X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way Too Slow

hi:

This is my first post. I just downloaded ( a few days ago) the 7062 trial ver. of dvdfab. here is what I have encountered so far.

My hardware. athlon x2 4200+ dual core, 2 GB pc3200 ddr ram. nvidia pci-e 9500gt with 1gb ram. 450 watt thermaltake power supply (cant see how a power supply affects any speed in ripping) and a 320 sata3 WD 7200 hard drive. I find compressing anything is way too slow for this to be beneficial right now. yes maybe I am spoiled by standard dvd backups regularly in the 30minute range.

I have tried backing up avatar to a 25gb bd-r. it takes over 7 hours. Then I tried setting fab to rip to a dvd 9 (dvd+r DL) and according to the timer its still over a 7 hour rip. Ridiculous. I also ripped Die Hard. It took 7 1/2 hrs and it came out all splotchy. I ripped it again (another 7 1/2 hrs) making it an .iso file but it too came out with splotchy results. I successfully backed up A Few Good Men which took 6 1/2 hrs. That came out very nice, burned to a ritek 25gb bdr. Excellent.

As i write I'm trying (may as well use the 30 day trial) to rip Avatar to a 50GB bdr. Instead of Main Movie I chose Full Disk. Looks like a 34 minute rip. So if you don't use compression then the rips are very fast. oopps it now is writing the iso file using imgburn to the hard drive (which is new to me), so add another 13 minutes (47 min total). Now that's more like it, but bdr 50gb are $11 a piece so thats not an option (YET!!).

I was thinking of building an amd phenom X4 6 core rig but it will cost me about $850 to buy all the parts from newegg. While its been 3 years since my last build and I long for a new rig it's not a good option just to test and see if it will speed things up.

I have tried [other software] which uses some type of accelerator (HST) if your video card is hst capable. my nvidia 9500gt is and rips are in the 4 hour range using [other software]. I will try to disable that pathpatch thing (sp) to see if that helps, but right now compressing bluray is in its infancy. DVDfab needs to do a much better job to accelerate the process. Regards...
    Last edited by Complication; 05-23-2010, 03:04 PM. Reason: removed non-allowed software reference
    PennsylvaniaRon
    \\\\|////
    ~ÖÖ~
    ----oOOo-(_)-oOOo----

Comment

Glad to see you didn't decide on a GTS 250. My friends brother bought that card because he thought it was a good price. Turns out it a good price because the GTS 250 is rebranded 9800GTX+(which is roughly the same in cost). This was Nvidias solutions to make it look like they had new cards available when ATI caught them by suprise with the HD5xxx series. The GTS250 is literally the only card that can be run SLI with another card that's not in it's series. You can SLI a GTS250 with a 9800GTX+ because the GTS250 is a 9800GTX+. Just figured I'd post this in case you started thinking about the 250 instead because it's cheaper.

Now if only they'd enable support for ATI Stream. My $160 card is a stinker at compression compared to my 2 free 8500GTs with CUDA.
      And pennsylvaniaaron be glad you have to only wait 7 hours. Currently 17.5 hours in with 68% done and 12+ hours to go on Public Enemies with a E7500 2.93GHZ and ATI Radeon 5770 1 GB. When testing Daybreakers I was at 20% done at 16 hours in on my main rig. On a test with main and secondary rigs compressing Daybreakers at the same time, 2 hours in secondary was at 7% while main rig was at 3.44%. Unfortunately secondary rig crashed and reset while I was sleeping so I have to try it again.
      Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 05-21-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

some more thoughts

Originally posted by DharmaBummed69 View Post
        Glad to see you didn't decide on a GTS 250. My friends brother bought that card because he thought it was a good price. Turns out it a good price because the GTS 250 is rebranded 9800GTX+(which is roughly the same in cost). This was Nvidias solutions to make it look like they had new cards available when ATI caught them by suprise with the HD5xxx series. The GTS250 is literally the only card that can be run SLI with another card that's not in it's series. You can SLI a GTS250 with a 9800GTX+ because the GTS250 is a 9800GTX+. Just figured I'd post this in case you started thinking about the 250 instead because it's cheaper.

Now if only they'd enable support for ATI Stream. My $160 card is a stinker at compression compared to my 2 free 8500GTs with CUDA.
        And pennsylvaniaaron be glad you have to only wait 7 hours. Currently 17.5 hours in with 68% done and 12+ hours to go on Public Enemies with a E7500 2.93GHZ and ATI Radeon 5770 1 GB. When testing Daybreakers I was at 20% done at 16 hours in on my main rig. On a test with main and secondary rigs compressing Daybreakers at the same time, 2 hours in secondary was at 7% while main rig was at 3.44%. Unfortunately secondary rig crashed and reset while I was sleeping so I have to try it again.
        DharmaBummed69, wow 28 hrs. thats insane. absolutely inadequate for backing up right now. When I use fab on Avatar it says Video reencode bitrate (14978 kbps), CoreAVC enabled and CUDA GPU acceleration enabled. Looks like a good 9 hr rip. btw, forgot to mention in first post I ripped Inglourious Basterds which took I think about 6 1/2 hrs and it came out excellent. So only Die Hard came out badly video wise.

I think decisions on blu ray ripping have to be made on an individual basis. Quite honestly while I do notice a difference between blu ray and standard dvds it's not by much. But I have a very good theater system so I'm wondering if that makes the difference. I'm using a Pioneer Elite 60" plasma ($6,000) with a Pioneer Elite AVR ($1500). I had an elite blu ray player ($1,000) but just got the Sony 570s player. Both have upconversion and with the pioneer plasma there really isnt much difference between blu ray and standard.

Right now I'm backing up Avatar (standard dvd) with no compression (main movie) to a dvd+r DL. I'm going to see if the bride can tell the difference between that copy and the original avatar blu ray. I'll play 5 minutes of the same chapter for her. My bet is she'll say maybe 5 or max 10% sharper with the blu ray. So that isnt worth it to me to do 6-10 hr rips of my collection which is hefty. My pioneer plasma just makes everything look so good. So everyone at this point has to be the judge on how much of a difference blu ray makes for them, especially using compression on their systems. regards...
        PennsylvaniaRon
        \\\\|////
        ~ÖÖ~
        ----oOOo-(_)-oOOo----

Comment

I would like to make the same comments. I have just done a test here with some friends over and we had three devices hooked up to my Samsung 52" LCD, A Blu-Ray Player, a DVD Player and one of my HDD Media Players and played the Avatar BR, Avatar DVD and Avatar MKV encoded from the DVD.

None of my friends thought the difference between the BR & the other 2 was anything more than 5% better and has further confirmed to me my decision to stay with DVD/MKV at the moment.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Yeah the reason that [other software] didn't take that long is it probably didn't do a very good job. Its just a rip-off of actually good software like Fab. I would stay away from that if I were you. If you're getting super fast times on encodes its probably too good to be true.
            Last edited by Complication; 05-23-2010, 03:04 PM. Reason: removed non-allowed software references
            SPECS
            DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
            SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Fab was faster than [other software] on odyessy 2001

Originally posted by Racem22 View Post
              Yeah the reason that [other software] didn't take that long is it probably didn't do a very good job. Its just a rip-off of actually good software like Fab. I would stay away from that if I were you. If you're getting super fast times on encodes its probably too good to be true.
              Just tried ripping 2001 A Space Odyssey with Fab vs [other software]. I ripped Movie Only with the 5.1 sound track and 2 English subtitles. [other software] took 4 hrs and 2 min. while dvdfab took 2 hrs and 10 min. I really thoght [other software] was going to win so I'm pleastantly surprised that Fab was faster.

That was the initial [other software] trial 1 free copy you're allowed and I watched about 1/2 the movie so far. The quality is excellent. I did see bottom of the screen pixelation 3x that lasted for 1 second. Also my fast forward works while on my dvdfab copies it doesn't.

As I test a few more movies I will post results of times with Fab and any problems that occurred. regards...
              Last edited by Complication; 05-23-2010, 03:05 PM. Reason: removed non-allowed software references
              PennsylvaniaRon
              \\\\|////
              ~ÖÖ~
              ----oOOo-(_)-oOOo----

Comment

These forums are about DVDFab. No need to mention the name of other software you are using that does or does not do something that DVDFab does.

Comment

Working...
                X