This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dasadpoet View Post
    I was going threw the reply's a that W&B said. I built this pc well i bought it off ebay but i replaced everything but the power supply. Im not a guy that has money alot of money. So i haven't been up on the latest hardware. When i received the card in the mail My jaw dropped. its humongous compared to my Geforce 8500gt that i have in there right now. Little by little i have been upgrading this pc. So u pointed out about plugging in the power cable to my card which frankly i have never seen before. (thought it just ran off the motherboard like all my cards in the past have) So it has a plug in the front and will plug that in when i get my dvi cord in the mail (has no blue connector )

As described by my good friend W&B, you can't just indiscrimately add RAM.
    Has to conform to the mobo specs and RAM already installed. ? Conform ?
    Did you install only 1 stick? yes
    If so, you should not do this with this board. ? Then what do i do ? How can i make them coexist ? Do i just take all ram out exept new one and let it marinate with the motherboard ?

PC Specs Running Windoes XP profesional
    3.10 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    500.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 [Optical drive]
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 [Optical drive]
    Board: ASRock A770DE+
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.60 05/20/2010

2944 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty - I have 4 gb installed but system only shows that i have 2.9 . Am i doing something wrong?

Power supply 450W

I built it over the last 2 yrs upgrading the processor recently.

I have 6 gb total of ram that i have. Only have 4gb installed but it never goes over 2.9. Do i have to do something else to get it to work ?

I am running off of the 2gb that i bought off ebay. Its the only ram in the computer. No restart. Is my other ram not compatible ? Do i have to do something to make them get along ?

Thank you everone for your help.
    yes something is wrong move both slots of ram over to dims 3 and 4 leave the second one open
    For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

I assume u meant move dimm 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 and leave dimm slot 1 open. Did that and wont go past 2.9 gb

I searched it also online on Google and came to a thread that someone said reset the cmos. Maineman said this but didn't know exactly how. So i went to download.com and got a program to do it (De-comos) . I did it and then restarted the computer. It went to a black screen that said it cant load cmos if i remember it correctly. Gave me options of flash boot up, boot up menu i believe and boot up by default also set up (which i did and it went to blue screen and had my hard drive selected then went grey and i couldn't select it). Flash boot up brought me back to the menu when i restarted so i went with boot up by default and it went to windows and then i checked and No change. still 2.9gb

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
      Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
      Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
      Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB
      Amd 64 X2 Dual core processor 6000+ 3.09Ghz
      Geforce 9800Gt 512mb
      3gb ram
      Win Xp
      600W power supply

Comment

I assume u meant move dimm 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 and leave dimm slot 1 open. Did that and wont go past 2.9 gb

I searched it also online on Google and came to a thread that someone said reset the cmos. Maineman said this but didn't know exactly how. So i went to download.com and got a program to do it (De-comos) . I did it and then restarted the computer. It went to a black screen that said it cant load cmos if i remember it correctly. Gave me options of flash boot up, boot up menu i believe and boot up by default also set up (which i did and it went to blue screen and had my hard drive selected then went grey and i couldn't select it). Flash boot up brought me back to the menu when i restarted so i went with boot up by default and it went to windows and then i checked and No change. still 2.9gb

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
        Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
        Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
        Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB
        try this channel 1 is DIMM 0 and 1, channel 2 is DIMM 3 and 4
        so channel "1" =2048 and channel "2" =2048 Dual configuration.
        good luck.

Slot 'DIMM0' 1024 MB
        Slot 'DIMM1' 1024 MB
        Slot 'DIMM2' 2048 MB
        Slot 'DIMM3' Empty
        Windows 7 64bit ultimate
        CPU: i7 4770K @4.5 vcore@1.28v temps 27c/67c
        RAM: 16GB DDR3 @2133
        GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
        SSD: 2 X 60GB OCZ vertex 3 RAID 0 (boot drive)
        HHD: 1 TB WD BLK (storage and back up)
        PSU: 760W ,Fans 1x200mm and 2x120mm

Comment

Im confused Ernie ? I have 3 sticks of memory in there. Dimmo 0 Channel 1 is 2gb and Channel 2 dimm 3 and 4 are 1 gb stick each, if i got you correct . But what do i do ? thank you for your help
          Geforce 9800Gt 512mb
          3gb ram
          Win Xp
          600W power supply

Comment

I think i get it . laying in bed it hits me 2 slots are reguler and the other 2 are dual channel memory. I f you would be so kindly to show me like on newegg.com what i need please. thank you

is this what u mean ?

Last edited by dasadpoet; 05-13-2011, 05:28 PM. Reason: Adding new link
            Geforce 9800Gt 512mb
            3gb ram
            Win Xp
            600W power supply

Comment

I think i get it . laying in bed it hits me 2 slots are reguler and the other 2 are dual channel memory. I f you would be so kindly to show me like on newegg.com what i need please. thank you

is this what u mean ?

no look at Intel memory lay out on 3 stick configuration.
              Link
              Windows 7 64bit ultimate

Comment

I just looked at your motherboard it may not support 3 stick memory
                configuration.

page 15 http://download.asrock.com/manual/A770DE+.pdf
                Windows 7 64bit ultimate

Comment

so 1st 2 are four the 1gbs with the lower speed first then the 2 gb ?
                  Geforce 9800Gt 512mb
                  3gb ram
                  Win Xp
                  600W power supply

Comment

so 1st 2 are four the 1gbs with the lower speed first then the 2 gb ?
                    yes try that
                    Windows 7 64bit ultimate

Comment

what u are saying in the other box is they might have to be all 800 or all 1066 not mix. will try when i wake up . thank you for your help
                      Geforce 9800Gt 512mb
                      3gb ram
                      Win Xp
                      600W power supply

Comment

Back in post #14, I posted a link for your motherboard. It's the same link ernielee provided again in post #22
                        It sounds like you missed it...sure would have saved you some trouble.

Anyway, this thread has gotten pretty long and confusing.
                        I think you should revert back to when your rig ran smoothly...albeit slowly.

Please pull the eBay RAM out and re-establish the original RAM configuration with the original sticks.

It sounds like you installed the "new" video card at the same time as the eBay RAM...correct?

Did you ever resolve heat issue with the card?
                        Did you oonnect the 6 pin power connector?

If this is not resolved, please pull the card also so we can help you to troubleshoot from the beginning
                        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I honestly do not know why we should have multiple threads this length supporting hardware problems when this is a DVD Forum?

If people do not have the knowledge or capabilities, then take it to a computer repairer.

As I say to my kids about food, "If you can't kill it, don't eat it!!"
                          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

-Only needs help with memory now -

My system might not support 3 stick memory ? does this mean needs 2 or 4. the sockets are 2 yellow and 2 orange in color. do i need only same kind of memory ? cause 2 work

I knew something was familiar about switching the memory out and rearranging it. Thank you mainman and Ernie. I just invested alot of money in this computer and i want it to work proper. Bought the processor and motherboard back in febuary (upgraded from a really old board that came with the pc and a single core processor too a new board cause it had more then 2 slots of memory) my new one can handle 16 gb apartly but fails to register ) . Since gregiboy certainly has it out for me im asking for help, You reply trying to make problems for me instead of helping.

The ram switch up didnt work and dont know if its my board or ram. I just got My dvi cord so going to hook video card up again. Not sure if i installed them both at same time. I remember putting the video card in and getting beeps which i hope i have solved that problem by reading over this topic and realizing there a power connector on the card. My old card i use now has no plug and iv been out date for a couple of years i see.
                            The video card should be fine after i get some time to install it on to motherboard. the only problem is the memory not the ebay stick (that is a mystery to me but not priority) I have 4 gb installed (no ebay memory well yes all ebay memory but not the 1 i just got) and only 2.9gb is working but 4 gbs is registerd. Even though it seems i have rubbed Gregiboy wrong when i never did anything to him (reminds me of a bully that doesn't like some situation and uses his popularity to push his way)

The ebay ram has been out cause it kept showing blue screen and restarting pc. So i took it out. I upgraded this board for memory and now i cant use memory thats not working proper. that's it that's all im concerned about.

Gregiboy- Computer store wants $65 to work on a pc. More important things can be done with that money when i have it (I payed for video card on credit card shouldnt have done that but o well)
                            Last edited by dasadpoet; 05-14-2011, 03:26 PM. Reason: added repairer
                            Geforce 9800Gt 512mb
                            3gb ram
                            Win Xp
                            600W power supply

Comment

If your OS is 32 bit it will only show 3gb BUT shouldn't BSOD if more is installed. To take advantge of more ram you'll need a 64 bit OS. I'm not sure if your board supports 3 sticks but I always played it safe and made sure all my ram was matched and not mixed.
                              Sorry I'm not more helpful, off to work now. Goodluck!!

Comment

reading has made me think that i cant have 3 stick memory only 1 2 or 4 like ernie said. and if 4 they have to be all identical. That identical does it mean all DDR 2 1066 or 800 or is it size. say all 2 gbs or 1gb . the stick i got from ebay is ddr2 800 and the others are 1066 . I bought the wrong board but have to live with it. If i am correct which it says on page 15 in the illustration then please let me know and what i am correct about or wrong. Thank you correction 2 gb is 800 not 1066. so i need 2 of these STT DDR2 800 2GB PC2-6400 or 4 not 3 or 1gbs of the same speed and everything. If so please let me know and ill be done
                                Geforce 9800Gt 512mb
                                3gb ram
                                Win Xp
                                600W power supply

Comment

Working...
                                X