Full disc faster than 30gb to 25gb compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by directeeccks View Post
    LOL yea 12 minutes is right for the amount of money you will pour into a system like that. I wish I could afford that. Yea the fermi tech is great.
    I know... no kidding. It's my son with other kids at university were killing time, and i was asking them to do this test for me. The movie was, I believe, Lord of the Rings - I'm not sure which one.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by unknownbluray View Post
      OK now I want a quad core so I can get these movies compressed in no time lol. I thought my computer was fast maybe in the day it was. Atleast I wouldnt have to upgrade video card, Burners or HDDs.
      One thing you could try, is have dvdfab do the "full disc" to your hard drive, then split it with a freebie program called TSmuxer from smart labs. (hopefully that is not one of DVDFab's competitors. Pretty sure it is for very different things)

Anyhow,, that would get the bluray movie at 100% quality, but on two discs. You would have to jump up and change discs in the middle.

Hopefully a split function will be popping up soon in a new beta..

Comment

Originally posted by dperino View Post
        Anyhow,, that would get the bluray movie at 100% quality, but on two discs. You would have to jump up and change discs in the middle.

Hopefully a split function will be popping up soon in a new beta..
        What's a point of splitting, what are you gaining? an exercise - get up from a couch to change discs? You are not saving any money - two BD25 and one BD50 cost about same...
        I use different math for this: Let's say you buying WD external drive 2TB - $129 in Costco. This drive will fit abt 80+ BRs ripped with DVDFab in remux to mkv - no loss of quality whatsoever. Buy WD TV - $68 in Sam's Club + HDMI. You're done!!!!
        $1.61 per movie expenses, that's it!!! Your original BR goes on a shelf - it's your backup now. External drive could be hooked up to anything - player, ps3, anything...
        sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

The split feature is on the to do list according to post #34 in this thread below

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
            What's a point of splitting, what are you gaining? an exercise - get up from a couch to change discs? You are not saving any money - two BD25 and one BD50 cost about same...
            I use different math for this: Let's say you buying WD external drive 2TB - $129 in Costco. This drive will fit abt 80+ BRs ripped with DVDFab in remux to mkv - no loss of quality whatsoever. Buy WD TV - $68 in Sam's Club + HDMI. You're done!!!!
            $1.61 per movie expenses, that's it!!! Your original BR goes on a shelf - it's your backup now. External drive could be hooked up to anything - player, ps3, anything...
            Well, you kinda lost me with all the hard drive, Sam's club tv, and stuff,, but I can surely answer the part about discs costing the same. I buy BD-r's for 2 dollars or less a disk. Bd-R DL are about 10.00 or more a disk. I would get up and change a disk at 3.80 per movie, instead of 10.00 to 14.00 a disk double layer. and I am an incredibly lazy man!!!

I do keep ISO files on hard discs, but like DVD and blu-ray discs so the family can watch without taking over my computer.

Yeah, AGJ,, I saw that last night. Good deal!!
            Last edited by dperino; 05-07-2010, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dperino View Post
              Well, you kinda lost me with all the hard drive, Sam's club tv, and stuff,, but I can surely answer the part about discs costing the same. I buy BD-r's for 2 dollars or less a disk. Bd-R DL are about 10.00 or more a disk. I would get up and change a disk at 3.80 per movie, instead of 10.00 to 14.00 a disk double layer. and I am an incredibly lazy man!!!

I do keep ISO files on hard discs, but like DVD and blu-ray discs so the family can watch without taking over my computer.

Yeah, AGJ,, I saw that last night. Good deal!!
              Basic idea he is trying to point out is that splitting the disc is not cost effective or even burning on disc for that matter. I myself do his method seeing on how much it saves me money. I can say that with a set top box like the wdtv with a hard drive connected is way cheaper per back up then 3.80 dollar a movie. I have a 2 tb hdd(140dollars) I bought with 42 blurays(main movie)backed up on it with about a 1 tb left. Leaves me with the cost of 1.70 per movie. You yourself said your lazy you dont even have to get up to change the disc with this method. As well as no disk are involved means no scratches, no coasters, and less wear and tear on your blu ray burner.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by unknownbluray View Post
                I mean I had DVDfab put the full disc onto my Hard drive but I want to compress it to fit on a 25gb blu-ray, will it be faster than going from disc to disc or about the same? I wont be upgrading to Win 7 in a loooong time I like XP and I may want VIsta but with Win7 being able to track you etc no thank you. Now memory will help me process faster that I know I should look into it. I just hate thos 20hrs crap.

Complication I realize that BD info is huge compared to DVD just trying to figure it more. I am se to smaller movies like 23 to 25gb and compressing the 25gb in no time. Not use to the 40+gb.
                I understand what you are trying to do. Ripping to your hard drive first may or may not make a speed difference but it is the recommended approach.

The only options that will make a real difference are to upgrade the PC. The OS and memory memory make very little difference. The things that do make a difference are the raw clock speed of your processor, number of cores, motherboard I/O bus speed, and (possibly) any help from your video card. There is no workaround.

Comment

Depends on the movie - the last couple I did took ~5.5 hours each, one originally was 31GB the other was 35GB. I re-encoded both to 9GB, "movie only" and convert DTS to AC3 and I can't tell the difference on my 50" plasma and mid-range home theater between the original and my re-encoded version. YMMV

My setup is W7 running on Q9400 (OC to 3.4 GHz) & 2GB RAM.

Comment

come on blue ray to a dual layer dvd? There should be a big differance in quality!

Comment

Originally posted by RocKKer View Post
                      Depends on the movie - the last couple I did took ~5.5 hours each, one originally was 31GB the other was 35GB. I re-encoded both to 9GB, "movie only" and convert DTS to AC3 and I can't tell the difference on my 50" plasma and mid-range home theater between the original and my re-encoded version. YMMV

My setup is W7 running on Q9400 (OC to 3.4 GHz) & 2GB RAM.

I re-encoded both to 9GB, "movie only" and convert DTS to AC3
                      How did you do that????
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hanibal View Post
                        come on blue ray to a dual layer dvd? There should be a big differance in quality!
                        As I said, FOR ME, I can't tell the difference. You rip to whatever size/bitrate is acceptable to you, and again YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                          I re-encoded both to 9GB, "movie only" and convert DTS to AC3
                          How did you do that????

I have sent you a PM.

Comment

Whats so funy about the cant tell a difference thing is it reminds me of when I first got my HDTV my brother was I cant tell the difference between HD and standard Tv. Then he got one and he could tell the difference. Then there was He couldnt tell the difference between Standard DVD and Blu-ray till I got a PS3 then he noticed it. So I'm sure there is slight difference but maybe not to the naked eye?

Perfect example DVD on a non-upconvert DVD player VS Upconverted DVD There is a slight difference but not enough to write home about.

COmplication so what your telling me is just get a quad CPU, a decent mobo and slightly more memory ( I do know I cant use what I got)
                            Lancool K-56 case.
                            OCZ 700watt PSU.
                            MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
                            AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
                            ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
                            16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
                            OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
                            WD 2TB.
                            EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
                            LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

first off this is a great forum helps with everything... just a comment about this post.... when.. not if when the media drops (which will prob be awhile).. the cloning and full disc modes are super fast... i don't have cuda enabled in my graphics card... but when i do a clone or a main movie that needs no compression.. it takes 20-30 min to rip and about another 15min to burn with either vso or imageburn... my grapchics card is ati radeon 3400 hdmi.. which is now outdated i need to upgrade.. im runnin vista x64 home with a core 2 duo and max memory 4gb (3.5)

Comment

I just did a full 50gb back up of fast and the furious and it was super fast like Scotty said. I was amazed and I used imgburn. So far it works in the computer I have to test it in the PS3 still. Now like you said scotty if the media would come down in price it would be great.

One other question, my PowerDVD freezes up while watching a BD movie backed up is this due to the low processing power of my cpu or is it due to the backed up BD?
                                Lancool K-56 case.
                                OCZ 700watt PSU.
                                MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
                                AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
                                ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
                                16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
                                OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
                                WD 2TB.
                                EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
                                LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Working...