This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honest advice ???

Give up this burning crap and buy yourself a WDTV or similar and all the problems go away !!!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      Honest advice ???

Give up this burning crap and buy yourself a WDTV or similar and all the problems go away !!!

I hear you brother, I have been considering it for a while but at the moment that means a huge change to my environment that I am not ready to dump funds into yet.
      Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k

Comment

Mate, I understand that they are only about a hundred bux in the US/Canada and, in the simplest installation, just attach USB drives/card readers with the content on them.

Or are ya gonna tell me you don't have any USB drives around?
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi GuarDian, I tested my copy of Monster Vs. Aliens and tried every known way of ripping/burning but couldn't reproduce any errors. So I'm stumped and just like Maineman said I don't have any issues with Fab (on the DVD side of the program as people are having issues with Blu-ray that are mixed including me so possible it's crept into the DVD side). I'm sort of leaning with what AGJ asked about your burner and wondering if it may be dying (I hope not). I know you're busy but will be waiting anxiously for your test with ImgBurn in a stand alone test.

(btw what I meant in post #2, my wifey was giving me the evil eye because of the time I spend on here lately and still is as I type this so I better go give her some needed attention)

Comment

Hey W&B...

Also tell him how good your WDTV is working also !!!

PS: Must keep wives happy !!! That's why I reckon I am far better off without one !!!
            Last edited by GregiBoy; 12-04-2009, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Mate, I understand that they are only about a hundred bux in the US/Canada and, in the simplest installation, just attach USB drives/card readers with the content on them.

Or are ya gonna tell me you don't have any USB drives around?
              No, I have a 100 bucks and a USB drive silly I meant that I am trying to save up to upgrade the TVs in the house (still old school OTA using new DTV boxes) I don't have much time for more. I was going to upgrade the TV, include an entertainment center, wire it or wireless to share between the whole house and then setup my repository of stuff and voila, we are all digital, that's the expensive part. In the meantime I am a stickler so I don't want to break routine until I have a plan to go to something else.

Originally posted by Wild and Blue View Post
              Hi GuarDian, I tested my copy of Monster Vs. Aliens and tried every known way of ripping/burning but couldn't reproduce any errors. So I'm stumped and just like Maineman said I don't have any issues with Fab (on the DVD side of the program as people are having issues with Blu-ray that are mixed including me so possible it's crept into the DVD side). I'm sort of leaning with what AGJ asked about your burner and wondering if it may be dying (I hope not). I know you're busy but will be waiting anxiously for your test with ImgBurn in a stand alone test.

(btw what I meant in post #2, my wifey was giving me the evil eye because of the time I spend on here lately and still is as I type this so I better go give her some needed attention)
              I thank you my friend. I tried using the stand alone to create an iso (as to try and avoid wasting a disc) and it came back with the same error, but did say something about fixing something, but it went by so quick and there wasn't much about it in the log, so I figured it was something benign, especially that it didn't work. I will try ripping it again I guess, the only thing I can do at the moment Just wish I knew what's up, you go take care of yourself and family, I will bang my head a bit more and see if I can figure this puppy out.

Comment

If you do it this way you have far better justification.

Put in the wdtv to your normal sets and once the family is convinced that it works great, resistance to upgrade TV's is a lot less. and you become more motivated to do it.

BTW: From bitter experience, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER consider wireless for streaming.

Comment

If you do it this way you have far better justification.

Put in the wdtv to your normal sets and once the family is convinced that it works great, resistance to upgrade TV's is a lot less. and you become more motivated to do it.

BTW: From bitter experience, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER consider wireless for streaming.
                  I will see how that fits into our lives, I might do it sooner than later. In the meantime I totally understand, and would not stream using wireless, too unstable, I have plans to hard wire the home or use the electrical wiring of the home to host the direct private connections using something similar to the Netgear system that is in play right now. I am not a huge fan of wireless for obvious reasons but my wife loves it and so since our network is SUPER DUPER secure, I don't mind and let it happen, she even wanted the TiVos connected and I bought the adapters to give her the quasi sharing that it provides but that's pretty much where I draw the line at home when it comes to wireless usage.

Comment

Another option that I took when I purchased my new TV.

The new Samsung 7,8 & 9 Series TV's have WiseLink Pro which enables you to play files either directly from an attached USB drive or from your network via a DNLA server. I use Twonky..

But I can't afford one of them in every room where I have a TV !!!

Comment

Also BTW:

I am pretty sure that TiVo's can stream/play H264 encoded files. Might be worth a little research here.

Comment

TiVo can do this with Series 3 or HD ones which are also series 3 not the series 2 that I have. I have the Humax 300+ hours (which shhh I upgraded to 1000 hours) in both the living room and the bedroom, they are fine for what they do but anything fancier and I need to have a plan to proceed.

Comment

I thought you could at least transfer files to the 2 series using the Tivo Desktop?

Comment

I thought you could at least transfer files to the 2 series using the Tivo Desktop?
                            Well yes of course you can, but the process is slow and very cumbersome. Plus the payoff is just not worth it. The media has to be encoded and then transferred in a format it will recognize and that's just a pain.

Comment

Working...
                            X