This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab 6.1.25 will not start on Win7

I have been using a registered copy of DVDFab 6 on my XP Pro computer for a long time now. I recently upgraded from XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro (fresh install). Installed DVDFab 6.1.25, no installation errors. DVDFab now will not launch. As soon as I try to launch DVDFab, I get a User Account Control prompt asking if I want to allow DVDFab to make changes to my computer. I select Yes, and then nothing happens - DVDFab will not start. I can see in Task Manager that the DVDFab.exe process starts and then immediately dies.

I have tried several different compatibility modes (XP SP3, XP SP2, Vista SP2), and Run As Administrator. I have looked for DVDFab logs, but cannot find any anywhere. I have uninstalled/reinstalled several times, I have uninstalled using Revo, I have run the setup program as Administrator, all to no avail. I have tried to register the program by double-clicking on my DVD Fab key, but nothing happens either.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Actually logon as "Administrator" and do all of the above.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I created a dedicated Administrator account (even though my user account was already setup as an administrator) and retraced all of my previous steps.... same results, still doesn't launch.

Just for giggles, I installed the 5.2.32 version, and it works fine! Obviously, though, this is not the solution I am looking for, so any more help would be greatly appreciated. I have already sent two emails to DVDFab technical support over the past week, but no response from them.

Comment

Did you check to make sure your computer can run Windows 7 before you installed it on a computer that was built to run windows XP?

Comment

I have had this problem for a month... No answers and no solutions.. getting very frustrated with the product. I have reinstalled and installed 20 times... 5 runs great , 6 not at all

Comment

Yes, I checked that my computer was capable of running Windows 7 prior to upgrading. I've had absolutely no problems with any other software on my system since upgrading to Win7.

Still no response from DVDFab after 3 emails. I can only assume they have no idea what the problem is and are ignoring the issue. Nice that they're willing to help.

Comment

Originally posted by miked View Post
              Yes, I checked that my computer was capable of running Windows 7 prior to upgrading. I've had absolutely no problems with any other software on my system since upgrading to Win7.

Still no response from DVDFab after 3 emails. I can only assume they have no idea what the problem is and are ignoring the issue. Nice that they're willing to help.
              Hi miked,

Sorry for your trouble, lack of help from Fab and from here.
              As you, I'm puzzled about the total failure to load.
              I recently built a new rig and I'm running a new install of Win7 Pro 64-bit.
              I've had no problems at all
              I'm just feeling my way around Win7...pretty steep learning curve right now...lol
              Loved XP and never went the Vista route.

Anyway, where to start? you've done most everything that's reasonable to do...
              Revo is a really good product, but I can't help but think you've got some registry file/fragment that's causing trouble.

Maybe try running CCleaner and be sure to delete the old Prefetch data as well.

I can't connect the dots on why a faulty/corrupted key would prevent the app to load, but I'd retrieve a new all-in-one email regkey anyway, from:

I'd also do a fresh, download of 6.2.0.5. after you try CCleaner.
              Sorry about this and I realize you may have already done everything I've suggested.

I've gotta run.
              There are a number of us running Win7 and Fab. Hopefully, we can puzzle this out
              Last edited by maineman; 11-16-2009, 05:09 PM.
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Running Win 7 64 bit with DVDFab 6.2.0.5 with no problems here also.

As my good friend maineman suggested try a clean uninstall do a new download and try again. Make sure you do a clean complete uninstall.
                And let us know what happens.

Removal of new protections may not be available yet in the free version of DVDFab (HD Decrypter)

Help Us Help You :

Troy's excellent tutorial on Setting up ImgBurn with DVDFab :

I use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim media mainly.
                Trying Falcon D/L media

I use ImgBurn as my main burning engine

Free Media Player VLC

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, but still, no luck. I did another complete uninstall with Revo, ran CCleaner and deleted prefetch data, and downloaded/installed 6.2.0.5. Same results, the DVDFab.exe process starts and dies immediately. I also tried not installing the VSO burning engine, just to see what would happen - nothing happened.

This is bugging me so much I'm about to jump in the deep end and do a re-install of Windows 7 , and make DVDFab the first program I install, just to see what happens...

Comment

I have had no trouble at all with Win 7 and DVDFab installs, I tried last night on another machine of mine and everything went as smooth as silk.

Might want to take another look at your Virus software,firewall software or some other software that you have that is conflicting with it.
                    Last edited by bean55; 11-17-2009, 03:28 PM.

Removal of new protections may not be available yet in the free version of DVDFab (HD Decrypter)

Help Us Help You :

Troy's excellent tutorial on Setting up ImgBurn with DVDFab :

I use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim media mainly.
                    Trying Falcon D/L media

I use ImgBurn as my main burning engine

Free Media Player VLC

Comment

... the DVDFab.exe process starts and dies immediately. ...
                      I'm running DVDFab on Win 7 U x64 without any issue too. I did encounter a similar startup problem with the Thunderbird email client though when I tried to customize its install by changing and using non-default profile settings. Once I reverted back to the default setup and file locations from its install, the app ran fine. Not sure if this is relevant, but was DVDFab installed using default or customized settings?

Comment

I installed it using the default settings, but you might be on to something... I have changed the location of My Documents folder to a drive other than C: and I have noticed that my DVDFab 5 installation has created a DVDFab directory under My Documents. Is it possible that DVDFab 6 is getting confused about the non-standard location of the My Documents folder?

Comment

As you said, I think you and tli may indeed, be on to something.
                          While there's no problem in changing locations of the output directory and temporary directory from the default settings in My Documents, I don't know that you can change the file path for My Documents.

I know for eg., that Fab will always create a folder, DVDFab, for data such as burn logs, internal logs, update, crash log, etc., and it will always create it in...
                          C:\...My Documents\DVDFab, regardless.

I suspect this may be your problem.
                          Fingers X'd...

Please let us know

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

... I have changed the location of My Documents folder to a drive other than C: ...
                            That's basically what happened in my case with TB. I changed the location of the profile files that TB needs and uses from its default C: drive [the new Win7 drive] to my old TB profile location on the previous WinXP drive [configured as Y: --the two drives allow my system to dual-boot as x86 or x64]. TB did not like this and/or Win7 would not allow it. By simply changing back to the default locations on C: drive, TB worked. You might give it a try, change the location back to C: if possible, and see if DVDFab would start properly.

Is it possible that DVDFab 6 is getting confused about the non-standard location of the My Documents folder?
                            Likely, as maineman has indicated:

Originally posted by maineman View Post

I know for eg., that Fab will always create a folder, DVDFab, for data such as burn logs, internal logs, update, crash log, etc., and it will always create it in...
                            C:\...My Documents\DVDFab, regardless.

I suspect this may be your problem.
                            Fingers X'd...

Please let us know
                            The more likelihood is that Win7's increased security protocol prevents DVDFab from accessing the new location due to improper privilege/permission settings.
                            Last edited by tli; 11-18-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tli View Post
                              The more likelihood is that Win7's increased security protocol prevents DVDFab from accessing the new location due to improper privilege/permission settings.
                              Makes sense. Let's hope this does it

Comment

Working...
                              X