No announcement yet.

Problem with SATA Drives and 64-bit OS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran the Dell system diagnostics on the SATA DVD-ROM drive. The diagnostics reads every block on a CD/DVD. The drive passed every test, so clearly the data is getting from the DVD to the SATA controller regardless of the OS and the software that's running. I have to think that, since ImgBurn can read and write to the drive, that the problem is with DVDFab.

Just sayin'.

Comment

The Dell system diagnostics are on the separate boot diagnostics partition, which is why I made the remark about the OS not mattering. These diagnostics function with a minimal system OS independent of whatever OS is installed in the main partition(s). There's just the hardware and the diagnostics program -- no drivers or other external stuff.

Comment

Did you load the rapid storage software?

This contains a different SATA driver than stock, it's worth a shot.

Comment

Did you load the rapid storage software?

This contains a different SATA driver than stock, it's worth a shot.
          After dinking around with the chipset software installation tool, I finally did go to Intel's site and read up on the RST software (in this case called the Matrix Storage Manager). I found the version for 64-bit Windows 7, figured "what the hell" and downloaded it. The installation went smoothly, and guess what? IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!! I'm now burning my first DVD with Version 9.0.4.0, and it's doing all the right stuff! Clearly the Microsoft SATA controller driver was the problem all along. Since the RST file I downloaded works also for 64-bit Vista, this would have fixed me up long ago if I'd only found out about this Intel SATA driver.

Thanks SO MUCH, Marty! I'm glad you guys persevered with me through this whole rigamarole, and I'm grateful

Lance

Comment

Your welcome! I'm glad your problem is solved.

Comment

Working...
            X