Compatible Blu-ray Writer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatible Blu-ray Writer

Hiall. My LG BE16NU50 blu-ray writer that I've been using with DVDFAB since 2016 has stopped working. Will any of the 4K blu-ray writers that I can purchase on Amazon or at Bestbuy work with DVDFAB or are there specific blu-ray writers that are recommended to interface with DVDFAB? Thanks in advance, Dan

I have some experience with LG blu-ray drives which I can share with you.
    Be forewarned that you have to deal with model numbers, SVC codes and firmware versions in order to use the drive to rip 4kUHD titles.

1. LG WH16NS60 with SVC code NS60: It came certified for 4K media from the factory, but had firmware version 1.03 in it that disabled ripping 4K media.. I used the DVDFab tool to "downgrade" the firmware version to 1.00 (allowing ripping of 4kUHD media).
    2. LG WH16NS40 which is considered a "4K friendly" drive if it has SVC code NS50. This came with firmware 1.05 which had to be changed to 1.02 by the DVDFab tool to permit ripping 4K titles.
    3. LG BH16NS40 (a "4K friendly" drive with SVC code NS50), which is basically the same drive as the WH16NS40 except it came in a retail box with a few extra goodies in it. It had firmware 1.02, so was good to go out of the box.
    4. LG WH14NS40 with SVC Code NS40 is not 4K capable or friendly.

If you decide to go with a LG BD drive, be sure to get one with a SVC Code NS50 or higher if you expect to use it to rip 4KUHD discs. You will also have to make sure it has a firmware version that permits it to rip 4K UHD data.

I have read that MakeMKV also provides some tools to modify firmware to permit ripping 4k media with their software, but I understand the firmware installed via MakeMKV tools is incompatible with DVDFab software, so be careful if you go down that road.

Also: https://www.dvdfab.cn/4k-uhd-drives....ID=productpage

Hope that helps a bit.
    Last edited by Rich86; 12-20-2023, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information and the link to the friendly blu-ray drives. Yes, very helpful. I purchased a drive called a Mercury Pro that has an LG faceplate and claims to have a "LG WH16NS40 16X 5.25" Internal Blu-ray Disc Rewriter."

I purchased this drive because 3 different people in the review section for the drive emphatically stated that the drive will rip UHD/4K blu-ray discs. Guess I'll find out when the it arrives in a couple of days.​

Comment

Originally posted by dcs9595 View Post
        Thanks for the information and the link to the friendly blu-ray drives. Yes, very helpful. I purchased a drive called a Mercury Pro that has an LG faceplate and claims to have a "LG WH16NS40 16X 5.25" Internal Blu-ray Disc Rewriter."

I purchased this drive because 3 different people in the review section for the drive emphatically stated that the drive will rip UHD/4K blu-ray discs. Guess I'll find out when the it arrives in a couple of days.​
        Suggestions: start by checking the printed label on the top surface of the drive to ensure is says SVC Code NS50.
        Next, check the firmware version to ensure it is no higher than 1.02.

Comment

Thanks again for the tips. Will check both. Provided the SVC code is NS50 I'll use the UHD drive tool to flash a lower version of the firmware if its higher than 1.02 .

Comment

Replacement drive came yesterday. Firmware was at version 1.05. Used the UHD Drive Tool to downgrade the firmware to 1.02. No problem backing up my UHD blu-rays. Kudos to DVDFAB for providing such a useful UHD Tool. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Anyone know where to find a WH16NS60? It is incredibly hard to find, except for ebay.
              My WH16NS40 (fw 1.02) will not read a handful of new 4K discs, 007 No Time To Die is the latest one.

Comment

I expect you will be hard pressed to find a WH16NS60 as I've read that LG has stopped production of those drives. I really like mine and I expect others who already have one will not part with theirs. Your WH16NS40 SVC code NS50 with fw 1.02 should work fine on 4K titles unless it is a title that DVDFab has not been updated to handle correctly. I have the No Time To Die 4K title and can test it with DVDFab if you like to make sure the program is happy with it. I've read that these 4K discs sometimes have residue on the data surface that prevents reliable playing or reading. Cleaning the disc has always resolved these issues for me using my trusty old Discwasher cleaning device & fluid.
                Attached Files

Comment

Rich86, if you don't mind testing it, that would be great. Thanks for the cleaner options, I'll look in to those.

Comment

My machine is ripping it now. Does your machine refuse to begin - or fail part way in or towards the end? I'm using DVDFab 13010 with my LG WH16NS60.
                    Update: DVDFab processed this title perfectly fine on my machine.
                    Last edited by Rich86; 01-18-2024, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zeke009 View Post
                      Anyone know where to find a WH16NS60? It is incredibly hard to find, except for ebay.
                      My WH16NS40 (fw 1.02) will not read a handful of new 4K discs, 007 No Time To Die is the latest one.
                      I hope this is OK to post.
                      I found some of the WH16NS60's listed on ebay with just a quick search also.
                      I would post a link to what I thought the best one was but I do NOT want to get in any more trouble on this forum.
                      I hope this helps.

BTW I just have a WH16NS40 that was flashed in April 2018.
                      Still working so far.No plan to sell it.

Comment

I have seen some drives advertised as WH16NS60 on EBay that appear to me to actually be WH16NS40s that have been flashed to the WH16NS60 firmware. That may be ok and work fine - but I would want to know what I was actually buying. The attached image is off Amazon - actual WH16NS60 faceplate.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rich86 View Post
                          My machine is ripping it now. Does your machine refuse to begin - or fail part way in or towards the end? I'm using DVDFab 13010 with my LG WH16NS60.
                          Update: DVDFab processed this title perfectly fine on my machine.
                          It sounds like the drive is eating the Bluray. It doesn't and the disc plays fine in an Xbox afterwards.

Originally posted by Rich86 View Post
                          I have seen some drives advertised as WH16NS60 on EBay that appear to me to actually be WH16NS40s that have been flashed to the WH16NS60 firmware. That may be ok and work fine - but I would want to know what I was actually buying. The attached image is off Amazon - actual WH16NS60 faceplate.
                          I've had too many bad experiences on ebay before. I stay away these days as much as I can help it.​

Comment

Working...
                          X