Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it not possible to compress a 3D movie to fit on a BD25 disc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it not possible to compress a 3D movie to fit on a BD25 disc?

I have tried compressing numerous 3D movies to fit onto a BD25 disc and always end up with a corrupted .iso. It states that the compression worked successfully but when I attempt to play back the file on my computer it almost immediately crashes my software player (both PowerDVD and TotalMedia). If I burn the .iso to disc and attempt to play it in a standalone player the movie is highly pixellated with artifacting, color bleed and screen tears. Totally unwatchable.

Some of the 3D movies I've tried to compress are Avatar, Dredd, Hugo, Predator, Top Gun, Prometheus, Cloudy 2, World War Z, Jumper, Gravity etc and many more. None of them worked.

I can compress a regular BD50 to BD25 without problems. This only happens when I try to compress 3D movies down to BD25.

The latest 3D movie I tried to compress was Gravity so I've included the log for that one as well as the log for Jumper.

Is this a known issue? Not being able to compress a 3D movie? If any more info is required just let me know I'd like to get this resolved.
    Attached Files

OK I tried to compress Thor The Dark World 3D last night to BD25 and once again the process failed even though it states it completed successfully. Is it not possible to compress 3D movies? I've included the new log. Can someone help me with this please?
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm sorry this won't be helpful to you as lately I just have all my movies on my network and not on blank media, but yes it is possible to compress a 50GB 3D down to 25GB, and it still looks great at 25.

Have done it on a bunch of movies over the last year, but not in the last few releases of dvdfab as I'm making files to stream over my network instead of burning to media.

Now I'm taking movies to 3DMKV to get them down in size.

I wasn't able to do all of them, some I had to leave at 50 when making discs.
      And I never played them back on my computer... used my 3d BluRay player.
      Had to go thru a couple different types of media and blu ray players to find a combination that worked good for me.

Comment

Another trick I would use sometimes when using 25GB media is to split the movie. Sometimes I had a hard time with the compressing, so I would just do a full 50GB rip to the HDD.
        Then, using that mounted ISO, start another copy, using MOVIE ONLY and select the 1st half of the chapters, and burn that to a separate .iso (then to disk) then I would do the same with the remaining chapters...
        Burn those to a separate .iso and then to a 25GB disc.

Ended up with 2 discs for the movie, but there is no compression (best quality) and 2 25GB discs are/were cheaper than 1 single 50GB disc.

(just another idea if you are using 25GB media and having a hard time compressing from 50GB)

Comment

Splitting it up is a good idea but I want the entire disc backed up not just the movie. So you have successfully compressed a 3D movie down to BD25? I wonder why it never works for me? The only thing I see in the log that implies why it didn't work is where is says EstimatedBlocksCanNotBeCompressed. I only see that when I try to compress a 3D movie and never a regular Blu-Ray. But I have no idea why it can't be compressed.

Comment

I take that back. I just compressed the non-3D movies Riddick and All Is Lost and both had EstimatedBlocksCanNotBeCompressed in their logs yet both worked perfectly. So now I'm at a total loss why 3D compression isn't working.

Comment

Hi Diaboyos,

What standalone player do you use? We know there is a compatibility problem with PS3 for 3D backup disc.

We are working on a solution, and will have a new version soon.

Best Regards,
              Fengtao
              DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
              http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Diaboyos:Some of the 3d blu rays like your doing such as Thor 3d have not been released in the US. where the release date is 2-25-14.There's a chance the copy protection may not be fully supported yet on these new disks however most all of the older disks should work.

You must use the latest beta of Fab when ever doing new disks as the copy protections get updated in the program as well as on the servers.Your using older Fab software now so update to newest beta 9027 or if there's a latter version before you do anything else.

Your pioneer blu ray burner firmware is 2 versions out of date.Yours is version 121 newest version is 135 and can be downloaded here http://www.firmwarehq.com/Pioneer/BDR-207D/files.html

If you don't know how to flash your burner drive you can burn it out if you don't follow the directions or loose power during the flashing of your drive.Most times you just have to download a file but some drives require you follow any directions fully as their are sometimes different firmware for the same drive OEM versions and non OEM versions.

First Take a store brought 3d disk make sure it's clean and scratch free for best results then use clone/burn to make a 50 gig 3d clone iso to hard drive.

Then after on hard drive do the compression to 25gigs in blu ray copy you can output to 25 gig iso to play back on the hard drive using a 3d software player or 3d media player.Or you can output to 25 gig disk and burn the disk.When using a Iso on the hard drive to play in a software player use Fabs free virtual drive to load the 3d iso in it first then load that into your 3d software player for playback of a ISO.
                Last edited by glenns; 02-15-2014, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fengtao View Post
                  Hi Diaboyos,

What standalone player do you use? We know there is a compatibility problem with PS3 for 3D backup disc.

We are working on a solution, and will have a new version soon.

Best Regards,
                  Fengtao
                  I've tried both the Samsung BD-F5900 and the LG BD670. Honestly I don't think it's a problem with the standalone though because the compressed file won't play on the computer either. After I compress a movie backup to fit onto a BD25 I test it on the computer before burning it to a disc just in case of compression failure. If it plays fine on the computer it plays fine on the standalone. For some reason though every 3D movie that I try to compress to BD25 ends up with an unusable ISO. Are there any settings I need to be looking at for this? I've been unable to successfully compress a single 3D movie out of the dozens I've tried.

Comment

Originally posted by glenns View Post

Your pioneer blu ray burner firmware is 2 versions out of date.Yours is version 121 newest version is 135 and can be downloaded here http://www.firmwarehq.com/Pioneer/BDR-207D/files.html
                    That's weird. Pioneer's official website still has 121 as the latest version. Thx for the link. I've updated.

First Take a store brought 3d disk make sure it's clean and scratch free for best results then use clone/burn to make a 50 gig 3d clone iso to hard drive.

Then after on hard drive do the compression to 25gigs in blu ray copy you can output to 25 gig iso to play back on the hard drive using a 3d software player or 3d media player.Or you can output to 25 gig disk and burn the disk.When using a Iso on the hard drive to play in a software player use Fabs free virtual drive to load the 3d iso in it first then load that into your 3d software player for playback of a ISO.
                    This is exactly what I do but it doesn't work on 3D movies. It says it completed successfully but the end result ISO is corrupted and unwatchable. The same process works fine for regular movies. It is only 3D movies that fail to compress properly.

Comment

Hi Diaboyos
                      Please post your logs using the original disc, and no ISO files.
                      CBR929
                      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Your log files show you are making a (full disk 2m 24.45s: Blu-ray Copy: Full Disc) I want you to use clone/burn using the store brought disk in blu ray copy and make a cloned iso to hard drive then compress using the latest fab version 9 and output as a iso.
                        Last edited by glenns; 02-15-2014, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glenns View Post
                          Your log files show you are making a (full disk 2m 24.45s: Blu-ray Copy: Full Disc) [1] I want you to use clone/burn using the store brought disk in blu ray copy and make a cloned iso to hard drive then [2] compress using the latest fab version 9 and output as a iso.
                          And just to verify... you are running two separate backup jobs using the above instructions. I inserted a [1] and a [2] above to specify the two different jobs you will run.

The first one is just to get the disk contents onto your HDD.
                          When doing compression, it is always better to work with a copy that is on your HDD. Takes a little longer... but if you want better results, this is the way to go.

The second one is the job that actually compresses the first .iso into a 25GB iso.
                          Before you start the 2nd job, you need to mount the first iso you ripped in step 1 as a drive letter... using DVDFab Virutal Drive or compatible product.

Comment

Oh, I see where glenn was going...
                            yes.. use the Clone option for the first rip. Not the full disk. Sorry.

I just compressed my GATSBY down to a 25GB disk. But w/my 3D movies, I tend to have an easier time with them when I do a MOVIE ONLY on the final .iso that I write to the disk.
                            To be honest, I dont have many 3Ds compressed down to 25 that are the full disk. A few, but most are movie only because I ran into problems with hangups or hangups on menus and stuff. Once I switched to mostly doing Movie Only, my success percentage went way up.
                            Last edited by dgrams; 02-15-2014, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Yes clone store disk to drive then if you want a 25 gig main movie you go do that in step 2 put the cloned iso in Fab you can use virtual drive for this also as once loaded into virtual drive and Fab is open the Fab will load the iso for you.

Now use the cloned iso to make a main movie 3d you said you wanted or full disk 3d so set Fab to 25 gigs now.You can make one or the other but it's best to output the full disk or main movie to ISO then burn it or play with software player using virtual drive to load the ISO then play with the software player.
                              Last edited by glenns; 02-16-2014, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X