No announcement yet.

Quick Question about Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, for your needs, stick with nvidia...and not onboard graphics, but a PCI Express x16 card.
    As I've been saying, you can do much better with your $.

If you're not comfortable tinkering a pc together, you can have a custom-built rig with components that you choose, for what is ultimately, a much better value to you.

Here's an "unfinalized" eg.

Magic MICRO is a decent online retailer for your needs and there are others.
    I just grabbed an example and I changed a couple of components from the default pc. You can change any others that you want.

For eg., I believe the ASRock X58 board is a better choice for the same $.
    Just to give you an idea I'd also bump up the video card to nvidia GeForce GTX 460 and the upgrade the RAM (not more, but better) and add a much improved psu (Corsair 750 watt)

You're still at about $1033 with a lot more pc.

You'll also need Win 7...I'd go Pro 64-bit for about $140-160

There are other changes I'd make...like the stock cpu cooler, but for not much money.

I haven't looked at specific brands here on all the components such as the video card, but I believe you've got the idea.

It depends on what you want and what you're willing to spend.

I'll be glad to help you and I know others will help and give you good feedback.
    Play with a few builds and do a little reseach on reviews and such at some sites like newegg.com.

Post your build and will give you some pointers.

HTH

//Edit,
    Oh and one more huge bonus....No bloatware crap
    Last edited by maineman; 01-03-2011, 05:03 AM.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks Maine what about AMD are they good because the intel is a little too expensive since I need a monitor that is 100 more at least so it ends up being more than 1000. I want the price to be 1000 at the most. Are amd worse then intel or are they the same. Maine how is this for a good one

http://www.googlebb.magicmicro.com/s...o.asp?iid=3017
      Last edited by scsa; 01-03-2011, 05:49 AM.

Comment

scsa: Yup, AMDs are wonderful. If I might make a suggestion, go to newegg.com to look for computer parts and such. Very good prices. Also, the processor you have selected is the AMD Phenom II x4 945 which is the same model that I'm rocking at the moment. It's a great cpu, but if you're interested, the AMD Phenom II x6 six-core cpus at newegg are cheap as dirt nowadays. I would also suggest upgrading your memory if you're going for a Socket AM3 motherboard. The memory you have selected is DDR3 1066 when you could easily get DDR3 1600 for around the same price, but not from that site I'm sure. The site you're buying from seems to be charging too much for a lot of the things on there.

Edit: I also suggest getting a higher quality power supply. That is one item you do not want to skimp on, as cheap ones, like the Logisys you've selected, tend to break easily and will possibly take something with it if given the chance. You will probably want to get a 550-600 watt one in case you ever upgrade your components.
        Last edited by Racem22; 01-03-2011, 08:45 AM.
        SPECS
        DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
        SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

NCIXUS.com will price match competitor prices and if you buy all parts to build computer from them then for an extra $50 they will put it all together and give you 1 year warrenty as well http://www.ncixus.com/products/7842/PC-ASSEMBLY/NCIXPC/
          Last edited by AGJ; 01-03-2011, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks Race. I will definitely look into that site. I will definitely not skimp on the power supply. Thanks again everyone. Thanks AGJ I will look at that site too.

Comment

If you decide to build your own then as Racem22 suggested, I'd definitely shop at newegg. I buy virtually all my components for builds and add-ons from them.
              Best retailer on the planet.

I thought you didn't want to build???

You can also purchase "barebones "systems...newegg has a few, at micromagic you can customize many.
              I'll bbet AGJ's site has some.
              This might be something you're comfortable with....
              having the cpu, motherboard, case and psu...already installed.
              You can start with an Intel or AMD system and go from there

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Maine I will probably do your site because I can't hook up a system by myself and the main things on that site that you gave my total is about 1000 which is what I would want to spend. Thanks for all the help everyone. Hopefully in a few days or weeks I can get one. I have a question though if I would get the qvc one for 1056 would that card really be that bad. Because the laptop I have now has an intel 45 chipset and that is about it for a graphic card. Will the ATi Radeon 4500 really be that bad. Because I can get the qvc one right away instead of waiting a week to a month. Thanks

Comment

Maine I decided I am getting from the site you gave Micro Magic I picked this one

High performance with the hottest technology for extreme gaming, digital video editing, and audio production.

AMD Phenom II 955 Quad core CPU

Dual ATI HD 4650 1GB video card ( 2gb total) memory

ATI Cross Fire setup for extreme graphics performance

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 memory

500GB hard drive and 22X DVDRW drive

Delivering required performance, features to connected environments without unneeded complexity

Custom design case with side window, temperature display and fan speed controls

I added a 1 tb hard drive instead of the 500.

I also replaced the video card that they had which was the ati card that is the most expensive and put the one you chose the nivia geforce gtx 460 which actually saved me about 82 buck which meant I could get the tv tuner. I also upgraded the power supply to the apevia 500. I kept the rest the same though. because I needed to add a monitor so I added the 139 dollar monitor. Total is going to be 1060. I have to wait for my money to come in so i won't be able to buy it until the end of the month. At least it doesn't take forever to ship like QVC does. If I bought it today from qvc it would come on the 24th anyway lol.

Comment

You're looking at this all wrong. It depends on what you want and what you can afford.
                    What do you want from this new pc?

I suspect one of your primary goals is that you're looking at a more robust pc for ripping/compressing/?converting BD files with Fab.

If this is the case, then yes, both qvc pcs are a "bad" choice for you.
                    Not bad for everyone.

None of the qvc rigs that you posted have video cards. They have integrated onboard video...a chipset on the motherboard that is very low-end for what you're asking of it.
                    In addition, this integrated video has to share system memory...yet another bottleneck.
                    Also not CUDA capable so no GPU acceleration, ie., zero benefit for ripping BD.

If you want a new rig to run with Fab and BD, you reallly need:
                    an NVIDIA CUDA-enabled card...period...
                    a fairly robust cpu...more cores = better...
                    a decent motherboard with at least 1 PCI-E x16 slot for the nvidia card

The Corsair psu I listed is excellent, but it's ~ $100.
                    You can go cheaper, but not cheap...as Racem22 said...you just can't skimp here.

It's fine to look at factory-built pcs...dell, hp, etc., but it has to have what you need or you won't be happy.

Comment

Hey scsa, guess I was posting about the same time.
                      Can you please post a link of the basic pc and also a screenshot of the customizing screen where you selected the components.

This way we can take a look and give you proper feedback.

What do they say the turn-around time is?

Don't forget, you'll need an os (win 7)

Gotta run out for a bit...I'll be back

Comment

I will do Maine. Windows 7 I have the disc for it already so I don't need it anymore I bought that with this computer before. I will try to get a screen shot done today. Thanks again.

Comment

Maine here are the pictures for my setup I picked out on the website. Sorry if they aren't good they were on my phone.

Comment

Nothing here...and no not with your phone.
                            Just copy and paste the screenshot into MS Paint or something.
                            You can use any number of photoshop utlilities to crop and make sure you don't exceed the forum max file size.

Please post the link to the pc...thanks

Comment

About the video card...nah.
                              I just plucked the 460 out of the air.
                              This is why I want you to post the screenshot with the components...or at least list them.

If you want TV out, a better card is this one even though it's been out for awhile:

GeForce GTX 285 1 GB PCI EXpress 16X dual head tv out.

Good card and it has tv out...for $9

Comment

lol Maine I forgot to post the link here is the pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                X