This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you again for your advice.

I just did a search on them, they are available here and sound great, but they are some $A550.

As I have no further/future use for it except to scan through these slides we were left by my Parents, and save some of them as digital photos, I cannot possibly justify that kind of expense.

I guess you get what you pay for as usual, however some of these things are available for around $A100 or so, can anyone recommend any of these types?

Comment

David,

What you said is correct, "You get what you pay for"

I have tried a few of the ~$199 thingys with similar results to you and I now will just stick with my trusty HP kit.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Geesh, that's horrible.
        I just took a look and as of today:
        $0.86 USD = $1 AUD

I paid $159 in 2008 for my scanner.
        Right now Wallyworld is selling this same scanner in the US for $189.

Like I said, you need to talk to another Aussie
        GregiBoy is usually around and can help you out

//Edit
        Hahahaha, well there's the old fart now...
        Takes one to know one...
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

And the HP SCANJET G4010 USB2.0, SLIDE+NEG is available for only $339 @ umart.com.au
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Well, we are both in that very exclusive "DVD Fab Old Farts Club"

Originally posted by maineman View Post
            Hahahaha, well there's the old fart now...
            Takes one to know one...

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              David,

What you said is correct, "You get what you pay for"

I have tried a few of the ~$199 thingys with similar results to you and I now will just stick with my trusty HP kit.
              Okay, thank you.

I wasn't sure if I just had a dodgy unit, or that is as good as they do, seems it is the latter, so I won't buy another cheap one.

Comment

hi david
                i have an old cannon scanner which came with a 35 mm slide reader adapter as part of the unit......it was a d660u usb flatbed scanner. they may still have the same option on the newer models......worth a try ...
                sorry about your loss

Comment

davidh
                  When scanning from your printer do you have options on DPI when scanning ?
                  Reason for asking I have and older HP PSC 2210 and when scanning I get a screen prompt where I can choose DPI settings for a more through scan which results in higher quality picture. I guess its kind of like printing fast draft, normal ,best, photo quality.
                  CBR929
                  Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by mrglasair View Post
                    hi david
                    i have an old cannon scanner which came with a 35 mm slide reader adapter as part of the unit......it was a d660u usb flatbed scanner. they may still have the same option on the newer models......worth a try ...
                    sorry about your loss
                    Thank you.

I just phoned Canon Australia after reading your post, no such luck, they do have some models that will do slides, but it means buying a whole new scanner, prices from around $A250.

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
                      davidh
                      When scanning from your printer do you have options on DPI when scanning ?
                      Reason for asking I have and older HP PSC 2210 and when scanning I get a screen prompt where I can choose DPI settings for a more through scan which results in higher quality picture. I guess its kind of like printing fast draft, normal ,best, photo quality.
                      CBR929
                      Just been checking, doesn't give me an option each time, but I went into the settings and increased it to the maximum, 600dpi, still not good.

Canon said that the difference between the ones that will do slides (700F, 5600F and 8800F) and mine that won't is that they have a light inside.

Comment

Usually a backlight behind the slide. Why not try a bit of black cardboard over the scanning plate with a hole cut in it to fit the slide and sit a good flouro/lcd torch behind it.

I can remember doing something like this about 15 years ago when I was stuck.

Comment

davidh
                          Have you also considered going to your local photo lab and or photo shop and getting a price on the large quantity of slides that you have? They may be a better option considering the time involved to scan, fix and put on a DVD!!!
                          CBR929
                          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                            Usually a backlight behind the slide. Why not try a bit of black cardboard over the scanning plate with a hole cut in it to fit the slide and sit a good flouro/lcd torch behind it.

I can remember doing something like this about 15 years ago when I was stuck.
                            Just tried that too thanks, but not very satisfactory.

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
                              davidh
                              Have you also considered going to your local photo lab and or photo shop and getting a price on the large quantity of slides that you have? They may be a better option considering the time involved to scan, fix and put on a DVD!!!
                              CBR929
                              No I hadn't actually, that may be the best option, especially as there are not a large number that we really want to keep, just the ones with Family in them, not all the scenes etc.

Comment

Finally success............

I did what I should have done before, checked exactly what my Sister was using, they have a OTEK film and slide digital scanner which they bought from Crazy Clark's of all places (for those of you not in Australia it is a discount store/junk shop sort of) on special for $A59.

I went to our local outlet this afternoon, couldn't see any so I asked and the guy found a couple out the back, marked as $A99, but as they were wanting to move the last couple I got it for only $A44-97c.

Anyway, it works great, well as good as I need anyway.

Thank you all for your help and your kind words at our recent sad loss.

Comment

Working...
                                X