This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
    I never said that I had 10 TV's. I have multiple players connected to each of 3 TV's in the house for usually testing purposes as my business imports players from China to Australia.

There is a couple of other things that can also be factored in.....

The time taken to actually burn the disks
    The fact that over time, the dye on the disks may deteriorate so backup of data is vital in both cases.
    You're really grasping at straws now, besides you just divulged why you want everybody to use these players

Comment

I'm not clutching at straws. Once you have experienced the ease with you can access your media library anywhere in your house, you really get hooked.

My setup is way bigger than Maineman's as I have 8Tb of NAS storage running a uPnP server and it just takes away all the hassle. The originals are actually locked in a fireproof safe.

Nah, I do not target members of this forum as potential customers and never have in over 6 years of contribution to this and the previous forum. We only sell them in Oz, which would only be a small percentage of members.

It is just that I have been involved in the research, development & testing of this class of device for over 8 years and a definite promoter of this terminology.

Spend a $100 on a WDTV and see how right I am.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

At this point i think this subject should be changed to disc vs. harddrive. But im not taking anyones side one this since I like both ideas media players are great for watching tv shows especially (you can watch a whole season without having to change the discs in the player). But I have to admit it is handy having things on disc. I think a good solution is getting a really dependable bd-re and have all your movies stored on a harddrive and when you want one of your movies on a disc you can just burn it and take it where ever then later erase it. It is interesting how basically nobody uses cds anymore its all mp3 maybe technology will advance to where mkvs or some similar container will do the same with movie discs of course movies are a lot more complex than music.

Comment

I'm not clutching at straws. Once you have experienced the ease with you can access your media library anywhere in your house, you really get hooked.

My setup is way bigger than Maineman's as I have 8Tb of NAS storage running a uPnP server and it just takes away all the hassle. The originals are actually locked in a fireproof safe.

Nah, I do not target members of this forum as potential customers and never have in over 6 years of contribution to this and the previous forum. We only sell them in Oz, which would only be a small percentage of members.

It is just that I have been involved in the research, development & testing of this class of device for over 8 years and a definite promoter of this terminology.

Spend a $100 on a WDTV and see how right I am.
          I don't dispute anything you say. I may very well buy one of the devices but today I'm more interested in burning Blueray disks. BTW, I believe you don't target members (except maybe me) however you are as you said a "promoter of this terminology", and you are promoting it here where many members could become interested. Now I asked for suggestions and this is a good one however it would have been a simple matter to say up front that you were an importer of these devices and therefore had an unique knowledge of their functionality. No big deal though.

Comment

ram1009 if you would like to know if your computer is capable of backing up Blu-ray need the computer specs. Also you did say you are not set up for Blu-ray yet so I assume you not buy a Blu-ray set top player as of yet. Do you have a TV that has HDMI? Do you have a stereo system that has HDMI for the True HD sound that is provided on the Blu-ray movies? You also mentioned about data loss when using HDDs and a physical copy is needed, well that is where the original Blu-ray movie comes into play that you would place in a safe place where it not get damaged or lost.

I just started doing Blu-ray and only have a BD-rom for my computer and 3 BD movies but since you want a physical disc then would need to know exactly what you are looking for so we can give you some suggestions other than media players and such

Comment

Ahhhh.....

Maineman, it looks like I have another convert convinced to the viability of media players rather than burning disks!!!
              You do indeed my good man!!!...
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                ram1009 if you would like to know if your computer is capable of backing up Blu-ray need the computer specs. Also you did say you are not set up for Blu-ray yet so I assume you not buy a Blu-ray set top player as of yet. Do you have a TV that has HDMI? Do you have a stereo system that has HDMI for the True HD sound that is provided on the Blu-ray movies? You also mentioned about data loss when using HDDs and a physical copy is needed, well that is where the original Blu-ray movie comes into play that you would place in a safe place where it not get damaged or lost.

I just started doing Blu-ray and only have a BD-rom for my computer and 3 BD movies but since you want a physical disc then would need to know exactly what you are looking for so we can give you some suggestions other than media players and such

I just ran the BD ADVISOR and the only suggestions were to update my video driver and buy a Blueray drive. I do have a Sony Bravia 46" LCD TV with proper inputs and will buy a set top player after I learn the ropes of making Bluerays. I'll be listening through a headset. It's the burner and media I'm most concerned with.

Comment

OK so you need a BD drive and I think LG drives are pretty good as I bought a BD-rom not sure about burner but I'm sure if the LG DVD drives are good then the BD drives are as well. The graphics card should be updated and you can find a fairly cheap one that can be used for BD. As for the blank media I have no idea what is good as I find them to be too expensive at the moment so wil have to have another member post about that but I do recomend buying 1 or 2 BD-RE (rewritable) so you not waste a expensive BD blank during your trial and error as BD is a hit or miss at the moment for people just starting with it

Comment

OK so you need a BD drive and I think LG drives are pretty good as I bought a BD-rom not sure about burner but I'm sure if the LG DVD drives are good then the BD drives are as well. The graphics card should be updated and you can find a fairly cheap one that can be used for BD. As for the blank media I have no idea what is good as I find them to be too expensive at the moment so wil have to have another member post about that but I do recomend buying 1 or 2 BD-RE (rewritable) so you not waste a expensive BD blank during your trial and error as BD is a hit or miss at the moment for people just starting with it
                    You misread, my GPU is fine, I only need to update the driver. I have looked at the LG burner on Newegg. There are several negative reviews but then there always are. My only issue with it is that it probably doesn't come with any software to play Blueray. The Pioneer burner is $60 more but has Cyberlink software which isn't well reviewed. I've asked several times here for any freeware to play Bluerays but nobody has responded. I guess there isn't any. I was planning to buy a BD-RE for all the reasons you mention. The BD-Rs are too expensive to experiment with.

Comment

Look at the retail BD Drives and not OEM ones as the OEM do not come with any software. I'm not sure what freeware is available for watching BD but TMT3 (TotalMediaTheatre3)is pretty good but not free. You could read up on the free VLC player but not sure if it plays blu-ray

Comment

Look at the retail BD Drives and not OEM ones as the OEM do not come with any software. I'm not sure what freeware is available for watching BD but TMT3 (TotalMediaTheatre3)is pretty good but not free. You could read up on the free VLC player but not sure if it plays blu-ray

Newegg only has 4 internal BD drives. Three of them come with Cyberlink that reviewers don't like and the fourth (the LG) may or may not have software. I have VLC but I doubt it plays BD. Strangely, BD advisor says I have player software. It just doesn't say what it is.

Comment

Working...
                        X