This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help PLEASE with some technology?

This is not about DVD Fab, or even DVDs, but I am hoping you will allow it as I need some help, and it does not conflict with DVD Fab.

My Father passed away some years ago and now my Mother last week, we have just been given hundreds and hundreds of slides (photo slides if that is the right word) that my father took over the last 40 years or so of our Family, not commercial photography with any copyright issues, just Family photos.

We have no slide projector or even a viewer, however I understand that you can buy devices now that will scan these slides and allow you to put them onto your computer, then of course onto a CD for viewing on a TV.

Could someone PLEASE give me some advice about these things, preferably of course ones available in Australia?

THANK YOU................

Google is indeed your friend....

世界中のあらゆる情報を検索するためのツールを提供しています。さまざまな検索機能を活用して、お探しの情報を見つけてください。

Comment

davidh
      Sorry to hear about your loss
      You can do this with a printer (scanner) and if you have Vista Windows movie maker you can make a custom DVD with pictures and sound.
      Hope this helps
      CBR929

Sorry G missed the slides part
      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Yeah David, you just buy youself a scanner.

I have always liked & used Hewlett Packard.

You will have to make sure that you get a model that will do slides.

umart.com.au have a variety available.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thank you all.

I have a (document) scanner, and my newest printer is a (document) scanner as well, but I need something to scan/convert these slides.

I will look at the place GregiBoy suggested.

THANK YOU ALL.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss David, you have our sympathies. There is a device you can buy here in the states that plugs into the USB jack and has a color camera, light source and slide holder built in. They were about US$90 the last time I looked, probably something close downunda I would think. Not sure which would give you the best resolution, check the DPI rating before you buy.....
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

As you have two existing devices, check the manuals to see whether slides are possible or whether you can buy an add-on to do slides.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

HI David.
                I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
                Sounds too familiar...I lost my Dad in 2005 and my Mom earlier this year

As usual, great advice from other members.
                Like GregiBoy, I've always been partial to HP for this type of work.
                Mine is packed away right now and probably down south in South Carolina so I don't have details.

I know HP makes a scanner slide adapter for certain models.
                I don't know what you have, but it's probably worth looking into since yours sounds like a recent model
                If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

David.

I presume that Signals is talking about something like this which may be another option.

Comment

Exactly. I want one of these. Somebody tell Santa. The Yashica that Gregi linked looks nice.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you everyone again for your kind words, of course a very sad time, but we are consoled in the fact that we know Mum for years now did not want to go on, she was in a nursing home and unable to do anything, all she wanted was to be reunited with my Dad, which we hope she is now.

Thank you also for all the advice.

Comment

Actually I have a few of the Ion converters available for my LPs, Tapes, negatives and slides but not sure if available in OZ. Here is a link if you need to read up on the IOn products http://www.ionaudio.com/content1013 what you are looking for is the image conversion for slides to PC. They do have a support section where you can send a question and ask if it available where you live

Comment

Thanks again to everyone for their advice, and kind words, I didn't realise there were so many different ones around.

I have, for good or bad I am yet to find out, bought a Q-Pix FX-170 digital film scanner, will see how it goes in the next few days.

Couldn't believe when I was getting the guy in the shop to show me how it worked, somone else came in to buy one too, they must be more popular than I thought.

Thanks again..............

Comment

Need some more advice PLEASE.

After using this Q-Pix FX-170 scanner for a few days I just could not get it to work properly and have returned it to the store as defective.

I did everything it said to do, and was able to save the digital images to the stick, but the images were ridiculous in the colours, just unbelievably bright colours and I couldn't correct them with any of the normal editing software.

The slides are okay to look at with the naked eye, and I even scanned a couple in my normal Canon Pixma MP630 printer/scanner and although they are not great scans at least the colours are perfect?

This makes me think that the slide scanner was indeed defective?

I still want to be able to digitally scan these old Family slides, but am reluctant to buy another scanner until I can get some more advice PLEASE.

Comment

Hi again David,

I bought a HP Scanjet G4050 Photo Flatbed Scanner back in 2008 so we could digitize and archive all our familiy's photos and slides.
                              This flatbed scanner does a great job on both photos and slides.

Both GregiBoy and I are fans of HP here and I seriously doubt you'll go wrong with HP.
                              Since you're located in OZ, I'd go with whatever he suggests.

Just an FYI, here are the features:

Superior color accuracy, high-definition scans with 4800 x 9600 dpi, and speedy previews (as fast as 8.5 seconds) are headed your way courtesy of the Scanjet G4050. You can scan up to 16 slides or 30 negatives at a time, and automatically get rid of red eye in photos.

Get excellent color accuracy and photo reproduction with HP's exclusive 6-color, 96-bit scanning
                              Make beautiful photo reprints with the 4800 x 9600 dpi resolution
                              Remove dust and scratches from photos, slides, and negatives at the touch of a button, without software
                              Preserve documents digitally with archival-quality output
                              Edit text from scanned documents like magazine articles and letters with the included software
                              Scan up to 16 slides or 30 negatives at once with the built-in adapter, then save as separate files
                              Bring old and damaged photos back to life by restoring faded color with the included software
                              Automatically remove red eye and enhance detail in dark photos with HP's Real Life technologies
                              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                              X