Is 3D dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything Else Is 3D dead?

I thought that this article which I have posted at the bottom accurately summed up the current state of 3D in Australia. I cannot say that I am surprised.

For those of you that may think Australia is a technological backwater, I suggest that you think again because most major manufacturers use Oz as a test market before hitting the US & Europe with their products.

I AM gonna say "I told you so"!

What amazes me though is the lack of comment from the manufacturers. What does not amaze me is that when most new TV purchasers are asked whether 3D was part of their purchase decision, it is outstandingly negative.

As an aside, I have been involved with the use of 3D since the late 60's as we utilised 3D technology for the mapping of Australia and the concerns that we had then still exist today.

The main concerns we had were:-

When objectively tested, only 32% of our potential stereogrammetric operators could see 3D effectively! I cannot see this having changed and have actually been in situations where people are telling you they are seeing 3D when they are not. I tend to call these people "3D Wankers".

An 8 hour work day had to be reduced to 4 hours for those working on the 3D equipment because of eye strain & headaches.

A one hour downtime had to be allowed and enforced at the end of each shift as their depth perception was way out of kilter and they were unsafe to drive.

Vale 3D television, born 2009, died 2013. Deeply mourned by television manufacturers, hardly noticed by buyers.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

and have actually been in situations where people are telling you they are seeing 3D when they are not. I tend to call these people "3D Wankers".
    These generally the same people that can ALWAYS tell the difference between DVD & Blu-Ray rips and the original but when tested objectively are proved totally wrong.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I really hope it dies rather sooner than later.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
      MultiShrink
      : DVD Shrink batch processing
      Offizieller Ãœbersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

Comment

Yesterday wouldn't have been soon enough for me!

Comment

+1 on this. It gives me blinding migranes. Can't even watch it in a showroom. It's not nice to fool mother nature. Bring on 4K instead!
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Oh no Signals!!!

Not like you to fall for another marketing ploy. Don't get me started on that one.

The human eye can only see so much detail. 4k is for "Pixel Peepers" i.e. Someone that wants to watch a 60" screen from 2'!!!

Comment

This is the an example of the 3D equipment we used to use.

A far cry from today's 3D TV but highly accurate.

PS: That's me scratching my head!!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Especially for Signals!!!

Generally, when the resolution of an image is increased, the image is cleaner, crisper and more detailed.The caveat is, the image will not appear cleaner, crisper and more detailed, if the increase in resolution and the accompanying detail exceeds the visual system of the observer. If you exceed the viewer’s visual system, there will be no perceived gain in image quality. For an HDTV image to gain a qualitative increase, what is important is that the resolution per degree of arc (or angular resolution) increases, not just the total pixel count of the display.

Comment

I also agree with everyone.
                  I went to the movie theater to see Despicable Me 2 in 3D, when I took off the glasses to walk out, I felt like I had been drinking all night.
                  Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Cheap Drunk!!!!

Comment

I love my whiskey!!!!
                      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Nothing like a Glenmorangie Single Malt!!

Not that sour mash rubbish that you Norte Americano Maricons drink!!

Comment

Tastes like iodine to me mate!
                          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

LOL But Greg, Sony is behind it so it MUST be good for the consumer, like Cinavia! It will probably give me a headache too.

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                            Oh no Signals!!!

Not like you to fall for another marketing ploy. Don't get me started on that one.

The human eye can only see so much detail. 4k is for "Pixel Peepers" i.e. Someone that wants to watch a 60" screen from 2'!!!
                            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

All I can say is "Remember Betamax"!

Comment

Working...
                              X