Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much Compression with a Blu Ray disc is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much Compression with a Blu Ray disc is too much?

I was wondering how much compression is too much when compressing a movie down to a BD-25 disc? At what percentage of compression will you start to see the quality of video suffer? Anybody have any thoughts?

How much is too much?

Either you compress it down to fit on a BD-25 or don't and put it on a BD-50. The question would then be, how much can your wallet or purse suffer by buying BD-50s as opposed to BD-25s? The 50s are still quite pricey! Then it comes down to the next question ... just how GOOD is the movie and does it "justify" putting it on a 50? I've copied my $40 Avatar movie to a 25 and didn't really see any video degradation. Hope that answered your question
    Last edited by Mdy4Blues; 04-17-2011, 09:09 PM. Reason: gender equality
    Hand Built PC - ECS RS400-A MoBo w/ 3.2ghz Pentium 4, 1.5 GB RAM, LG WH08LS20 Bluray burner, Sony DRU-842a DVD burner, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT PCIE card w/1gb vram, 650w PS, Windows XP Pro/SP3, Maxtor 200gb/160gb & Seagate 1TB internal HDDs. Samsung HDCP-compliant 23" TFT-LCD monitor, stereo speakers. (Life's the perfect thing to pass the time away.)

Comment

Originally posted by sdmarasso View Post
      I was wondering how much compression is too much when compressing a movie down to a BD-25 disc? At what percentage of compression will you start to see the quality of video suffer? Anybody have any thoughts?
      Or do you really want all that BS that comes with a movie, or would you rather just pop it in and play? Movie only all the way!! Thats just me!
      For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Me too,DZ. Just bought my copy of Tron. Removed hd audio and ending credits and it fit. I'm set at 23000 so as not to burn to the edge. Only way to go, pop it in and watch the movie.

Comment

wish i knew how to remove the credits :-(

Comment

Originally posted by thisizbrian View Post
            wish i knew how to remove the credits :-(
            Choose Main Movie when you're copying to the HDD and click on the bottom small window bar that says something about Title/Chapters and it will allow you to choose what chapter to start and end the movie. Most likely you just remove the last chapter which is usually the end credits. I did it with Sin City to get it to fit uncompressed on a 25GB disc with HD audio selected.

Comment

Cutting end credits

Here's some screen shots on how to cut the credits

Thanks to SuperFist for pointing this out! I never noticed it before!
              Hand Built PC - ECS RS400-A MoBo w/ 3.2ghz Pentium 4, 1.5 GB RAM, LG WH08LS20 Bluray burner, Sony DRU-842a DVD burner, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT PCIE card w/1gb vram, 650w PS, Windows XP Pro/SP3, Maxtor 200gb/160gb & Seagate 1TB internal HDDs. Samsung HDCP-compliant 23" TFT-LCD monitor, stereo speakers. (Life's the perfect thing to pass the time away.)

Comment

Mdy4Blues is THE MAN!

Comment

Some of us do want the BS and extra stuff not just the movie. That's great if Main Movie only suites you but some of us are still waiting for a Blu-Ray Cuntomize feature like on DVD Copy so we can pull out the useless previews and what seems to be extra copies of the movies embedded in the disc to make it bigger and just have the movie, menus and extras with minimal compression. Extra unneeded padding seems to be the reason that movies are compressed so low. I've had many movies that are supposed to be the same quality(56-60%) and are roughly the same disc size within .5GB and the compressed bit rate widely varies. Some recompress at about 12000-15000 kbps and others recompress at 8000-10000 kbps even after removing HD audio and the only thing the seem to have in common are what seem to be 2-3 extra copies that have the same or similar runtimes as the first title. Last word was that the developers are still working on Customize but it is hopefully coming. Once again if you want the main movie that's great but if you don't you shouldn't let the"why do you the want the extras and BS" attitude change you from want you want for your Blu-Rays. And to DVDFabs' credit those movies that came out with a 8000-10000kbps compression range the quality was actually quite good. Still better looking quality than the compressed HD on most networks.
                  Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 04-20-2011, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DharmaBummed69 View Post
                    Some of us do want the BS and extra stuff not just the movie. That's great if Main Movie only suites you but some of us are still waiting for a Blu-Ray Cuntomize feature like on DVD Copy so we can pull out the useless previews and what seems to be extra copies of the movies embedded in the disc to make it bigger and just have the movie, menus and extras with minimal compression. Extra unneeded padding seems to be the reason that movies are compressed so low. I've had many movies that are supposed to be the same quality(56-60%) and are roughly the same disc size within .5GB and the compressed bit rate widely varies. Some recompress at about 12000-15000 kbps and others recompress at 8000-10000 kbps even after removing HD audio and the only thing the seem to have in common are what seem to be 2-3 extra copies that have the same or similar runtimes as the first title. Last word was that the developers are still working on Customize but it is hopefully coming. Once again if you want the main movie that's great but if you don't you shouldn't let the"why do you the want the extras and BS" attitude change you from want you want for your Blu-Rays. And to DVDFabs' credit those movies that came out with a 8000-10000kbps compression range the quality was actually quite good. Still better looking quality than the compressed HD on most networks.
                    Don't know if it's a quote from my post, but as I said I want to pop the movie in and watch that's it! Like I said it's me I have all the movie channels and when a movie I have backed up comes on and is played continously having it on BD is moot. So I use BDRE and erase and backup something new. New features are gonna be great for Fab and all the users, this is not an attitude it's just how I do it!
                    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Compression to me defeats the whole purpose of Blu-Ray. Dvd not so much. My general rule is 90% of the original for dvd. Blu-Ray I don't compress. I know some of you might think I'm crazy for spending bucket loads of money on 50gb discs. but I like to retain the original quality when backing up my Blu-Rays. JMHO!

Comment

Exactly! I use BDRE 50gb for the big movies and 25gb for the movies that fit! Never compress!

Comment

Originally posted by btufail View Post
                          Compression to me defeats the whole purpose of Blu-Ray. Dvd not so much. My general rule is 90% of the original for dvd. Blu-Ray I don't compress. I know some of you might think I'm crazy for spending bucket loads of money on 50gb discs. but I like to retain the original quality when backing up my Blu-Rays. JMHO!
                          Originally posted by DiabloZoe View Post
                          Exactly! I use BDRE 50gb for the big movies and 25gb for the movies that fit! Never compress!
                          No doubt you've considered this and I'm probably preaching to the choir, but given the relative costs, why not archive to hdds?

You can pick up a 2 TB Samsung for $74.99, shipped....available at newegg until 4/28.
                          Throw in a media player like my Argosy for about $89 and you're way ahead.

My bet is the hdd will outlast your burned BDs.
                          Even so, no matter since you've always got the originals

No more expensive or "bad discs".

You'll never have to get up from your comfy chair again...not to look for or change a disc...
                          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Maineman is now certainly converted !!!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                              Maineman is now certainly converted !!!
                              Oh Yeah !!!:...
                              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                              X