Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much Compression with a Blu Ray disc is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now you just have to get the house and your network set up properly so you really can take advantage!!!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
      No doubt you've considered this and I'm probably preaching to the choir, but given the relative costs, why not archive to hdds?

You can pick up a 2 TB Samsung for $74.99, shipped....available at newegg until 4/28.
      Throw in a media player like my Argosy for about $89 and you're way ahead.

My bet is the hdd will outlast your burned BDs.
      Even so, no matter since you've always got the originals

No more expensive or "bad discs".

You'll never have to get up from your comfy chair again...not to look for or change a disc...
      I've never really put much thought into that. but it's something i would consider. but i have a few questions.
      1. i have an expansive collection of dvds and blu-rays. What format would i need to save the blu rays and dvds so that they will play on the argosy or some other media player? Not to mention i would need about 25-30TB to do this.
      2. Will i lose any video quality during playback. Is playback similar to bd/dvd playback,eg: chapters, menus?
      3. will these media players like the Argosy play HD audio and 3D?
      4. Can i still playback Blu-Rays at 1080p 24hz?
      Last edited by btufail; 04-27-2011, 02:23 PM.

Comment

See my comments below in RED

Originally posted by btufail View Post
        I've never really put much thought into that. but it's something i would consider. but i have a few questions.
        1. i have an expansive collection of dvds and blu-rays. What format would i need to save the blu rays and dvds so that they will play on the argosy or some other media player? Not to mention i would need about 25-30TB to do this.

You can save them as an uncompressed ISO & retain all quality but most of us use h264 MKV's. This can be compressed or uncompressed and this is a very subjective issue. You have to try it yourself. I would suggest that you will be surprised with the results.

Maineman would be best to comment on some of the results on the Argosy.

2. Will i lose any video quality during playback. Is playback similar to bd/dvd playback,eg: chapters, menus?

See above

3. will these media players like the Argosy play HD audio and 3D?

I don't know about this particular model, but there are models that I know that will play HD & 3D,,,

4. Can i still playback Blu-Rays at 1080p 24hz?

This terminology is just an advertising B/S beatup. Of course YES!!!
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
          No doubt you've considered this and I'm probably preaching to the choir, but given the relative costs, why not archive to hdds?

You can pick up a 2 TB Samsung for $74.99, shipped....available at newegg until 4/28.
          Throw in a media player like my Argosy for about $89 and you're way ahead.

My bet is the hdd will outlast your burned BDs.
          Even so, no matter since you've always got the originals

No more expensive or "bad discs".

You'll never have to get up from your comfy chair again...not to look for or change a disc...
          I have a pretty high end system and everything is run through HDMI but the receiver has 4 inputs and they are all being used. When I pick up another receiver with more inputs I probably will get with the times! I use BDRE and just erase over them I have a huge DVD/Bluray collection but only watch them one time so I thinks its a waste and don't want to collect any more movies!! Thanks for the advice!!
          For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Well DZ, seeing what you have said, it's got me beat why you even bother backing up your disks at all.

"I use BDRE and just erase over them I have a huge DVD/Bluray collection but only watch them one time so I thinks its a waste and don't want to collect any more movies!!"

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              Well DZ, seeing what you have said, it's got me beat why you even bother backing up your disks at all.

"I use BDRE and just erase over them I have a huge DVD/Bluray collection but only watch them one time so I thinks its a waste and don't want to collect any more movies!!"
              I have all the pay channels, here in the USA and say when a new movie comes out like Predators the network will play it over and over and over and over, I have it on BDRE and at that point I can erase it and put another movie on it.
              For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
              or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Hi to all!!!
                I'm new to this forum...
                Sorry, the thread is rather old but it concerns exactly my problem...
                I made a Blu-Ray "movie only" backup with Expendables 2(title 684) with only the HD track and the final size it's about 24GB...
                I would like to cut the endings in order to make the movie to fit in a BR single layer...
                Here comes the issue: The movie is split in 17 chapters and the last one includes 10minutes of the movie as well, making impossible the cut...
                Is there any option that allows me to select the title start/end settings by HH/MM/SS? otherwise the only option I have is to remove the HD audio...

any suggestion?

thank you!

Originally posted by Mdy4Blues View Post
                Here's some screen shots on how to cut the credits

Thanks to SuperFist for pointing this out! I never noticed it before!

Comment

Originally posted by junkman1980 View Post
                  Hi to all!!!
                  I'm new to this forum...
                  Sorry, the thread is rather old but it concerns exactly my problem...
                  I made a Blu-Ray "movie only" backup with Expendables 2(title 684) with only the HD track and the final size it's about 24GB...
                  I would like to cut the endings in order to make the movie to fit in a BR single layer...
                  Here comes the issue: The movie is split in 17 chapters and the last one includes 10minutes of the movie as well, making impossible the cut...
                  Is there any option that allows me to select the title start/end settings by HH/MM/SS? otherwise the only option I have is to remove the HD audio...

any suggestion?

thank you!
                  You don't necessarily have to clip the ends to make it fit on a BD25. You can have the software compress the movie to fit on your BD25. The quality will be about 98% of original. You will never see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Digidave View Post
                    You don't necessarily have to clip the ends to make it fit on a BD25. You can have the software compress the movie to fit on your BD25. The quality will be about 98% of original. You will never see the difference.
                    thanks a lot for your reply.
                    ok, I got your point (in this case it would be 92% compression, not so much), but that means that at the moment there is no other option than chapter selection?

Comment

Originally posted by junkman1980 View Post
                      thanks a lot for your reply.
                      ok, I got your point (in this case it would be 92% compression, not so much), but that means that at the moment there is no other option than chapter selection?
                      Hi junkman1980
                      You are correct, there is not an option yet for frame by frame only chapters.
                      This has been requested before but has yet to be implemented into Fab.
                      CBR929
                      Last edited by CBR929; 12-04-2012, 03:20 AM.
                      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

If burning a regular blu ray try burning the 24 gig file with img burn if the file is to big img burn gives two choices burn to end of disk that will cut the ending where the disk ends or over burn it will try to burn to areas of the disk not used doing this sometimes works well other times you get reading errors.Imgburn trys to record the extra data if its not much over the disk normal.I can get 23.9 gigs on a 25 gig Tdk or Digistor blu ray write once disk rewritable disks are a tad smaller and fit less data so if your disk is 24 gigs img burn should be able to burn it maybe normally if not the i would try write to end of disk first.

If burning 3d
                        You can use img burn with a (3d iso) if the file is a little to big img burn will tell you and ask if you want to use burn to the end of disk or over burn.If you use burn to the end of disk it may just cut the ending off where the disk runs out if you use overburn it will try to burn all of the bluray to parts of the disk not normally used sometimes you will get write errors and sometimes it works fine.
                        Now if the reduced file is not a iso then put it back into fab bluray copy write data and change the target from your blu ray drive to a iso fab folder by clicking the blue disk in a hand next to target then in about 20 mins your 3d file will be turned into a 3d iso with all the 3d files in it.Close fab go back into fabs files under iso's drag and burn that file in img burn (iso to disk).Img burn must burn a iso not a file when working with 3d.
                        Last edited by glenns; 12-04-2012, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
                          Hi junkman1980
                          You are correct, there is not an option yet for frame by frame only chapters.
                          This has been requested before but has yet to be implemented into Fab yet.
                          CBR929
                          Thank you!That's exactly what I needed to know!

Originally posted by glenns View Post
                          You can use img burn with a (3d iso) if the file is a little to big img burn will tell you and ask if you want to use burn to the end of disk or over burn.If you use burn to the end of disk it may just cut the ending off where the disk runs out if you use overburn it will try to burn all of the bluray to parts of the disk not normally used sometimes you will get write errors and sometimes it works fine.
                          Now if the reduced file is not a iso then put it back into fab bluray copy write data and change the target from your blu ray drive to a iso fab folder by clicking the blue disk in a hand next to target then in about 20 mins your 3d file will be turned into a 3d iso with all the 3d files in it.Close fab go back into fabs files under iso's drag and burn that file in img burn (iso to disk).Img burn must burn a iso not a file when working with 3d.
                          Yeah,I know what u mean with the overburning and that's an option.
                          but...sorry,I don't understand what it has to do with 3d iso...the movie it's in 2d

p.s. FYI it's a iso.

Comment

Junkman read my post again the top part tells you how to do it with a regular blu ray.

Comment

Originally posted by glenns View Post
                              Junkman read my post again the top part tells you how to do it with a regular blu ray.
                              ok! I really appreciate your help! it's very kind of you!

Comment

Working...
                              X