X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Media recommendation and write speed

Two questions:

1. From a quality burn standpoint, are there any detractors or negative reasons, time aside, setting the write speed to 1x using ImgBurn on all DVD burns?

I know slower speeds solve problems...but if I can handle the wait time, will burning 1x on a 8x DVD +R DL disc cause any extra problem? I'd rather spend the extra time knowing I received a quality burn than having to do it over again.

2. Again, from a quality burn standpoint, which of these two products is better:

If I'm burning at 1x, does either product type even matter?

I'm not looking to solve a specific problem (yet), just trying to prevent problems in the future.

1. YES
    There is no one "best" universal speed.
    The optimum burn speed for various burners, firmware and MID (media ID) and the combination thereof, vary widely.

I wouldn't burn any media at 1X...maybe with a burner and blank disc from 2002...maybe, but maybe not.

Please post your burner, make, model and firmware.
    You can use a variety of free tools to do this,
    VSO Inspector for one.

Re: the 2.4-4X Verbs. These are MKM 001 and generally will burn well at 2.4X, 4X and on many late model burners 6X.
    Again, this is dependent on a number of factors

The 8-10X (MKM 003) will burn well at 8X on most utd burners, but will burn best at 6X and 10 X for some users

2. One is better only relative to the hardware, etc., being used.

Keep in mind the best of the above are MIS (made in Singapore). The MII (made in India are a decent second place).
    Look on the spindle wrapper for the manufacturer's locale.

Both MIDs are excellent
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I use two ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS. Both have the latest firmware updates.

Comment

You might find some Verbatims Made In Taiwan also. I've heard that these are actually better than the Made In India ones but not as good as the Made In Singapore. Just what I've heard though so don't quote me. Actually I have a 100 pack sitting here of DVD+R Verbs and they're Made In United Arab Emirates, and I have no idea of the quality of these.
        SPECS
        DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
        SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Hi,

I use these Kodak 4x...

At first i forgot to change the write speed to 4x as it doesn't always pick it up automatically and burns at 8x.

The disc that i burnt like this were fine until right at the end when the speed was up to x7-x8 then stopped working.

They must be quite a good disc as it was playing fine until this point which was probably about x6-x7.

Now of coarse i set it to x4 and never really had any issues with them, and they are cheap enough.

Comment

Working...
          X