Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will playing 3D blu-rays and 3D blu-ray ISOs in 2D make it 960x1080?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will playing 3D blu-rays and 3D blu-ray ISOs in 2D make it 960x1080?

I'm asking this because I read it somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's true. The guy basically said that a 3D movie in 2D has half the resolution horizontally, which doesn't make sense. I have a ton of 3D ISOs that were ripped by DVDFab, and, upon doing this, I got rid of my 2D rips of the same movies from prior to doing this since having both a 2D MKV and 3D iso of the same movie would be redundant, and the 3D ISO should give a better picture while in 2D because of it being uncompressed.

3D blu-ray ISOs, by nature, should be playing in full-SBS, which is two 1920x1080 pictures to make a full 3840x1080 picture, not two 960x1080 pictures for a 1920x1080 picture, which is what half-sbs is. If this is true, then why would a 3D ISO play in half resolution when it could just take one of the 1920x1080p pictures or flatten the image? Can anyone answer this for me? Does this guy know what he's talking about, or is he mistaken?

Do 3D movies in 2D play in half the resolution, or is it still full resolution like (I think) it should be? Thanks.

Hi guitarlifter,

The Blu-ray SBS 3D format is created by us, and it was created before we support native Blu-ray 3D BD25 compression.

For now, to copy a Blu-ray 3D BD50 to BD25 disc, we suggest to create native Blu-ray 3D disc, not Blu-ray SBS 3D disc since it only contains half-resolution.
    Last edited by fengtao; 03-04-2013, 08:01 AM.
    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by fengtao View Post
      Hi guitarlifter,

The Blu-ray SBS 3D format is created by us, and it was created before we support native Blu-ray 3D BD25 compression.

For now, to copy a Blu-ray 3D BD50 to BD25 disc, we suggest to create native Blu-ray 3D disc, not Blu-ray SBS 3D disc since it only contains half-resolution.
      That doesn't answer my question. I never said anything about copying anything to a disc.

I'm playing raw, uncompressed, unaltered 3D Blu-ray ISOs on TotalMedia Theatre 5. All software-based. Also, nothing is converted to "SBS." I'm wondering whether or not the movie plays in 960x1080 instead of 1920x1080 whenever I play a 3D blu-ray in 2D mode. See my original post for the details to my question.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarlifter View Post
        I'm asking this because I read it somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's true. The guy basically said that a 3D movie in 2D has half the resolution horizontally, which doesn't make sense. I have a ton of 3D ISOs that were ripped by DVDFab, and, upon doing this, I got rid of my 2D rips of the same movies from prior to doing this since having both a 2D MKV and 3D iso of the same movie would be redundant, and the 3D ISO should give a better picture while in 2D because of it being uncompressed.

3D blu-ray ISOs, by nature, should be playing in full-SBS, which is two 1920x1080 pictures to make a full 3840x1080 picture, not two 960x1080 pictures for a 1920x1080 picture, which is what half-sbs is. If this is true, then why would a 3D ISO play in half resolution when it could just take one of the 1920x1080p pictures or flatten the image? Can anyone answer this for me? Does this guy know what he's talking about, or is he mistaken?

Do 3D movies in 2D play in half the resolution, or is it still full resolution like (I think) it should be? Thanks.
        That is not correct, 3D blu-ray disc are backwards compatible with 2D.
        In order to deliver 1920 * 1080 to both eyes, while retaining backwards compatibility with 2d, blu-ray 3d disc will concatenate two separate files into one to make 3D, when played on 3d players.

Here how it works when it is shown on display which is capable of 3d, let say we have movie X which consist of 0001.m2ts and 0002. m2ts, we call 0001.m2ts base view which is left eye image usually and 0002.m2ts is right eye which is dependent view (dependent view can't be view on it's own) and they are linked together by ssif file which maybe called 0003.ssif in SSIF folder. When disc is inserted in 2d player it reads 0001.m2ts and play it and you see 1920* 1080 image of movie. However when you play in 3d player it reads ssif file (provided you want to play in 3d) and then read 0001 and 0002 simultaneously to create two 1920* 1080 file for their respective eye.

Just remember SSIF file is virtual and link to other files and in this case it will link 0001 and 0002 m2ts. There is no such thing SBS on these disc.

Hope this answer your question. In case if you need example let me know, I have few disc and I can post screenshot and explain my point in more detail.
        Last edited by Hawk; 03-04-2013, 09:10 PM.
        If you fail to plan...you plan to fail wouldn't you not agree..Think about it

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
          That is not correct, 3D blu-ray disc are backwards compatible with 2D.
          In order to deliver 1920 * 1080 to both eyes, while retaining backwards compatibility with 2d, blu-ray 3d disc will concatenate two separate files into one to make 3D, when played on 3d players.

Here how it works when it is shown on display which is capable of 3d, let say we have movie X which consist of 0001.m2ts and 0002. m2ts, we call 0001.m2ts base view which is left eye image usually and 0002.m2ts is right eye which is dependent view (dependent view can't be view on it's own) and they are linked together by ssif file which maybe called 0003.ssif in SSIF folder. When disc is inserted in 2d player it reads 0001.m2ts and play it and you see 1920* 1080 image of movie. However when you play in 3d player it reads ssif file (provided you want to play in 3d) and then read 0001 and 0002 simultaneously to create two 1920* 1080 file for their respective eye.

Just remember SSIF file is virtual and link to other files and in this case it will link 0001 and 0002 m2ts. There is no such thing SBS on these disc.

Hope this answer your question. In case if you need example let me know, I have few disc and I can post screenshot and explain my point in more detail.
          No, I think I understand it. So the short answer is that 3D blu-rays (and iso versions of them) will play in full 1920x1080 when played in 2D, correct?

You say that it does this through using only the left eye image, which is typically the main image. This makes perfect sense since blu-rays play with two 1920x1080 images that are put together to create one 3D 1920x1080 image per eye; it's not like the blu-ray would have any reason NOT to play the movie in 1920x1080.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X