Quick Question about Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Question about Computer

will this laptop be better than the one I own now http://electronics.hsn.com/acer-15-6...|ec0027|ec0033

The one I own now is a intel 2 duo it has 4 gb ram. I am asking because I still only get .50 on please read the general polices and other programs when trying to compress hard drive blu-ray folder. I was wondering if it was my old computer and if so will this one be better or do I need a faster computer. I have a external Asus Blu-ray Writer. Thanks
    Last edited by AGJ; 01-01-2011, 03:43 AM.

what is the processor on the computer you have already. The processor for the computer you linke to is a Intel Pentium Processor T4500, 2.3GHz but if you really want faster computer you need to go with a quad core computer with nVidea graphic card and those will be about 3 to 5 hundred more than the one you linked to

Comment

Agree with AGJ.

Laptops aren't ideal to begin with for this.
      Nothing against them mind you, but expect to put down some serious bucks for a higher end model with a more robust cpu and a CUDA enabled video card in order to rip/compress/convert BD files efficiently.
      And you're correct to stick with an external ODD if you decide to stay with a laptop

You'll get more bang for your buck with a desktop.
      You already have a BD burner and a laptop
      Last edited by maineman; 01-01-2011, 04:19 AM.
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks Maine and AGJ the computer I have now is a Intel T6400 Sony Vaio laptop. I have a intel 2 duo on them both are 2.0 ghz I am pretty sure. Do you guys know what I should get for a desktop. They are good ones for cheap right under 1000.
        Last edited by scsa; 01-01-2011, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Yeah, not much, if any difference in cpu and they both have the same onboard graphics.
          You could definitely put your $600 to better use.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Yup I am looking into buying a desktop. I have the external blu-ray recorder so I don't need one that has a blu-ray drive in it. I also have another blu-ray drive that is external but it is not a burner it is only rom drive. I can hear my computer working hard now and the only program on it besides firefox is a DVDFab competitor means I definitely need to upgrade. If I get a quad core how much ghz do I need for it. I see 1.7-2.0 does that mean it's 2.0 total or is it times 3 since it's a quad. Thanks again.
            Last edited by AGJ; 01-01-2011, 07:46 AM. Reason: General Policies

Comment

My rig laughs at BD encoding
              Only thing I need to do is add another vid card, but I'm not a PC gamer.
              AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8 @ 3.3ghz stock cooling
              ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 Sata 6gb/s ATI HD4290
              G.Skill RipJaws 8gb(2x4) DDR3 PC10666
              Antec 750W Continuous Power
              Pioneer BDR205
              64gb OCZ SSD AGILITY 2
              WD 640gb HDD Internal
              WD 2TB HDD External
              CoolerMaster 690series
              ViewSonic 22" LED 1080p Full HD
              Windows7 64 Ultimate

Comment

I am hinting towards a Sony vaio they have one for 800 that has all the things including a 2.8 ghz quad core I believe. Not bad really.

Comment

Originally posted by scsa View Post
                  I am hinting towards a Sony vaio they have one for 800 that has all the things including a 2.8 ghz quad core I believe. Not bad really.
                  Post the specs for a couple computers you like and I'm sure a few forum members will be able to let you know if they good or not.

Comment

Thanks AGJ I will do that for sure. I can't wait to go buy one. It will be in a few weeks if I am lucky though lol. Thanks again.

Comment

AGJ do you know if 6-8 GB Ram will make the processing for blu-ray faster than 4 gb ram. I found a few new computers from dell or hp that seem great under 1000. I found a few that are 6 gb ram which is 2 more than mine.

Comment

Oh and here is a good deal from qvc. http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...and-20-Monitor

Comment

I'd steer clear of the QVC Dell.
                          It has onboard ATI video...
                          For $1056, you can do a whole lot better.

I'm stuck at work right now, but when I get a chance, I'll look around.
                          Have you ever considered building your own?
                          It's not hard and it's a lot of fun.

I've been building my own and a few for the family for about 10 years or so.
                          Pretty clueless when I started...
                          You also can install exactly what you want and not install all the bloatware, etc.

The extra 2 GB RAM, not really going to make much difference.

Comment

Maine what about this one. Nvidia is in it. I need to get it from QVC I got the credit card from it and that would be the only way I could it so soon. here is the showing of it http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...-2YR-WTY-20LCDhttp://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...-2YR-WTY-20LCD

Also is ZT a good company because there is a lot of them on it. Also what speed is the best for the pc. 2.5-3.0 or more. Thanks again.

Comment

Maine I also found this the only bad thing is the Radeon card otherwise for 800 this is a great deal. Does the Radeon really effect it or could I get it and Fab would work well with it thanks. Here is the desktop http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...2&blockType=G2http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...2&blockType=G2

Comment

Working...
                              X