in 40 so I was a puppy. My Dad took me to see House of Wax in 3D. We wound up laughing at the fact that everyone was dodging the things being 'thrown' to the audience, believe there was one of those ping pong paddles with a rubber attachment to a ball. Everyone was dodging that ball and then all laughed at watching others ducking away from things. 3D didn't catch on. Of course it was in black and white and old film.

I tell youngsters about our technical expertise at the time. Family and friends would sit around a black and white tv about 30 minutes before shows came on(6 o clock or so) watching a test pattern waiting for Eddie Cantor or others to come on the tv. I was in charge of the technical part, by turning the antennae this way or that until the test pattern was perfect. We thought it was a gift from on high.

So my widescreen tv with 1080p is something else. Watched a show on Scifi that showed life under the sea. 3D would not have helped a bit.
                  No one else in my family cares that much for 3D. Although we do give plus marks for the animated Pixar types that do show real d 3d Imax or whatever.
                  But from where I came from, trust me, my widescreen 1080P is awesome without 3D. Some like and some don't but as a very smart man already said in this forum...it probably won't make it. Need to get rid of those glasses and have the actors and actresses come out of the screen and turn your antennae. Then you're talking. Buster

Comment

Glenn,

Good points about knowing your (our) products. If that were my 3D-Ready LG LED TV, I'd have read the instructions

I was a somewhat late arriver into the HDTV scene back in '08. I bought a Panasonic Plasma 50" after doing some legwork at local stores, where I test-viewed various HDTV's with some of my DVD's.

Most of my DVD collection consists of older TV/DVD shows with some older movies.

I'm happy with my setup and am not motivated to enter the 3D market since I have an extensive DVD collection of older TV shows viewed via HDMI on an upconversion 1080p DVD player.

I know about some of the recent DVD 3D releases of older movies but am not interested in entering the market at present.

The main issue that I see with the mfg'ers effort to steer the mainstream consumer into 3D is the proliferation of the 3D-Ready HDTV's at local stores.

If it's a universal fact that all 3D-Ready HDTV's are easily set to a 2D output, which is the same picture setting as what I view on my 2D HDTV, then that's a good thing.

When I was at my friend's house, I didn't see, after briefly looking over his 3D TV menu options, a setting that would turn off any or all 3D-Ready/simulated picture parameters, or, as you mentioned previously, a setting that outputs the video input as a "film-like" picture vs the "video-tape" appearance in picture.

That is not to say that I'm implying that these options weren't available on his TV; but that I didn't see them readily available in his TV's menu options.

Comment

Sometimes the menu's to adjust some settings are sub menu's of the main menu.My 60 inch Samsung has main menu's then sub menu's and the feature your looking for is called different things by different company's so unless you refer to the manual you don't know what the setting is or how to find it.

Their are also settings in most tv's that you have to use a combination of buttons on the remote control to get to the service menu where their are settings to adjust things consumers shouldn't adjust so their hidden.

Most tv's have a 3d setting with controls for 3d depth and other adjustments just for 3d.Most set up a setting just for 3d like say video 1 for 3d then adjust brightness and color gamma and contrast because with 3d if your using shutter glasses that will dim the picture so you have to run the gamma,brightness and contrast at a higher setting than for normal viewing.

You can set video 2 for regular tv and movie watching.When you play 3d you use video 1 selected by remote control.If you don't do this then your 3d viewing will be dark and 3d effects won't pop as much.My advice is read the whole manual and use a set up disk if you want to get the setting correct.

To dark you loose shadow details to bright you wash out detail.colors should look correct not extra green grass because real grass doesn't look extra green,black people should look black and white people shouldn't look like everybody's got a tan or sunburn.It's best to use a test disk for this.When setting 3d run a movie with your glasses on and adjust for best picture but get the color correct before you put the glasses on.

Comment

I have an LG 55LM7600 and there are numerous settings specifically for the 3D effects. There are also settings to make the picture more film-like. It takes some playing around with the settings as well as reading the manual. Also, the forums on AVSFORUM are a very helpful aid with adjustments.

3D is not for everybody. My wife and I do watch 3D movies and enjoy the experience. We do NOT feel dizzy after taking the glasses off. The passive glasses are very light and are basically no different then wearing normal eyeglasses. I think that as long as Hollywood will create 3D movies for the theater, there will be a market for Blu-ray 3D movies. Granted, there is nothing to watch in 3D on regular television but Blu-ray 3D was really the reason for its existence.

Comment

Working...
                        X