No announcement yet.

Bluray backups dying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info! According to that chart it should be compatible with 2x speed. I guess I'll keep trying my luck a little bit longer. Just bought the LG so hate to junk it for a different drive already...and I already have a 2TB internal HD using my 2nd SATA slot so I can't use both. Also going to try some of the OQ discs from Newegg and see if I can get the Phillips versions instead of the Ritek.

Comment

Originally posted by woecarlson View Post
      I downloaded the firmware update and my BR players now does recognize these Verb LTH discs as valid media. Now my problem is 3 of the first 10 I've used have resulted in this error at some point in the writing process. (See attachment for screenshot)

Anyone know if this would be an issue with ImgBurn, the drive itself (LG) or faulty media?
      You do know that LTH are not really good disc's themselves! They press them on the same press they make DVD's. Thats why they are so cheap! This is the problem people try to get away the cheapest they can and expect the best quality!! Its understandable, but if you spent the money on the best disc you probably would never have a bad burn because of the media!
      For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by btufail View Post
        My 1st burner was an LG. I read about numerous people mentioning that my particular burner was compatible with LTH. However, I had a couple of failures. I sent it back and got a pioneer bdr-205. Haven't had an LTH failure since. also look ino this:
        http://www.verbatim.com/UserFiles/Fi...bility2010.pdf
        Could have been and a problem with the burner. I bought an LG and it was having allot of issues writing BDRE went and got another and have never had a problem since!!
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't say I'm just looking for the cheapest...I know I could find cheaper out there than even the Verb LTH. I just know Verbatim is a trusted and reliable name in media, and I've seen a lot of people on the forums say they've had no issues at all with these LTHs so I figured it was at least worth a try.

What are your recommendations on media? Brand? Best place to buy? etc.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't say I'm just looking for the cheapest...I know I could find cheaper out there than even the Verb LTH. I just know Verbatim is a trusted and reliable name in media, and I've seen a lot of people on the forums say they've had no issues at all with these LTHs so I figured it was at least worth a try.

Its hard to recommend, I used Optical Quantum had issues, Used Memorex BDRE could not get one to play on my Sammy. I use TDK and have not had one single bad burn or error. Not to say I wont but they have been reliable. The LTH are pressed on DVD presses and the FW of your player needs to be updated to play them! If they work for you then go with them.

Comment

Stick with Verbatim, TDK, or Sony! Optical quantum are not bad either(R04 Phillips). As for deals, check out the forums and these places:
              http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=4175
              Amazon
              New Egg
              Ebay
              Super mediastore
              Meritline
              http://dealspl.us/CD-and-DVD-Discs_deals

Comment

I am considering verbatim after I have had several RITEK BR2 disk go bad on me:

Memorex (Blue disk) RITEK BR2 burned 6/09. Have had 7 disks fail out of 15.

RiData (silver disk) RITEK BR2 burned 6/09 had 1 disk fail out of 4 checked.

RiData (printable disk) RITEK BR2. The oldest I have of these are from 4/10. I have not yet seen any failures. Scanned 4 disk using Nero Disk Speed all 4 clean.

I am wondering if these Verbatims would give the longetivity I am looking for:

I want to stay away from the LTH as this is a relatively new technology and prefer not to be a guinea pig at a small savings. I have learned my lesson on that route ;(

Comment

You know, in the beginning days of DVD burning, sure I had a few failed burns here and there but even those were few and not very frequent, especially after I became aware of manufacturer codes and higher end media. But I have to say I have never had a failed Blu-ray burn, even with RIDATA and Optical Quantum discs.

Comment

Thanks for this good feedback on disc longevity. Everyone needs to do this with the BD-R blanks they are using and post their findings. I am moving your post to a new sticky thread titled "BD-R Disc Lifetimes" so there will be one place to post and find this valuable data.

Originally posted by rysktkr View Post
                    I am considering verbatim after I have had several RITEK BR2 disk go bad on me:

Memorex (Blue disk) RITEK BR2 burned 6/09. Have had 7 disks fail out of 15.

RiData (silver disk) RITEK BR2 burned 6/09 had 1 disk fail out of 4 checked.

RiData (printable disk) RITEK BR2. The oldest I have of these are from 4/10. I have not yet seen any failures. Scanned 4 disk using Nero Disk Speed all 4 clean.

I am wondering if these Verbatims would give the longetivity I am looking for:

I want to stay away from the LTH as this is a relatively new technology and prefer not to be a guinea pig at a small savings. I have learned my lesson on that route ;(
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Dying Bluray discs

I have not had this problem with any of the many different types of BD media I have used, and this includes Ritek and Memorex.

So my question is, are you verifying your burns? If not, you may not know if the disc failed to burn correctly until you try to use it, which might be several months later. Maybe your discs just didn't work from the get go.

Just a question that came to mind after reading this thread, no one mentioned verification.

Comment

Because verification should be unnecessary after you have done it a couple of times to ensure that the media/drive/speed combo is working correctly.
                        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

How old is your oldest BD backup disc? That is the purpose of the new thread. It would of course be impossible to know 3 or 4 months down the road whether the disc had ever played correctly unless you have watched it.
                          Originally posted by Geoff View Post
                          I have not had this problem with any of the many different types of BD media I have used, and this includes Ritek and Memorex.

So my question is, are you verifying your burns? If not, you may not know if the disc failed to burn correctly until you try to use it, which might be several months later. Maybe your discs just didn't work from the get go.

Just a question that came to mind after reading this thread, no one mentioned verification.
                          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                          X