This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb question about ripping

Does ripping a DVD or BD add extreme wear and tear to the drive used? Harm?

Thanks

I'm no expert on drives but I wouldn't say extreme wear. You can use some suggested methods to prevent extra wear and tear on a drive such as ripping full disc to hdd first then (provided a new protection scheme that prevents a correct rip the first time around) test and/or continue working with the rip from the hdd.

Of course some drives are more apt to failure than others (namely slimtypes in laptops). Also the most wear and tear comes from the burn process.

Again I'm no expert on optical drives and maybe someone has a better answer.

Comment

Insofar as drive itself, there's no difference between playing or ripping.
      I'm not sure what the actual, average number of plays/rips is in the lifetime of a drive, BR or otherwise.
      I've done tons of rips and I've also retired a number of burners.
      I have yet to have one actually die.

Not to be a smarta$$, but it's just doing what the drive is designed to do. Kinda like a vacuum cleaner vacuuming...how many times will it vacuum?...lol.

It's best to rip an image to the hdd and if you have other tasks to do like converting,
      use the hdd image and it'll cut down on the wear and tear of the ODD.
      It'll be a lot faster too
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks for the input.

So to shrink a BR...simply do a movie only rip to the hard drive with no compression. Then...use DVDFab to re-encode and then burn after the rip?

I will give that a try...

Comment

Originally posted by bobmitch View Post
          Thanks for the input.

So to shrink a BR...simply do a movie only rip to the hard drive with no compression. Then...use DVDFab to re-encode and then burn after the rip?

I will give that a try...
          Yup, that seems to be the consensus and best advice.
          And thanks to GregiBoy for putting me straight.
          Last edited by maineman; 02-19-2010, 01:01 PM.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

If I may I would like to add that external burners are great. As long as you use them for just that. I burnt out my last one using the light scribe which just kills the life of the laser. I know better this time.

Comment

hey Maineman....

Honestly, I wouldn't rip and compress from the BR drive.

The drive could be active for hours coz the compression actually takes hours/days and like all things. it will wear out with time.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Yeah, I looked around and folks are tallkng 45 minutes to rip and 13 hours to compress.
                Thanks GregiBoy.
                I'll go back and edit my post, so I don't lead anyone astray.
                Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                hey Maineman....

Honestly, I wouldn't rip and compress from the BR drive.

The drive could be active for hours coz the compression actually takes hours/days and like all things. it will wear out with time.

Comment

One thing that I have noticed...Example...I backed up Star Trek BD using a Lite On iHES208. It rips at 4X, but with compression...rip speed and compression took 1 hour and 40 min...then the Pioneer was loaded and ready to go.

Compression also depends alot on the processor and rig you have. Even when I dub home movies to DVD...with my i7 processor...the recoding of the movie used to take a 1:1 (so a two hour movie took two hours to dub and two hours to encode to DVD). Now...with the i7....and two WD VelociRaptors in RAID 0///two hours to copy...and about a half hour to re-encode. Makes a big difference.

So the gist is to have one BD reader and then just burn with the Pioneer BD-205. That is my intention at this point...but the Lite On is not a good candidate...for it is soooo sloooow! Waiting for the new LG CH10LS20 BD reader / DVD Combo drive to come out. According to LG...will rip at 8X. BTW...so does the Pioneer...but I am trying NOT to rip/ compress and burn all at the same time...

Bob
                  Last edited by bobmitch; 02-20-2010, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X