This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Dharma & AGJ....

Guys, I think that there is a big misunderstanding here either on my part or yours and I'll attempt to clarify.

The way I understand the original post is this:-

The OP is asking that "Forced Subtitles" ONLY be written to a MAIN MOVIE ISO and extracted from the original subpicture stream. This is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with XXX to Mobile.

I stated that I felt it was a waste of time for the devs because the forced subs are usually contained within usually the main subtitle stream and that subtitle stream usually takes up very little space, Fab writes a fully-compliant ISO and asked why the request as all BD Players (and DVD players in the DVD scenario) handle this fine.

The answer was "Because our WD players cannot handle playing the subtitles correctly from the ISO!"

Now, both IPopov & I have done considerable testing with XXX to Mobile, me especially with Avatar lately and can assure you that the forced subtitles work perfectly whether rendered to the video stream or extracted externally with AVI, MKV or MKV remux and play perfectly on ALL of my currently 6 installed media players (As you may know, this number varies between 5 & 10 depending on where I am in testing stages.)

In fact, if the OP went the MKV route, he would not be having the problems that he is.

What this really comes down to is that the OP wants this feature because of a shortcoming of the WD Player and hence my comments.

I firmly believe that this is the responsibilty of WD to get their firmware correct but if you are to believe the WD forums, the chance of this happening is very slim.

It was stated yesterday that the chances of being able to use a BR menu from an ISO will never be implemented because the player is incapable of doing this.

Yes, I do keep my eye on them and actually have a WD to test as I must always keep my eye on the competitive marketplace. Other that for testing purposes, I never use it as I regard it as a POS compared to the others that I have installed.

In no way do I regard fixing of any feature/bug as a waste of time, but I do regard a request for Fab to implement a workaround to enable defective player firmware to work as a distinct waste of the developers time as they have a considerable workload on their plate.

I hope that this clears the air.

Regards, GregiBoy
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I have to admit the OP didn't specify what model he had. If it's the new WD Live TV Plus that just came out this month your probably spot on. If I had a nickel for every computer hardware product that was rushed to market with problems that have to resolved by a future firmware update I could retire comfortably. Now that I look at it again the OP didn't say he had a WD media device. That was proper88 on a later post. Sheesh egg on my face.
      Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 06-27-2010, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DharmaBummed69 View Post
        I have to admit the OP didn't specify what model he had. If it's the new WD Live TV Plus that just came out this month your probably spot on. If I had a nickel for every computer hardware product that was rushed to market with problems that have to resolved by a future firmware update I could retire comfortably. Now that I look at it again the OP didn't say he had a WD media device. That was proper88 on a later post. Sheesh egg on my face.
        Now you know why mods give replies like they do

Anyway Babblephish the OP just wanted Forced subs selection for Blu-ray to Blu-ray like Blu-ray to Mobile has and fengtao mentioned that it does that automatically and no user interaction is needed. proper88 was the one who mentioned the WD player and it's inability to play forced subs and he brought up the idea of having them burned to the movie so they always show

Comment

I simply asked about a feature that was stated to be present and then asked further if this could be enhanced, similar to an existing feature in another module. In asking for the enhancement I know this is a common issue (search around, this seems to be a problem just begging for an easy one-click solution) DVDFab could offer this to make their product even better among the other products available in the market. I guess it is the only in the realm of many of the free tools out there which allow me to extract/remux them back into the m2ts file. I can then have both the full subtitle with forced 'included' AND forced only OR only forced, whatever I want. But again, having a one-click tool such as BD to BD would have been nicer.

As for using "BD to Mobile" to create a mkv, great if you want an mkv. But, 1) what if you want the flexibility to use your backup BOTH on a BD player AND a media player. Well, if I have mkv ONLY for the media player and then BD strucuture for BD players I have twice the storage space, twice the work to create them, and I get to pay for BD to Mobile too. 2) Not all players (hardware and software), are once again, created equal. So what can be done with an mkv and how well it plays can vary widely too. So mkv is not a panacea as claimed by many. 3) FWIW, I simply find m2ts files stream better, just my experience. High bitrate mkv's seem to stumble more.

BTW, I do not have a WD but a PBO (common internal hardware used by many companies), but that really does not matter.

Comment

Working...
          X