Why BD50 to BD9 conversion so slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DVDFabLover2011 View Post
    I don't think PIO mode is the problem here, because the whole process doesn't involve the burner yet.
    You're not understanding this.
    The PIO/DMA snafu is a windoz issue and can involve CD-ROM drives, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, BD-ROM, BD-RW and IDE hdds.

Most folks use the term burner to differentiate between ODD's and HDD's and I plead guilty.
    ROM and RW drives should be called optical disc drives
    My apologies for the confusion

Actually, read errors...not burn errors, are the most frequent cause of an optical disc drive (ODD) falling back into PIO.

Maybe this description from my Tips guide on ripping will help:

7) Additionally, slow, inefficient or failed data transfer can be the result of a drive falling back from
    DMA mode to PIO mode.
    (Direct Memory Access and Ultra DMA modes to Programmed Input-Output mode).

A dvd drive in PIO mode will perform poorly or not at all.
    The degradation in the rate of data transfer occurs as Windows encounters CRC errors (max of 6) eventually locking the drive in PIO mode.

You absolutely need to check this in windoz device manager.
    It is not sufficient that the device says DMA if available, it needs to actually be in DMA mode. (really this is UDMA).

If you're interested, here is an excellent article on the subject, which both describes the problem in detail and offers solutions.

[COLOR="Red"]

Lastly, we don't know that PIO mode is the problem, but that's just the point...
    We don't know without adequate info from you.

It's certainly one of the top items on our list of usual suspects and needs to be addressed.
    Last edited by maineman; 09-30-2011, 04:32 AM.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      How old is this machine and is it desktop, portable, brand?

As my good frien, Maineman always says "The Devil is in the detail"!!!
      Hi GregiBoy,

It is a Sony. It is a Blu-Ray entertainment laptop.

Comment

Hello maineman,

I visited:

Will the "resetdma.vbs" work on Windows Vista? (The script said it is for Windows XP, 2000).

I cannot find anywhere to know whether it is in PIO mode or what. Please see screenshot.

Thanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi DVDFabLover2011
          Go to Device Manager, click on the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, double click the first IDE Channel, click Advanced Settings this will show you your DMA status.
          CBR929
          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Posting logs which have been asked for already will show which mode he is in!
            For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
            or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
              Hi DVDFabLover2011
              Go to Device Manager, click on the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, double click the first IDE Channel, click Advanced Settings this will show you your DMA status.
              CBR929
              CBR929,

I don't see it. Please see screenshot. Thanks.
              Attached Files

Comment

You are almost there:
                right-click on controller (inside red square on your screenshot, Intel) -> Properties -> Advance Settings.
                Post here what you see
                sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                  You are almost there:
                  right-click on controller (inside red square on your screenshot, Intel) -> Properties -> Advance Settings.
                  Post here what you see
                  Dear Mr. IPopov50,

Please see my post # 18 in page 2.

Thank you.

Comment

Here is the Internal log that I promised. This is for the movie "Om Shanti Om" which took about 53+ hours to finish.

DVDFab 8.1.2.0 (2011/09/24 01:18:21)

0m 01.76s: Qt Translator file load success
                    0m 03.26s: option dvd2dvd 0 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 bd2mobile 0 bd23d 1 bd2dvd 0 file2mobile 1 filemover 0
                    0m 35.41s: got bdmv
                    0m 35.63s: got extended bdinfo
                    3m 52.00s: Blu-ray Copy: Main Movie
                    3m 52.00s: Source: C:\Users\Lam To\Documents\DVDFab\Om Shanti Om\MainMovie\OMSHANTIOM\BDMV\
                    3m 52.00s: Playlist: 0
                    3m 52.00s: Chapters: 1 -> 26
                    3m 52.02s: TotalSize: 36976 MB
                    3m 52.02s: SourceSize: 30106 MB
                    3m 52.02s: RemoveHDAudio: 1
                    3m 52.02s: CompressToAC3: 0
                    3m 52.02s: OutputDisc: BDMV
                    3m 52.03s: SoftwareFriendlyAVCHD: 0
                    3m 52.03s: OutputTarget: BD9
                    3m 52.03s: OutputVideo: 1080p/i
                    3m 52.03s: info: enable bd copy(mode=0)
                    3m 52.05s: info: video encode mode(0), bitrate(4402), lr-encode(no)
                    3m 52.05s: info: streams(4113.2,4352.4)
                    3m 52.05s: info: blu-ray copy begin (unit[elem[atomic[00002.m2ts]]])
                    3m 52.09s: info: enable multi-thread software decoder
                    3m 53.19s: info: h264_encode: encode param profile(2) level(41) bitrate(4402)
                    3m 58.41s: info: processing source(00002.m2ts)
                    3448m 01.64s: info: group(elem[atomic[00002.m2ts]]) playtime(10143174 ms) source(36976 MB) request(7920 MB) real(7880 MB) bitrate(4402 kbps)
                    3448m 01.77s: compress finished: groups request(7920 MB, 7920 MB) real(7880 MB) average_bitrate(4402 kbps)

Comment

Here is the Internal log for the movie "Red Riding Hood". Took about 50+ hours to finish also.

42m 31.33s: got bdmv
                      42m 31.60s: got extended bdinfo
                      44m 47.43s: Blu-ray Copy: Main Movie
                      44m 47.43s: Source: C:\Users\Lam To\Documents\DVDFab\BD50 Red Riding Hood\MainMovie\RED_RIDING_HOOD\BDMV\
                      44m 47.43s: Playlist: 0
                      44m 47.43s: Chapters: 1 -> 13
                      44m 47.43s: TotalSize: 17261 MB
                      44m 47.44s: SourceSize: 14686 MB
                      44m 47.44s: RemoveHDAudio: 0
                      44m 47.44s: CompressToAC3: 1
                      44m 47.44s: OutputDisc: BDMV
                      44m 47.44s: SoftwareFriendlyAVCHD: 0
                      44m 47.44s: OutputTarget: BD9
                      44m 47.46s: OutputVideo: 1080p/i
                      44m 47.46s: info: enable bd copy(mode=1)
                      44m 47.46s: info: video encode mode(0), bitrate(9887), lr-encode(yes)
                      44m 47.46s: info: streams(4113.2,4352.2,4608.1)
                      44m 47.47s: info: blu-ray copy begin (unit[elem[atomic[00001.m2ts],atomic[00027.m2ts]]])
                      44m 47.47s: Lightning-Recoding (accelerate H.264 software decoding and encoding) enabled
                      44m 47.47s: info: enable multi-thread software decoder
                      44m 48.50s: info: h264_encode: encode param profile(2) level(41) bitrate(9887)
                      44m 52.60s: info: processing source(00001.m2ts)
                      2904m 46.54s: info: processing source(00027.m2ts)
                      3167m 06.26s: info: group(elem[atomic[00001.m2ts],atomic[00027.m2ts]]) playtime(5990025 ms) source(17261 MB) request(7920 MB) real(8012 MB) bitrate(9887 kbps)
                      3167m 06.37s: compress finished: groups request(7920 MB, 7920 MB) real(8012 MB) average_bitrate(9887 kbps)

Comment

I just ran the "resetdma.vbs" script. Here is the result. Please see screenshot.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, I've been away for 3 days.
                          I see from post #18 that you're running Vista and and this:

Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

Bummer, I'm afraid all bets are off...including the .vbs script registry patch.
                          I'm not familiar with this controller and I have totally avoided Vista, but to the best of my knowledge, DMA is not applicable with your setup.
                          I also avoided the AHCI drivers and went with IDE when I built my Win7 rig 2 years ago.

There's a very slim chance that enabling an IDE configuration in your bios will help with this issue, but frankly, I doubt it.
                          Nothing I've read seems helpful.

I have no idea what changed with Fab to create this issue for you.
                          I'm assuming this all went bad with the QT versions?

A few thoughts:

Taking 48+ hours to rip a BD disc is beyond absurd.
                          Couple this with the fact that you're using a laptop with an internal slimline ODD and you're really at a serious disadvantage.

Please don't take this personally, it is not meant to criticize you.
                          Slimline burners are less than ideal for BD processing, plus they are subject to excessive heat.
                          Add this to your 48+ hours of wear and tear and I'm surprised it works at all.
                          Also, the burner is very likely a Matshita or as Fengtao says, matSHITa

You may get around all this by using an external ODD, particularly for ripping, as this seems to be your biggest problem.
                          Do you have an extra BD-ROM or RW or can you borrow one?
                          I'd hate to recommend buying one since there's no guarantee it'll resolve the problem...but it should.

You would get the ODD off the current controller and onto the usb controller,
                          plus you'd have a more robust burner and not exposed to so much heat.
                          You can thow it in an external case or just jury-rig it and connect via usb.

While a desktop is better suited, there's no reason you can't use a laptop, plenty of Fab users do.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
                          Last edited by maineman; 10-03-2011, 04:08 PM.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Dear maineman,

Thank you for your reply. What makes me mad is that version 8.1.0.5 Qt only took about 3 hours or less. Then version 8.1.1.2 Qt increased the conversion time to about 7 hours. Every new versions increased the time it took to convert. Now with version 8.1.2.5 Qt, it took a whopping 50+ hours to finish.

I think the staffs here need to contact the developers about this. This is the software's issue, not the computer because nothing was changed except the version of the software. I also noticed other people on here are having the same problem as well. I purchased this software for the BD50 to BD9 (1080 p/i) conversion and now I cannot use it

Comment

Originally posted by DVDFabLover2011 View Post
                              Dear maineman,

Thank you for your reply. What makes me mad is that version 8.1.0.5 Qt only took about 3 hours or less. Then version 8.1.1.2 Qt increased the conversion time to about 7 hours. Every new versions increased the time it took to convert. Now with version 8.1.2.5 Qt, it took a whopping 50+ hours to finish.

I think the staffs here need to contact the developers about this. This is the software's issue, not the computer because nothing was changed except the version of the software. I also noticed other people on here are having the same problem as well. I purchased this software for the BD50 to BD9 (1080 p/i) conversion and now I cannot use it
                              You're welcome.
                              I just wish I knew enough to be able to help, but I'm just another "shade-tree mechanic"
                              I don't blame you for feeling frustrated and angry and I agree it is the developers' responsibility.

Where I part company with your opinion is laying any blame on the forum staff.
                              Believe me, the forum staff does make the team in Beijing aware.
                              Moreover, the Beijing team monitors this forum.

The forum staff are in the proverbial spot... "between a rock and a hard place".
                              They "get the heat", but have no power to effect change in Beijing other than what they already do.

Any culpability rests squarely in Beijing.
                              Just my 2 cents.

Comment

maineman,

How do I report this problem to the developers (those who fixes the bugs)? Or I don't have to?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X