Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel you Dharma. I'm using a P4 2.8 with 1.5gb ram. If compression is needed its about 24-40hours. Wife, kid, morgage, ect. Staples has a dual core, 3gb ram, 500gb hd for $299 right now. Trying to convince my wife we need a new computer. The problem is other than compressing BD the computer is fine for everything else we use it for!

Comment

From what I hear you'd be better off looking at a quad core. I have a dual-core and my software only times are around 18-20 hours. They say best results are best on the i7 but I'm sure a quad core socket 775 would do better than a dual core.

Comment

yea, I'm really just looking for where I can start it before I go to bed and have it done when I get home from work the next day. I'd be ok with 18-20hours. Quad cores are just more than I want to spend. I also could upgrade to a quad later after they come down in price.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkfinger View Post
          yea, I'm really just looking for where I can start it before I go to bed and have it done when I get home from work the next day. I'd be ok with 18-20hours. Quad cores are just more than I want to spend. I also could upgrade to a quad later after they come down in price.
          Quad cores are actually pretty darn cheap right now. Go on Newegg and look at the phenom II x 4 and athlon II x4. They're very well priced. Even their brand new phenom II 6-core processor is only $199. You could even go the same route I am and get a dual socket g34 asus board and two of the new amd opteron 6128s (which are 8-core) and are only $300 a piece! I'm not sayin' you gotta go that route, just giving you some suggestions.
          Last edited by Racem22; 06-15-2010, 02:24 AM.
          SPECS
          DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
          SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

give this quad core a look

Comment

Would DVDFab use 2 AMD 8-core CPUs?

Comment

Yeah the Core i5 that AGJ suggested is a nice processor as well. It looks like the "i" line of Intel processors has a couple decent priced ones too.

Bendit, as far as I know it would, yes. DVDFab uses x264 as its encoding engine which has multi-threaded support, so technically it should be using all 16 cores, but not really sure if it would have as much of a performance gain as you might think it would be. But getting processors with multiple cores is great for virtualization tasks, like running multiple virtual operating systems at the same time along with your physical operating system.
                SPECS
                DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
                SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll look into these.

Comment

Once again if for you $199 is cheap for a processor you must be one of those people with money to burn. That would be about 1/4 my monthly income and thankfully I don't have a family to support on that like others might have to. The price for a i5 is 2/3's what he was looking to spend on a whole new computer. I picked up my dual core E2180 2.0Ghz For $50 about 2 years ago. That was cheap. 4 times that amount is not. I could buy a quad core E8300 2.5Ghz for $149 and since I already have a socket 775 motherboard this would be a cheaper upgrade than a processor,motherboard,RAM and possibly power supply that I or anyone without a LGA 1156 or 1366 setup would have to buy. Once again about a minimum of $400-450 and that's if your reusing your case,video card and periphials. That's why on another post I suggested a recomended set-up as well as a minimum. I just bought a new Core 2 Duo E7500 and had I been able to easliy find that a quad-core performed better for compression I would have spent the extra $50 for a quad core. However such info is not readily available. There is no sticky thread to post you computer setup and the time it takes to compress with that setup. the best we have so far is a sticky for video cards and what acceleration modes are available. And please don't leave some elitist post about how I shouldn't be using the program or Blu-Rays if I can't afford it. I can afford it I just can't afford to upgrade my computer everytime the newest thing comes out and the more I read the more it seems that the progam is being optimized for Windows 7 systems running the new iCore series with Nividia cards. Right now AMD is looking like a more price friendly option as you can get a six core processor for around the same price as that i5 processor.
                    Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 06-15-2010, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Here's what I might do. The Staples computer is $299. It comes with 500GB HD 3gig memory. The mother board uses a AM3 socket. I could then from newegg get a quad core for $95. The problem with getting new processor and motherboard alone is I then need a HD as mine is IDE. I'd need memory, Windows blah, blah. Nothing I have now except the burner would transfer. It would add up pretty quick. I think the Staples computer would be my cheapest route. Plus I might not get the quad core for a few months.

Comment

Since your looking at another $100 on that here's an idea. On Newegg for $50 after rebate ECS Mobo , 2GB Team DDR 3 1333 RAM $50
                        and the i5 that was already linked for $199. That about what your going to spend anyway and you might have to get a new power supply also unless the one you have is enough for an i5 system. If not about another $50-100 for that. Oh wait it's that around $450 I mentioned earlier. Well that about the cheapest I could come up with for a quad core iCore system. Find out what motherboard that deal $299 deal comes with. I hate to admit it because I hate kit computers, but that might be your best dea especially since it probably comes with Windows 7 or Vista. Beware though OEM Windows are meant to die with the motherboard they came with. You can usually change the CPU, RAM, ect. but if you try a different motherboard in the future you OEM Windows may not port well and if it does port you may end up with problems anyway. EDIT. Yeah that motherboard I linked doesn't have IDE so nevermind.
                        Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 06-15-2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DharmaBummed69 View Post
                          Sailormon. We were talking about for CUDA acceleration. Of course you don't have the same problems as I do with the same video card. You have a Intel i7 920 and I have a Core 2 Duo E7500. As far as I know from what I've read on here what CPU you have seems more important than what video card you have. CPU does the main load and any GPU accleration just helps cut down the time. I know that's why you don't have the same problems with slow compression I do. Go back and compress a Blu-Ray to 25BG with Pentium II 500Mhz processor and come back an tell us how close the total times were together. When I say the recommended specs would be helpful I mean an upgrade to a GTX 260 or 275 would be cheaper than an upgrade to a i7 system as for me the would mean a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU and if I actually get a i7 cpu would be a minimum of $450 dollars and thats being generous breaking down to $100 for a mobo, $100 for the RAM and at least $250 for an i7 cpu. I wish I have unlimited funds to burn like many on here seem to do but I don't. I can upgrade my system or I can pay my rent. I don't know about you but it would be awfully tough to compress my blu-rays living on the street.
                          I certainly wasn't saying everyone should go out and buy the latest processor. What I was saying is the slow compression times are not due to the graphics card alone and that the additional time and loss of quality may not be worth it anyway, if they can be avoided by the relative low cost of BD25 media.

Comment

Maybe I could chime in here. I have a mixture of the parts being discussed. Core i7 @ 3.6Ghz and a Radeon 5850. I primarily do Main movie to BD25, most require compression from about 31-33Gbs or so. It rarely takes more than 2 hours to finish creating the backup ISO.

In other words Dharmabummed, I wouldn't throw too much regret behind your video card decision. I used to have a GTX 260 but it's long gone so I don't know what kind of speed increase I might have gotten but swapping your ATI card for an Nvidia I don't think would make up the difference if you know what I mean. The new i7 archirecture is just a huge leap forward.

That said, I'm glad at least AMD was brought up as I've seen Quad core 3Ghz Phenoms for $125 which could be the core of a great budget number cruncher in a socket upgradeable to the 6 core procs. Take it easy....

Comment

Well with my GeForce 8500 GT I can compress a 43GB MPEG 4 AVC disc to BD-25 Full Disc in about 8-9 hours with CUDA compared to 14-15 with the ATI with software only to encode. I saw a Q8400 for $140 or a q9300 for $135. I know it's no i7 but it's cheaper than a complete overhaul and hopefully that will cut the time down a bit. Maybe I can shop my E7500 around on Craigslist to offset the cost. I only got it as a combo deal with the RAM I bought which was proabably a waste too. I'm just not sure what is more important. The extra CPU speed or the extra 2MB of L2 cache. I think I'm leaning to the Q9300 as I can get it 2nd day air for less than the Q8400 with ground.
                              Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 06-17-2010, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you got a handle on it. I'm sure I'll be back to Nvidia some day. It sounds like I could get some impressive times with my old GTX card. Oh well....

I don't know much about Intel before the i7, I was all AMD. Can the CPU with the extra cache be overclocked at all? Best of both worlds? Maybe even save up for a budget minded i5 system, they may not have HT but they overclock easily to 4Ghz or so, or so I've heard.

If I had some extra parts around you could use, I'd mail em to you. I usually sell all my old stuff, or try to anyway. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X