No announcement yet.

Fast forward glitch with compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My codec settings ARE on "software" but 90% of my compressed 25gb discs do not fast forward/reverse correctly. A few seem to be all right, but most work poorly or freeze, and the degree of compression doesn't seem to be a factor.

Comment

What's that got to do with this thread?
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by jamesr88 View Post
        My codec settings ARE on "software" but 90% of my compressed 25gb discs do not fast forward/reverse correctly. A few seem to be all right, but most work poorly or freeze, and the degree of compression doesn't seem to be a factor.
        Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
        What's that got to do with this thread?
        Lots as he the OP and that what the thread is about

Comment

in mkv format u have no fast search? u do but its the slowest one.

Comment

Originally posted by hanibal View Post
            in mkv format u have no fast search? u do but its the slowest one.
            mkv is for the Blu-ray Ripper section and this is the Blu-ray Copy section compressing BD50 to fit BD25. So totally different problem

Comment

Originally posted by jamesr88 View Post
              Like you OP, I am still having problems with my Blu-Ray disks that need compression. The non-compressed disks are playing just fine, but I experience lock ups with not only the fast forward and reverse, but when the disks are paused for a minute or so. And too, similar to you, PowerDVD 9 on the computer doesn't seem to have the same problem.

I am using the latest firmware for both my player (Panasonic DMP-BD85K) and the burner (LG WH10LS30K). I experience the problem with LTH disks and non-LTH disks, and also different manufacturers (Verbatim and TDK). I have given disks to my nephew to play on his PS3 and he experiences essentially the same problem.

I have my decoding and encoding set to software with no success. I have been using ver. 8.0.0.5. I use a 3 step process for backing up, 1)DVDfab to put the full disk on the Hard Drive, 2)compress the HD full disk copy to 25GB on the HD, and 3) then burn with ImgBurn.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
              Specs:
              Intel E8400 dual core overclocked to 3.6Ghz, 8GB Ram, Geforce 8800GT. Running flawless.
              Last edited by MadMike; 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM. Reason: added specs

Comment

yup.
                i upgraded to the latest version - 8.0.0.5 and the problem still has not gone away.

Comment

I just purchased DVDFab and installed ver 8.0.2.2 and the first movie I tried copying from a BD-50 to BD-25 and the movie freezes up if I try to fast forward on my stand alone player. All of my settings are set at default on DVDFab. Is this problem still trying to be fixed or is there something that can be changed in the settings to correct the problem? There doesn't seem to be a consensus anywhere on this forum that I have found as of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mills View Post
                    I just purchased DVDFab and installed ver 8.0.2.2 and the first movie I tried copying from a BD-50 to BD-25 and the movie freezes up if I try to fast forward on my stand alone player. All of my settings are set at default on DVDFab. Is this problem still trying to be fixed or is there something that can be changed in the settings to correct the problem? There doesn't seem to be a consensus anywhere on this forum that I have found as of yet.
                    DVDFAB is a fine product, excellent at decryption and works beautifully on your backups that need no compression. Still it needs to be said outright that the Blu-ray compression utility of this software is flawed. I think you will find that many of us who need compression have moved on to other products. I am sure that Blu-ray compression must be a demanding and difficult task, and for that reason I don't think we will find an "all-in-one" product that works well on Blu-Ray disks for a long time.

I have personally tested numerous backups of the same movies with DVDFAB compression against probably the most popular free compression program. I had no success at all with DVDFAB in regards to this "Fast Forward With Compression Issue" (included were many software tweaks and tests with different brands and types of media). That other free programs ability to shrink or "rebuild" Blu-rays has worked perfectly.

Comment

The fast forward / next chapter navigation has been an issue since day 1. I've had the problems with my Oppo player for many months. It doesn't appear to be a problem the developers are interested in repairing at this point.

Comment

The fast forward / next chapter navigation had problems since day 1 and thats correct. My complaint goes way back in the foruns and never had a good response. The only response was to said that they (dvdfab team) didn't find any problem. Saying that i doubt that they spent more time analyzing this bug.

Comment

There does seem to be an issue for sure, with the number of people reporting, it can't be a coincidence. What I've always done is:

1. Rip full disk to my C: drive, and the only thing I take out is the protection, I leave all audio/subtitle tracks in, and leave setting on BD-50 so it doesn't compress Note: this step takes between 30 minutes to 60 minutes

2. Next, I select the ripped folder as the source and my E: drive as the target, still leaving setting on BD-50 so it doesn't compress, but this time I select main movie and take out all unwanted audio/subtitle tracks so what I end up with is the main movie, english hd audio, and all english subtitles(as subtitles take up little space and it's too hard to figure out which ones are the right ones to select) Note: this step only takes about 10 minutes or less

3. Then, I select that folder on my E: drive as source, and my C: drive as target, this time selecting BD-25 as output so the only thing it has to do is compress, nothing else Note: this step takes usually between 1-2 hours (depending on movie)

4. Next is burning, I run Imgburn as a standalone app, not through DVDFab, and drag compressed movie folder into it and burn Note: this step takes about 30 minutes to 45 minutes

With this method, I've never had an issue. Granted, it might take a little bit longer, but seems well worth it to me. Try this out and let me know if it helps at all. It might not, but it's worth a shot.
                          Last edited by Racem22; 10-11-2010, 03:54 AM.
                          SPECS
                          DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
                          SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Originally posted by Racem22 View Post
                            There does seem to be an issue for sure, with the number of people reporting, it can't be a coincidence. What I've always done is:

1. Rip full disk to my C: drive, and the only thing I take out is the protection, I leave all audio/subtitle tracks in, and leave setting on BD-50 so it doesn't compress Note: this step takes between 30 minutes to 60 minutes

2. Next, I select the ripped folder as the source and my E: drive as the target, still leaving setting on BD-50 so it doesn't compress, but this time I select main movie and take out all unwanted audio/subtitle tracks so what I end up with is the main movie, english hd audio, and all english subtitles(as subtitles take up little space and it's too hard to figure out which ones are the right ones to select) Note: this step only takes about 10 minutes or less

3. Then, I select that folder on my E: drive as source, and my C: drive as target, this time selecting BD-25 as output so the only thing it has to do is compress, nothing else Note: this step takes usually between 1-2 hours (depending on movie)

4. Next is burning, I run Imgburn as a standalone app, not through DVDFab, and drag compressed movie folder into it and burn Note: this step takes about 30 minutes to 45 minutes

With this method, I've never had an issue. Granted, it might take a little bit longer, but seems well worth it to me. Try this out and let me know if it helps at all. It might not, but it's worth a shot.
                            The steps you outlined is exactly what i am doing, but i am still having this problem. Don't know if it matters, but i am using win 7 64-bits.

Comment

Yes, I'm also on Win7 64-bit, please update to new beta version 8.0.2.3 to see if that helps.
                              SPECS
                              DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
                              SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Originally posted by bigmoviebuff View Post
                                The steps you outlined is exactly what i am doing, but i am still having this problem. Don't know if it matters, but i am using win 7 64-bits.
                                Sorry but I don’t understand why you are beating your head against a brick wall here.
                                There are lots of us that have experienced the exact same problem (and this is not the only thread concerning the issue). If the problem is being addressed by the developers they aren’t saying anything about it. In any case, it seems obvious that this software is not fully mature, and I would surmise that only those with higher end hardware or hardware similar to the developer, have successfully compressed without the FF issue.

May I suggest you Google for forums where people are discussing “shrinking” or “compressing” Blu-rays. I think you will find that the overwhelming majority of us who need Blu-ray compression use a freeware program. And as I mentioned above, that freeware works perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                                X