Taking 20 hours to copy a movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kannkor View Post
    You say your laptop can burn the blu-ray in 2 hours.. Are you talking just burning it, or are you talking putting in an original, copying it to HDD, then burning it?

Because I highly doubt that laptop can rip and burn a blu-ray in 2 hours. If you mean a DVD.. well - then you aren't comparing apples to apples.

I would do a few tests if you can to see if things are functioning..
    Take a non-encrypted Blu-ray, and see what speeds you get for copying a file or 2 from the blu-ray to your HD. Your RAM is aweful low.. but I don't know how important that is for these tasks..
    just figured out the movies were only 20-23gbs and I told it too copy just the main movie and then it put it into a temp folder, then asked me to insert blank media thenI started to burn it all with 2.5 hrs. I have people who have witnessed it.

I actually did the test you told me to do and it went way faster. I took a Blu-ray I already backed up and it was faster by 2.5 hrs. thinking I need a quad core to make my life easier.
    Lancool K-56 case.
    OCZ 700watt PSU.
    MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
    AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
    ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
    16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
    OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
    WD 2TB.
    EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
    LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

What graphics adapter is in your laptop? I'm asking because I just started having the 20+ hours to re-encode to a lower disc size and I just upgraded from a GeForce 8500 GT to a HIS Radeon HD5770 and went from 7.5 hours at .99-1.00 MB to re-encode to 20+ hours at .50 MB or less. The only thing I could think of was that the 8500 GT had support for CUDA acceleration for VC-1 and H.264 and currently the HIS HD 5770 shows no hardware acceleration support at all. I bring it up because I notice you mention your PC has an ATI card in it and I thought this might be a link.

Comment

Oh wow that laptop is old so theres nothing special about it. After I found out the files where only 20 to 23gbs it didnt have to shrink the files so it didnt take long to back them up so thats my problem with that. On my desktop I have a new but old ATI HD 2400XT for 22.00 I cant complain. I have DVX help with my burner from the card. Did you turn the GPU accelerator on? Mostly its the size of the disc your compressing and the Processor speed so I have been told and I believe it.

This is my 100th post celebration time is in order lo.
        Lancool K-56 case.
        OCZ 700watt PSU.
        MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
        AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
        ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
        16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
        OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
        WD 2TB.
        EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
        LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

I found the GPU accelleration sometimes takes longer than no GPU accelleration. DVDFAb is continually improving this but as suggested by IPopov50 in other posts using software or CoreAVC seems to be faster on some systems and configurations (thanks for the info by the way). CPU definitely helps. I just upgraded my system to Core-i7 and things are screaming along. I just got a new GTX 480 video card and am going to do some tests with the GPU accelleration to see which still works best for me.

Comment

Well then it's a problem with the program after 7.0.5.1 because I'm still using the Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz processor I was getting 7.5 hour encodes on. The only change has been the video card. After looking at the change logs I'm thinking it may have to do with the slow speed/ high quality setting that was added in 7.0.5.1.

Comment

I tried fast and slow options. For Fast/ Normal I level out at .60 MB a sec with a ETA of 13+ hours and at Slow/ High I level out at .30 MB a sec wit a ETA of 25+ hours. Either a change was made in DVDFab that had affected performance or a GeForce 8500GT with CUDA out performs a ATI Radeon 5770with no GPU acceleration. If CUDA is the difference in performance then please start working on implementing ATI Stream for GPU acceleration. Really bums me out that I upgraded my video card and got better performance from a significantly lower tier older video card. I'm pretty sure the 8500GT is about 3 generation behind the HD 5770.

Comment

Working...
              X