This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by technoid View Post
    Yup, took about 4-5 hours. It's a speed record!
    I'm guessing you're still not considering tossing in the towel on 98?...
    I kinda can't blame you, I did like 98, but good heavens man.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
      I'm guessing you're still not considering tossing in the towel on 98?...
      I kinda can't blame you, I did like 98, but good heavens man.
      Well no, not tossing in the towel. I have Windows XP/ME/3.1x/98SE/98ME/95OSR2.x (and MS-DOSes of course). I use them all for certain purposes as well as for my own enjoyment (eventually I'll also get to installing some xBSD O/S variant when I have more free time). I never did install Win2k since it came out, but pretty soon too (a friend is giving away her 2k CD to me for free). Let's see if DVDFab 6.x runs on 2k, but I'm sure it will.

I run DVDFab 6.0.7.0 just fine on XP. I was just hoping that version 6.x would also run [stable] on 98SE/98ME/ME, because the product requirements originally said so whether or not it was accurate (now we know it was inaccurate, heh). That is what caught my eye. But now since the authors/webmasters of DVDFab caught my topic, they have now changed it. It looks like they don't want to support 98SE on version 6.x when they supported it on version 5.x. I don't know why, perhaps there are code changes in 6.x that keeps them from supporting non-NT Windows. That is why I came here, to confirm if they still support 98SE, because I discovered DVDFab 6.x was very unstable on it. It will install, but once you get to the main screen, everything goes weird, and you'd have to reboot. Again, it seems to be a memory leak at the very least. There is a certain 98SE Kernel patch that make some NT-only programs work on 98SE. I've read that you can now run such things as Doom3 and Firefox3, et al, on 98SE, but I tried that with DVDFab 6.x and it didn't work (almost worked).

So now it looks like I've completed my mission and have made DVDFab (dot com) show the correct system requirements. I can still use version 5.x on 98SE though. It's better than no DVDFab at all, but it means that's the end of the road for features and debugs.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm leaving the forum, I'll probably drop in if I have issues with DVDFab on my XP (and Win7 once that happens). Yes, I skipping over Vista, heh.

Comment

Originally posted by technoid View Post
        ..Of course, that doesn't mean I'm leaving the forum, I'll probably drop in if I have issues with DVDFab on my XP (and Win7 once that happens). Yes, I skipping over Vista, heh.
        That's good news. Please don't be a stranger.
        We all benefit from putting more heads together on this stuff.

I skipped Vista too. Still using XP Pro SP3 and loving it, but I have gathered all my stuff for a new core i7 build with the exception of my Win 7 Pro OS which should be here on or around 10/22...fingers X'd.

I've run Fab on Windows 7 Beta and RC and had no problems...really like the OS too.

Catch you around.
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
        X