Full disc faster than 30gb to 25gb compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unknownbluray View Post
    Whats so funy about the cant tell a difference thing is it reminds me of when I first got my HDTV my brother was I cant tell the difference between HD and standard Tv. Then he got one and he could tell the difference. Then there was He couldnt tell the difference between Standard DVD and Blu-ray till I got a PS3 then he noticed it. So I'm sure there is slight difference but maybe not to the naked eye?

Perfect example DVD on a non-upconvert DVD player VS Upconverted DVD There is a slight difference but not enough to write home about.

COmplication so what your telling me is just get a quad CPU, a decent mobo and slightly more memory ( I do know I cant use what I got)
    Even my old eyes could immediately tell the difference between those technologies.

BTW an upconverting DVD was worth writing home about to me! I purchased one as soon as I could afford it.

Please don't trust my perception, do your own testing and pick a size/bitrate that works best for you. I am not an expert on encoding, I found what works for me, anyone is welcome to take it, modify it or simply leave it.

I store and play my movies from my media tank, not BRD, even though HDD is fairly cheap these days, size does matter to me and this size/bitrate works for me. If I stored my movie backups on a BRD I would encode it to fit a BRD, that is, if the "movie only" needed resizing.

unknownbluray,
    Yes, those items you listed will reduce your encoding time significantly. In my case, going from dual to quad (same MB) cut my encoding times almost exactly in half, so adding CPU's for encoding seems to be linear.

Also, what is your current setup? I was able to swap the CPU and still use the same MB because it supported quad. Is that an option for you?

Comment

I just did a full 50gb back up of fast and the furious and it was super fast like Scotty said. I was amazed and I used imgburn. So far it works in the computer I have to test it in the PS3 still. Now like you said scotty if the media would come down in price it would be great.

One other question, my PowerDVD freezes up while watching a BD movie backed up is this due to the low processing power of my cpu or is it due to the backed up BD?
      When you playing back your 50 GB Blu-ray, your processor plays little role, but your Videocard is overwhelmed by bitrate of your content (probably 30-35 Mbps) and chocked the PowerDVD.
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

i have backed up every bluray i own, 103 to be exact
        i did every one to bd25 1080 from the disk (i never thot of ripping to hd 1st!)
        every single movie plays beautifully, i dont like to compress too much so im glad i ripped all the menus and special features out.

i checked the same scene on the real disk and the backup i made on my ps3 using the display menu. the on screen bitrate went from 22megs to 16megs on a compressed movie.

it takes 2 to 3 hours depending on how long the movie is to copy, if no compression is needed it takes 15 min.

i have a q6600 at 3.4ghz 4megs ram and the cheapest vid card ever so no cuda help

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
          When you playing back your 50 GB Blu-ray, your processor plays little role, but your Videocard is overwhelmed by bitrate of your content (probably 30-35 Mbps) and chocked the PowerDVD.
          Ipopov50,
          I cant update my chip to a quad its a socket 939 AMD..

I tested my backup on the PS3 works flawlessly as goos as the original. I'm very very happy. I do have a plan yup for the time being till I can afford a new mobo, cpu and memory

Buy some 25gb BD-R's for smaller movies
          Have some BD-R DL's on hand for the larger files.
          Lancool K-56 case.
          OCZ 700watt PSU.
          MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
          AMD 8 core FX-8120 3.1ghz.
          ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX cooler.
          16gb G.skill 1600mhz memory.
          OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
          WD 2TB.
          EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
          LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Ipopov50,
            I cant update my chip to a quad its a socket 939 AMD..

I tested my backup on the PS3 works flawlessly as goos as the original. I'm very very happy. I do have a plan yup for the time being till I can afford a new mobo, cpu and memory

Buy some 25gb BD-R's for smaller movies
            Have some BD-R DL's on hand for the larger files.
            I'm sincerely glad that after all we being through you're happy and in good spirit. I see you having a strategy for the future, and even if I have different view of a concept, I'm happy for you. Remember, we here to help each other - stay with a forum even if you have no problem - you have valuable experience to share with others.
            sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Ipopov50,
              its the only solution I can afford lol. And I figure since I bought this program I might as well find a way to get past the bums my computer is giving me lol. Well unless someone knows someone who wants a MD-1000 thermal printer in the US I cant do much more.

Gonna be saving lots of Blu's to the HDD.
              Lancool K-56 case.
              OCZ 700watt PSU.
              MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
              OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
              WD 2TB.
              EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
              LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Ipopov50,
                its the only solution I can afford lol. And I figure since I bought this program I might as well find a way to get past the bums my computer is giving me lol. Well unless someone knows someone who wants a MD-1000 thermal printer in the US I cant do much more.

Gonna be saving lots of Blu's to the HDD.

I know the feeling on needing money for a new cpu. Im am currently looking at a 6 core barebones with 1tb hdd ,decent mobo,4gig of ddr3 ram, power supply and case for 599 U.S. and since its amd you can over clock the mess out of it.

SO the only thing I can think of is to go pull the mower out on my days off and go to work. Yea like 6 yards a day 2 day a week should do it in a month or so. I really want that hex core lol.

I have found a really good priced one as well for quad amd with 1tb hdd 2gig ddr2 ram,mobo,power supply and only 299 U.S. So I could see that being within your reach with like a little side job during the summer. It will get cheaper in the months to come.

So good luck! Time to get some rest for some of those lawns tomorrow.

Cheers!

Comment

ahh that isnt bad for a quad core AMD I was thinking of overclocking this CPU but not sure it it would help.
                  Lancool K-56 case.
                  OCZ 700watt PSU.
                  MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
                  OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
                  WD 2TB.
                  EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
                  LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Unknown,

Dont overclock it. Its really not worth it on a dual core and its your only compy. The cheapest way to get better performance out of your system is to increase the ram. Im not really familiar with your chipset but you could maybe find some cheap ram on cragslist or the net. Also Ive seen some quads cpus as low as 99 u.s. and some mobo for like 45 U.S. Depending on you ram you could just replace the mobo and the cpu. At 150 U.S. Which is not bad at all.

I saw your thermal on ebay selling for like 100U.S. maybe try that out.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by directeeccks View Post
                      Unknown,

Dont overclock it. Its really not worth it on a dual core and its your only compy. The cheapest way to get better performance out of your system is to increase the ram. Im not really familiar with your chipset but you could maybe find some cheap ram on cragslist or the net. Also Ive seen some quads cpus as low as 99 u.s. and some mobo for like 45 U.S. Depending on you ram you could just replace the mobo and the cpu. At 150 U.S. Which is not bad at all.

I saw your thermal on ebay selling for like 100U.S. maybe try that out.

Cheers!
                      When you figure 99 and 45 isnt bad to update to make the processing time to go down isnt bad at all. I believe I have DDR2 ram dont ask much more cause I dont remember the rest been awhile since I looked at it. Yeah that thermal is cheap I'm surprized there hasnt been a bidding war yet for it. Then theres a gu who wasnt I think 399 or 499 US for his I would be happy just to get enouch to pay for the new set up.
                      Lancool K-56 case.
                      OCZ 700watt PSU.
                      MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 AM3+.
                      OCZ Agility 120gb SSD.
                      WD 2TB.
                      EVGA GTX Geforce 550Ti.
                      LGWH12LS38 BD-RE

Comment

Originally posted by directeeccks View Post
                        Basic idea he is trying to point out is that splitting the disc is not cost effective or even burning on disc for that matter. I myself do his method seeing on how much it saves me money. I can say that with a set top box like the wdtv with a hard drive connected is way cheaper per back up then 3.80 dollar a movie. I have a 2 tb hdd(140dollars) I bought with 42 blurays(main movie)backed up on it with about a 1 tb left. Leaves me with the cost of 1.70 per movie. You yourself said your lazy you dont even have to get up to change the disc with this method. As well as no disk are involved means no scratches, no coasters, and less wear and tear on your blu ray burner.

Cheers!
                        Well, I never knew that set top boxes like that existed. I just now bought a "Briteview" brand box, because it plays .iso files from external USB HDD's. Plug my externals in, and play 'em. Thanks for the info!! No more burning disks!! I already have 10.5 TB of external storage, onlyabout 2 TB's used.

Comment

Originally posted by dperino View Post
                          Well, I never knew that set top boxes like that existed. I just now bought a "Briteview" brand box, because it plays .iso files from external USB HDD's. Plug my externals in, and play 'em. Thanks for the info!! No more burning disks!! I already have 10.5 TB of external storage, onlyabout 2 TB's used.
                          Well thats good to hear! Just keep in mind hdd crash so be sure to either back them up on another hdd or disk. Now what I do to save me money if i back up info on disk is winrar the iso and seperate them on dvd 4.5. Which are very cheap. I only do this when i start to run out of hdd space or i fear that my hdd may fail. But still the cost is around 3 bucks to have on hdd and disk for save keeping.

That bright view look very nice. I am right now looking at a whole mess of them to find the right one to fit my needs. The wdtv gets the job done though.I cant wait till one supports nice browsers that display like fan art/ cases with a summary of the movie while you search for what you want to watch.

Glad to help!
                          Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                          X