Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Computer - DVDFab will not run

Dear forum folks,
    My trusty WinXP computer died this past weekend; I have been a loyal DVDFab user for several years. I purchased an HP Business Class PC to replace it: AMD Athlon II, 3 GB DDR3, 250 GB hard disk, and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit installed.

In the process of installing all of my software and setting up the system, I installed DVDFab 8073 and ran it successfully just to see if the screen came up. Later on, after installing much more software, I found that I could not run DVDFab successfully. The symptoms are that DVDFab would hang at high CPU and that Windows Error Reporting in the Event Logs would report Event 1001 (I have sent an email to DVDFab support using the online submission page on this).

I attempted to re-install DVDFab, but it similarly hangs. My main user has administrator rights and I also tried using properties to select 'run as administrator' on the shortcut, as well as other compatibility options. I have Avast installed as well, but disabled it at the first sign of trouble.

I check the DVDFab logs and there does not appear to be any interesting content in those files.

Any ideas? thanks and regards,
    Stephen

I have a feeling Avast is the culprit and if you remove from computer dvdfab will work. I not use Avast so not able to give more help with it but you may want to check the programs that was installed after you installed dvdfab to see which is causing problem if not Avast

Comment

I run avast on my XP SP3 system and avast has never caused any problems for me.
      Visualize Whirled Peas.

Comment

Originally posted by shorton View Post
        ... I purchased an HP Business Class PC to replace it: AMD Athlon II, 3 GB DDR3, 250 GB hard disk, and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit installed.

... DVDFab would hang at high CPU ...
        More likely a hardware problem... keep an eye on when the PC's return policy expires so that you could return and exchange it if necessary. Test by running several CPU and graphics intensive applications simultaneously, and see if problem can be replicated.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2011, 01:45 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary comments

Comment

I'm at a loss. I came home tonight and powered the computer expecting to troubleshoot intermittent faulty hardware; however, DVDFab works correctly now. Yesterday, I had powered down multiple times, etc. I guess it could be temperature related. I will post back if I make progress understanding what happened. regards,
          stephen

Comment

avast

I also use AVAST and have no problems with DVDFAB! XP SP3!

Comment

Folks,
              I have discovered more information on this problem. If I attempt to launch DVDFab soon after logging into Windows (7-64), then DVDFab fails to run and cannot be started after that. If I wait some time to allow start-up processes to finish, then I can run DVDFab normally. Has anyone else noticed this behavior? I can live with this now that I know, but still hopeful of good guidance.
              regards,
              Stephen

Comment

Working...
              X