This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexplainable Issues w/Aliens in the Attic and Monsters v. Aliens

Hello everyone. I have been having an issue that makes no sense to me and I am wondering if you guys can take a stab at figuring out what's going on.

I am running the latest release version of DVDFab on Windows 7. I ripped the two movies just fine, no issues there. They play wonderfully straight from the drive, full length, no issues, nothing is wrong.

But then when I try to burn them, they keep wasting my discs saying the following (snippet of the ImgBurn log):

Code:
    16:49:10 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)
    16:49:15 Writing LeadIn...
    16:49:19 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 2288975)
    16:49:19 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 2288975)
    16:53:18 Waiting for buffers to recover... (LBA: 263936)
    17:40:36 Failed to read file: 'W:\ALIENS_IN_THE_ATTIC\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB'
    17:40:36 Reason: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
    17:40:36 Writing Sectors...
    17:40:36 Synchronising Cache...
    Every tool that I have run on the video files tells me its fine, FixVTS killed the copy on the drive and it won't play anymore, but the original rip works fine, so I don't know what to do anymore. Ideas please? Help?
    Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k

You don't have another program trying to access the drive at the same time do you GuarDian?

Edit: It was just a wild guess on my part and I better back out of here (kinda get the feelin I'm spreading myself to thick lately if you know what I mean lol)
    Last edited by W&B; 12-04-2009, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild and Blue View Post
      You don't have another program trying to access the drive at the same time do you GuarDian?

Edit: It was just a wild guess on my part and I better back out of here (kinda get the feelin I'm spreading myself to thick lately if you know what I mean lol)
      Not sure what you mean but I certainly appreciate you trying to help me. To answer your question, no sir, I do not have anyone else trying to access the drive. I have even checked the drive for corruption (unrelated but for the sake of the CRC error) and everything is fine, so not sure

Comment

how old is this drive

Comment

Is this a network drive on a NAS?
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

It's not you my friend...it's the software, but I'm simply repeating what you know.
            Far too many members are having problems with this version...6.0.2.5.
            It used to be that we saw this predominately with VSO, but we're seeing a fair amount of folks like yourself, using Img and still experiencing burn problems.

I'm running win 7 Pro 64-bit and if I recall you're running the same..or Ultimate...really the same os afaik.
            I'm experiencing nothing but smooth sailing...on all DVD to DVD modes, both SL & DL and any Mobile conversions that I've tried.

Are the same errors reproducible when Img is used as an outside application?
            Could you post the entire log for us?
            (I know you've looked, but you never know what another pair of eyes will see).

Strange that FixVTS killed the copy.
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
              how old is this drive
              About 18 months, give or take a few weeks.

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              Is this a network drive on a NAS?
              NO SIR, I would never do it straight to a NAS, although I have one. This is DAS.

Originally posted by maineman View Post
              It's not you my friend...it's the software, but I'm simply repeating what you know.
              Far too many members are having problems with this version...6.0.2.5.
              It used to be that we saw this predominately with VSO, but we're seeing a fair amount of folks like yourself, using Img and still experiencing burn problems.
              Ok, so I feel slightly better but still sad that I have to waste so many discs. I guess hazards of life.

I'm running win 7 Pro 64-bit and if I recall you're running the same..or Ultimate...really the same os afaik.
              I'm experiencing nothing but smooth sailing...on all DVD to DVD modes, both SL & DL and any Mobile conversions that I've tried.
              Windows 7 correct but I am on 32-bit Ultimate. I have not tried the DL straight rip, mine is always set to DVD-5 because its good enough for me and I don't see much difference and it doesn't justify the expense of the DL disks to burn through like this and waste. This software will have to be more bulletproof for a much longer time for me to trust my investment won't be wasted.

Are the same errors reproducible when Img is used as an outside application?
              Could you post the entire log for us?
              (I know you've looked, but you never know what another pair of eyes will see).

Strange that FixVTS killed the copy.
              I am sorry if I am being dense but by log you mean ImgBurn right? What I posted was the non-bs portion of the log that was relevant, what else do you need and I will get it for you, but would mean sacrificing another disc.

Yeah, 9/10 of the times FixVTS kills my copy, don't know why.

Comment

are you sure the drive is not dying on you since it is 18 months old

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                  are you sure the drive is not dying on you since it is 18 months old
                  Yessum, because I ran a hardware integrity check as I said before, just to be on the safe side and cover all the bases, and it came back fully healthy, nothing out of place. Are you thinking bad sector? Affecting both movies? Possible, yes of course but likelihood small since they were not ripped back to back to each other. But the drive check (not quick, but deep) came back with no bad sectors.

Comment

Nah, I know you looked over the burn log and included anything relevant.
                    I'm just fishing. Like I said, even someone with your expertise can not see something another pair of eyes might..if you know what I mean and I know you do.

Do you have an rw disc?...it should yield pretty much the same pertinent data.

I wouldn't bother wasting a DL...more predisposed to erros than an SL anyway and way too expensive to just "burn".

I was talking about using Img as a standalone burn utility.
                    Navigate to the Fab folder and you'll have to open Img in "build mode".
                    You won't have to re-rip the files, but Img will take a minute or two to format the files. Then Img will burn it.

I know this isn't a fix, but it should be ok for a temporary work-around...
                    I think you'll have to revert to a previous version and there's still no guarantee or wait for the next version.

Otherwise, it's roll up our sleeves and get crazy time and probably we still won't resolve this

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Nah, I know you looked over the burn log and included anything relevant.
                      I'm just fishing. Like I said, even someone with your expertise can not see something another pair of eyes might..if you know what I mean and I know you do.
                      Of course not, that's why I came to you guys, figured more heads are better than one. But of course I would be wasting everyone's time and my own if I hadn't already at least done my due diligence before asking.

Do you have an rw disc?...it should yield pretty much the same pertinent data.
                      A couple here and there but I was told they are not a reliable indicator. Am I wrong?

I wouldn't bother wasting a DL...more predisposed to erros than an SL anyway and way too expensive to just "burn".
                      Figured as much, glad I am not the only one. But once its more stable and inspires more confidence, then I will certainly do that with certain movies, but even then not with all.

You won't have to re-rip the files, but Img will take a minute or two to format the files. Then Img will burn it.
                      Oh oh, I get it, duh me. I didn't understand you meaning directly using IMG, no I have not done that, should I you think? I will give it a shot, worst comes to worse, it wastes another disc, I owe you guys to at least try.

I think you'll have to revert to a previous version and there's still no guarantee or wait for the next version.

Otherwise, it's roll up our sleeves and get crazy time and probably we still won't resolve this
                      Yeah well I will give the stand alone burn you reiterated for my dumb ass a try a first and then see what gives. Thanks guys for trying here, I just get frustrated eventually on my own banging my head against the wall wondering, what gives?

Will let you know how it goes and this time I will include the full log for you to see, cool?

Comment

This may be exactly why I haven't been seeing any errors or having problems. Since I purchased a WDTV I use Fab to rip full disc to a folder, then ImgBurn in build mode for my DVD5 backup. Fab again to rip main movie only from the original folder then convert that to a mobile format. I have some rw disc and will do some testing, if I can reproduce the error I'll post back. Running win7 64x ultimate here...

Comment

Originally posted by GµårÐïåñ View Post
                          A couple here and there but I was told they are not a reliable indicator. Am I wrong?
                          Right, less than ideal, but hopefully should still yield any pertinent info insofar as burn errors

Originally posted by Wild and Blue View Post
                          This may be exactly why I haven't been seeing any errors or having problems.I have some rw disc and will do some testing, if I can reproduce the error I'll post back. Running win7 64x ultimate here...

Could be. I'm not having any problems...period...using Img integrated and burning within Fab. I also use it as a standalone burn utility and I don't see any problems, but as you say, you shouldn't unless the files were damaged in some fashion.

Thanks W&B

Comment

You have already had lots of good help, but here are my suggestions and experiences anyway: if not already done, turn off delayed writes for the target hard drive. Set ImgBurn for a larger cache--I use 384 MB. I have had the same problem with FixVTS when I have it set to make a backup. Without that it runs OK. I have suspected but can't prove collisions and timing problems in the controller for the drive that FixVTS was trying to use. When this happens I sometimes get a "windows delayed write failed" error message relating to the file that was being written and to the MFT entry for that file. ImgBurn, when reading a file that has been worked on with PGCEdit or FixVTS, has trouble keeping the cache filled in Build mode and produces the same error you posted ("waiting for buffers..", not the CRC error) and the "waiting for hard drive activity threshold" message both of which could indicate timing or I/O control problems. I run Img in standalone mode using SPTI. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this. It seems to get worse for me if the target drive gets too full (<20GB free) or fragmented.

Originally posted by GµårÐïåñ View Post
                            Hello everyone. I have been having an issue that makes no sense to me and I am wondering if you guys can take a stab at figuring out what's going on.

I am running the latest release version of DVDFab on Windows 7. I ripped the two movies just fine, no issues there. They play wonderfully straight from the drive, full length, no issues, nothing is wrong.

But then when I try to burn them, they keep wasting my discs saying the following (snippet of the ImgBurn log):

Code:
                            16:49:10 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)
                            16:49:15 Writing LeadIn...
                            16:49:19 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 2288975)
                            16:49:19 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 2288975)
                            16:53:18 Waiting for buffers to recover... (LBA: 263936)
                            17:40:36 Failed to read file: 'W:\ALIENS_IN_THE_ATTIC\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB'
                            17:40:36 Reason: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
                            17:40:36 Writing Sectors...
                            17:40:36 Synchronising Cache...
                            Every tool that I have run on the video files tells me its fine, FixVTS killed the copy on the drive and it won't play anymore, but the original rip works fine, so I don't know what to do anymore. Ideas please? Help?
                            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the help. Let me play with all the suggestions one at a time so I don't miss anything and I will let you know. Give me a day though, I am at work and won't be home till much later. So I will post when I have a chance to test it, for most of you on the other side of the time zone, that will seem like forever but I am on it, I promise.

Comment

Working...
                              X