X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow backup to hard drive

Hello Everybody,
    Having just purchased this program to backup my DVD's this is my first post.
    My PC consists of Windowws XP, AMD 4800+ Dual Core CPU, 4gb ram, 2tb 32mb Cache 7200 HDD, LGBH10LS30 Blu Ray Rewriter and Plextor DVD DL Rewriter.
    What I am doing is backing up thge main movie only, minus HD audio and all soundtracks except for English. (DMA was enable after the installation when I had to restart, it said that it would work better or something like that anyway).
    This has reduced the size of the main movie to 22 GB, so I press start and it starts copying the title to HDD. It says it will take 8 hours !! I go ahead with it anyway because I know that times on programs can be wrong, but this is actually correct, unfortunately.
    Why is it so damned slow !!! I can't help feeling that I have wasted good money on a lifetime licence.
    Can anybody please help me to speed this up? I contacted support and they told me to reset DMA and it made it worse, actually an hour longer to backup to HDD . I am really fed up, please save me

Originally posted by crazyhorse View Post
    Hello Everybody,
    Having just purchased this program to backup my DVD's this is my first post.
    My PC consists of Windowws XP, AMD 4800+ Dual Core CPU, 4gb ram, 2tb 32mb Cache 7200 HDD, LGBH10LS30 Blu Ray Rewriter and Plextor DVD DL Rewriter.
    What I am doing is backing up thge main movie only, minus HD audio and all soundtracks except for English. (DMA was enable after the installation when I had to restart, it said that it would work better or something like that anyway).
    This has reduced the size of the main movie to 22 GB, so I press start and it starts copying the title to HDD. It says it will take 8 hours !! I go ahead with it anyway because I know that times on programs can be wrong, but this is actually correct, unfortunately.
    Why is it so damned slow !!! I can't help feeling that I have wasted good money on a lifetime licence.
    Can anybody please help me to speed this up? I contacted support and they told me to reset DMA and it made it worse, actually an hour longer to backup to HDD . I am really fed up, please save me
    No you did not waste your money! Make sure all your codesc are set to software, put the disc in let it analyze fully it will say scanning at the bottom wait till that is done! Also make sure your XP is up to date
    For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by DiabloZoe View Post
      No you did not waste your money! Make sure all your codesc are set to software, put the disc in let it analyze fully it will say scanning at the bottom wait till that is done! Also make sure your XP is up to date
      Thanks, yes it is set like that already and XP is up to date........

Comment

Riplock removed?

Crazyhorse, also make sure you have removed the riplock from your bluray drive. You can find out more about this at;

Fastest DVD Copy Guide A question that many people often is ask is: How long does it take to copy a DVD movie? Unfortunately, there is no simple answer for this seemingly simple question. The total time that a DVD copy process consumes is dependent on many factors that you might not be aware of. But

Rip locks slow down the DVD or bluray movie copy (ripping) speeds of your drive. These rip locks have been put in place by the drive manufacturers to appease the Hollywood movie studios and to “frustrate†people (like you & I) who would like to copy their DVD and bluray movies! Your fair use rights can be restored and these hidden rip locks can actually be removed with a little bit of effort. (And it really shows it when ripping bluray movies because of their huge size such as the 22GB you point out.)

You can use a little program called "MediaCodeSpeedEdit" to reprogram the drives firmware. I went from a 12 hour bluray back-up process down to 17 min.! And no, you didn't "waste" your hard earned money. My lifetime purchase was the best $$ I've ever spent!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mdy4Blues; 04-17-2011, 08:37 PM. Reason: addl info
        Hand Built PC - ECS RS400-A MoBo w/ 3.2ghz Pentium 4, 1.5 GB RAM, LG WH08LS20 Bluray burner, Sony DRU-842a DVD burner, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT PCIE card w/1gb vram, 650w PS, Windows XP Pro/SP3, Maxtor 200gb/160gb & Seagate 1TB internal HDDs. Samsung HDCP-compliant 23" TFT-LCD monitor, stereo speakers. (Life's the perfect thing to pass the time away.)

Comment

That didn't make any difference I'm afraid. The only firmware available at the moment is an unofficial firmware which is supposed to work with MediaCodeSpeedEdit and I used this as per the speededit instructions......

Comment

Thanks, yes it is set like that already and XP is up to date........
            Please post your log for this movie that took so long, also what are you doing compressing 50GB to 25GB?, movie only also what do you have running in the background? AnyDVD anything like that? Also make sure you are compressing on the HDD and not using the BD burner to do it that will save wear and tear and allot of time too! I back up a 40gb movie no compression in about 30 min doing movie only. I don't think you need to disable the rip lock thats at your own risk!
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Make sure you are set to BD50 in the little dropdown box. BD25 is for compressing to a 25 gb disk. You may be compressing without realizing it. I do movie only so mine is always set to BD50, no problems.

Comment

Please post your log for this movie that took so long, also what are you doing compressing 50GB to 25GB?, movie only also what do you have running in the background? AnyDVD anything like that? Also make sure you are compressing on the HDD and not using the BD burner to do it that will save wear and tear and allot of time too! I back up a 40gb movie no compression in about 30 min doing movie only. I don't think you need to disable the rip lock thats at your own risk!
                Erm, ok. I have since tried again and cancelled when it made no change, so as far as the log goes I don't know where it is (or where it's stored after a backupto HDD). Because I cancelled a couple of times will the original full copy log still be there or will I have to backup to HDD again?
                As for apps running in the background there is nothing that scans the DVD/Blu Ray drives. I don't have anyDVD, I have no need for it.
                As for compressing on the HDD and not using the burner to do it, do you mean I should tick the box 'compress drive to save disk space' ?
                Also, if you backup a 40gb movie with no compression in 30 minutes, how do you write that to a 25gb BDR?

Comment

Originally posted by HIDEF View Post
                  Make sure you are set to BD50 in the little dropdown box. BD25 is for compressing to a 25 gb disk. You may be compressing without realizing it. I do movie only so mine is always set to BD50, no problems.
                  So, I'm guessing then that if you later want to write it to a 25gb BDR then you just have to make sure the end size is 25gb or less? Would I also be right in thinking that if you wanted to backup a Blu Ray to a BDR you would then have to set the drop down box to 25gb? If that is the case then it would still be incredibly slow?

Comment

Erm, ok. I have since tried again and cancelled when it made no change, so as far as the log goes I don't know where it is (or where it's stored after a backupto HDD). Because I cancelled a couple of times will the original full copy log still be there or will I have to backup to HDD again?
                    As for apps running in the background there is nothing that scans the DVD/Blu Ray drives. I don't have anyDVD, I have no need for it.
                    As for compressing on the HDD and not using the burner to do it, do you mean I should tick the box 'compress drive to save disk space' ?
                    Also, if you backup a 40gb movie with no compression in 30 minutes, how do you write that to a 25gb BDR?
                    Here are the steps: in your setting I think in general it shows and gives in option were to write to the HDD and also a temp folder, it's going to be C drive by default. I have a partition just for Fab. I suggest you change from your C drive to some were with space. Once that is done Fab will write it's own folders there. Main movie and Full disc. Now when you put your movie in up top of Fab there is source and target, source will be the BD and target will be the HDD location, make sure BD50 is set at the bottom of Fab. If doing movie only you can do it also when you write the 50gb file, at this point you have done no compression yet. Once you have written to the HDD make that file your source and select your options. E.g. Compression, remove HD Audio which ever but now you will be compressing on the HDD, when done load up ImgBurn and burn away. The only reason it takes time is compression when you write the file to the HDD you are just copying with no protection! I always do movie only and use 50gb BDRE

Comment

Here are the steps: in your setting I think in general it shows and gives in option were to write to the HDD and also a temp folder, it's going to be C drive by default. I have a partition just for Fab. I suggest you change from your C drive to some were with space. Once that is done Fab will write it's own folders there. Main movie and Full disc. Now when you put your movie in up top of Fab there is source and target, source will be the BD and target will be the HDD location, make sure BD50 is set at the bottom of Fab. If doing movie only you can do it also when you write the 50gb file, at this point you have done no compression yet. Once you have written to the HDD make that file your source and select your options. E.g. Compression, remove HD Audio which ever but now you will be compressing on the HDD, when done load up ImgBurn and burn away. The only reason it takes time is compression when you write the file to the HDD you are just copying with no protection! I always do movie only and use 50gb BDRE
                      Ok, I wrote it to HDD (I was already using a seperate partition anyway). Set my source and target as you said and compression to fit a 25gb BDR. Started it and the time to complete just went up and up within 30 seconds it was going to take 5 hours so I cancelled it.
                      I took the precaution of giving my target a different name, (original name ICON70184) and made the target in the same partition ICONComp. Is this correct or should I let it work on itself i.e. ICON70184 (Source) to target (ICON70184) ?

Comment

Could it be anything to do with the AVV codec? Everything is set to software and Lightning is enabled.
                        Copy of the codec information :

Graphics Chipset :
                        NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

Supported Video Codecs :

CoreAVC : cannot be detected.

Comment

Ok, I wrote it to HDD (I was already using a seperate partition anyway). Set my source and target as you said and compression to fit a 25gb BDR. Started it and the time to complete just went up and up within 30 seconds it was going to take 5 hours so I cancelled it.
                          I took the precaution of giving my target a different name, (original name ICON70184) and made the target in the same partition ICONComp. Is this correct or should I let it work on itself i.e. ICON70184 (Source) to target (ICON70184) ?
                          Not sure what you mean? My 2 tb drive is partitioned in 500gb drives so I have my E partition named DvdFab and that's were I copy all my movies to. It does not matter what you name them. Also you are gonna have to take your rig into consideration! I think you said you had a dual core? Compressing down 50gb to 25gb is gonna take some time! There are a lot of factors I always do the same thing movie only to my HDD and the time to copy is always the same! I have never compressed a 50gh movie to 25gb because I think it's a waste if you have a high end system but that's me! Please post all of your logs so we can take a look and see if we can figure this out for you!

Comment

Crazyhorse processor would be considered bottle neck. AMD 4800+ Dual Core CPU simply won't cut it. Consider investing in quad or six core. Also if you gone run on software instead of cuda and ati stream. Going with intel is better. As intel processor support instructions which will greatly benefit encoder.
                            If you fail to plan...you plan to fail wouldn't you not agree..Think about it

Comment

Not sure what you mean? My 2 tb drive is partitioned in 500gb drives so I have my E partition named DvdFab and that's were I copy all my movies to. It does not matter what you name them. Also you are gonna have to take your rig into consideration! I think you said you had a dual core? Compressing down 50gb to 25gb is gonna take some time! There are a lot of factors I always do the same thing movie only to my HDD and the time to copy is always the same! I have never compressed a 50gh movie to 25gb because I think it's a waste if you have a high end system but that's me! Please post all of your logs so we can take a look and see if we can figure this out for you!
                              I've found the logs :
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X