No announcement yet.

Bluray backups dying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of my Optical Quantum's say they are Ritek discs and I got them from Supermediastore.com. I guess I can look forward to them failing on me within a year.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFist View Post
      All of my Optical Quantum's say they are Ritek discs and I got them from Supermediastore.com. I guess I can look forward to them failing on me within a year.
      That's great. I just ordered some from amazon which came from supermediastore. I haven't I.D.'d the discs yet cause I haven't used any. But if they're Ritek, then I'm returning them. I'm gonna stick with verbatim LTH.

Comment

I just did a random check of the optical quantum and Vinpower discs i've used over the last year. All are good so far. I've only purchased them from Newegg, and all so far have been Philips R04. The product code on the Newegg website has R04 in all the 4x BD-R Optical Quantum and Vinpower discs. The exception is a 6X disc which is R06. Not to say that won't change, but so far the product codes have matched the actual discs.
        I learned to stay away from Memorex-ritek from the old days of dvd.

Comment

Actually I backed up a lot of movies on Quantium and its been about a year and they still work, no vinpower I'm not to sure just recently got into using them. I will let you know when I know. I dont know if the Quantiums were ritek or other.
          Lancool K-56 case.
          OCZ 700watt PSU.
          MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
          AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
          ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
          16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
          OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
          WD 2TB.
          EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
          LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Originally posted by 0brian View Post
            You can problem go on memorex website and make a complaint about it but probably would not refund without a receipt of purchase. No one keeps a receipt that long though. Maybe they will give you something free. Probably a couple of new disc which are junk anyway as far as you are concerned. I always have heard that verbatium is the best. Thats what i always used for dvds. But blue rays are expensive. I use the inkjet printables. Optical Quatum i can get for 1$ per disc as verbatim printable are much more expensive. Is there anywhere you can get verbatim printables at a reasonable price. I use 2bd 25gb. 50gb are way to expensive
            hehehe lucky you - from what i heard optical quantum media are of very good quality -allof them cd/dvd/bd - buti had not have a chance to test them - no sales representatives in Europe (yet ??)

cheers ahab666

Comment

Yes Rggauld, I just recently posted a thread about several Memorex BD-25s that went south on me also. I'm staying AWAY from Memorex!
              Hand Built PC - ECS RS400-A MoBo w/ 3.2ghz Pentium 4, 1.5 GB RAM, LG WH08LS20 Bluray burner, Sony DRU-842a DVD burner, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT PCIE card w/1gb vram, 650w PS, Windows XP Pro/SP3, Maxtor 200gb/160gb & Seagate 1TB internal HDDs. Samsung HDCP-compliant 23" TFT-LCD monitor, stereo speakers. (Life's the perfect thing to pass the time away.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mdy4Blues View Post
                Yes Rggauld, I just recently posted a thread about several Memorex BD-25s that went south on me also. I'm staying AWAY from Memorex!
                Are you refering to the dark blue labeled Memorex Ritak discs or the light blue labeled Memorex Imation disks?
                Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2011, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Intelp4 View Post
                  Are you refering to the dark blue labeled Memorex Ritak discs or the light blue labeled Memorex Imation disks?
                  These are the royal blue Memorex BD-25gb, made in Taiwan discs. The shrink wrap that had the UPC number is long gone so I only have the (3) dead discs which I just dug out of the recycle bin to look at and the jewel case to go by. I hope that answers your question.
                  Hand Built PC - ECS RS400-A MoBo w/ 3.2ghz Pentium 4, 1.5 GB RAM, LG WH08LS20 Bluray burner, Sony DRU-842a DVD burner, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT PCIE card w/1gb vram, 650w PS, Windows XP Pro/SP3, Maxtor 200gb/160gb & Seagate 1TB internal HDDs. Samsung HDCP-compliant 23" TFT-LCD monitor, stereo speakers. (Life's the perfect thing to pass the time away.)

Comment

This is disturbing to read...a newbie to the world of backing-up the BR collection but my first batch of discs that appeared to burn nicely were Memorex. Guess I should maybe go ahead and re-do all of those now...

So it appears the consensus on good media is Verb or even TDK...is that right? It seems that TDK had a bad rep on their DVD media, but is that improved on the BD-R side? Does anyone have any good links to good prices/sales on the high-quality media? I have a Sony BR player, and my first attempt at burning on a Verb LTH media resulted in an "Invalid" message.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by woecarlson View Post
                      This is disturbing to read...a newbie to the world of backing-up the BR collection but my first batch of discs that appeared to burn nicely were Memorex. Guess I should maybe go ahead and re-do all of those now...

So it appears the consensus on good media is Verb or even TDK...is that right? It seems that TDK had a bad rep on their DVD media, but is that improved on the BD-R side? Does anyone have any good links to good prices/sales on the high-quality media? I have a Sony BR player, and my first attempt at burning on a Verb LTH media resulted in an "Invalid" message.

Thanks!
                      link to media thread.......

Comment

Originally posted by woecarlson View Post

Thanks!
                        Thats because your player needs to be able to support LTH discs and this would be done through a FW update!
                        For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                        or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                        or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Yeah, diablo is probably right. I have 1st generation sony player and it plays LTH fine. So far the optical quantum(phillips) discs have been working great. apparently optical quantum also make some bad dics too that show up as ritek. Haven't ran into those yet. i did recently purchase some TDK and verbatim 50gb bdr from japan on Ebay. so far the verbatims are flawless. but i had 2 failures with the TDK's. the Ebay seller told me he would replace them. we'll see. they were around $5 a disc. that's the cheapest i've seen them.

Comment

I thought I was up-to-date, but sure enough I see a firmware update as of 2/11 that I could install. Guess this makes the Verb LTH worth another try.

As far as you guys know there is no issue reported with this 1-year anniversary disappearing act with these Verb LTHs?

Comment

I have both Optical Quantum(philips) and Verbatim LTH that have been burned for over a year and after seem this thread I pulled out the first burns and thet still play fine on the computer and PS3

Comment

Originally posted by btufail View Post
                                Yeah, diablo is probably right. I have 1st generation sony player and it plays LTH fine. So far the optical quantum(phillips) discs have been working great. apparently optical quantum also make some bad dics too that show up as ritek. Haven't ran into those yet. i did recently purchase some TDK and verbatim 50gb bdr from japan on Ebay. so far the verbatims are flawless. but i had 2 failures with the TDK's. the Ebay seller told me he would replace them. we'll see. they were around $5 a disc. that's the cheapest i've seen them.
                                UJapan?!is that the seller?
                                For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                                or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                                or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Working...
                                X