This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDShrink and Deep Analysis

I have been using DVDShrink with the Deep Analysis feature for years and am very happy with the compression results.

I have just purchased DVDFab DVD Copy, and wonder if the compression works as well as DVDShrink's Deep Analysis. Or if not, is there a way to tweak the settings to get the equivalent?

Not sure what the default on the output size is now but it was 4300 for single layer which you could change it to 4464 which is what DVD Shrink uses, I myself use 4474 but then I only use top quality media.

Comment

What have output size to do with Deep Analysis?

Comment

The larger the DVD-5 size, the less compression of any type necessary (by a negligible amount), I guess.

Geoff, I think you will be very pleased with DVDFab compression results. I too used Shrink for several years before converting to DVDFab and I have never regretted it. I now use DLs almost exclusively, so no compression worries.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I will have to try it to see how well it compresses. I know that if I use DVDShrink without enabling Deep Analysis, I am disappointed with the quality.

I want to be able to use single layer discs because they are cheaper, and I have been able to get really good results in the past with DVDShrink's Deep Analysis feature.

I have been unable to find a way to increase the lines of resolution in DVDFab as someone suggested, is there a tutorial on this?

If I don't like the compression quality of DVDFab I plan to use DVDFab to write uncompressed video to a folder and then use DVDShrink to compress to DVD5 size, then use DVDFab to write to disc. Is there a simpler way?

Comment

p.s. after I wrote the above I realized it wasn't lines of resolution but DVD size that was being adjusted. I don't see how adding a few MB to the size of the disc will really affect compression quality, but since DVDShrink uses 4464, I have adjusted to that size. Hope it helps. Anyone tried using 4700?

Comment

4700 MB exceeds the capacity of the SL disc.
              For +R the actual, physical size tops out at 4482 MB (4.378 G) and
              for -R about 4489 MB (4.384 GB).
              Most of us (old timers anyway) fix the max write size to 4472 MB and this, only with top shelf media like Taiyo Yuden and some Verbs.

To echo signals, I too, think you will be very pleased with Fab's output and have never noted a quality loss since "leaving" shrink.
              I still have it on my systems....hardly ever use it anymore, but it's like a old friend.

Personally, I'm not burning much anymore as I view most of my stuff off my hdds via my media player.

If you're compressing a lot, I'd look for the sales on Verbatim DL +R (MIS).
              Again, most of us don't compress much below about 80%...give or take, depending (Yes, it's a bit arbitrary...)

Best to judge for yourself as you are about to do.
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I use 4472mb for my DVD5 size but you could use 4482mb max if you are using good quality blank media like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden but will be more acceptable to errors on the finished DVD being that close to the disc border.

Which is why I use 4472mb for all blank media I use. If you do FullDVD to a single layer DVD you will see a difference depending on the compression being used. If you do Main Movie only then will not see much of a difference for quality

Comment

Working...
                X