This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing up PS2 discs?

I have made several attempts to backup PS2 discs but without any luck. DVDFab is supposed to be able to do this with the clone facility but so far I haven't managed it. The Play Station requests a Play Station 2 Format disc. Any suggestions please? I am writing to DVD + R format: is this correct?

Ward1941uk

You also have to use a mod chip for your PS2, I have no idea where to get one of those or how to perform such a modification.

Comment

It does not....

"DVDFab will neither copy nor remove copy protection from software BD/ DVD's/CD's, games BD/DVD's/CD's nor music BD/DVD's/CD's."

"It is designed for copying, copy protection removal & encoding of BD/DVD video/movies only."

Please thoroughly read this thread...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Clone: Make perfect 1:1 bit-to-bit copy of DVDs:
        • Make perfect dual layer DVD copy by using the original layer break position.
        • Copy data DVD disc, like PS2 DVD.
        In that case the product description page needs updating.

Comment

Yes it does...
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I thought I remembered doing this, so I just did one. Disable PathPlayer and select "Clone" it will analyze the disc and tell you it is a data disk and ask you if you want to clone it. Answer yes and away you go. W&B is correct however it will not copy the boot sector, nothing I know of will so without the mod chip or the swap disk you'll get the message you're getting and it won’t play. I use the swap disk method and the clone I just made 15 minutes ago works great!
            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
              I thought I remembered doing this, so I just did one. Disable PathPlayer and select "Clone" it will analyze the disc and tell you it is a data disk and ask you if you want to clone it. Answer yes and away you go. W&B is correct however it will not copy the boot sector, nothing I know of will so. Without the mod chip or the swap disk you'll get the message you're getting and it won’t play. I use the swap disk method and the clone I just made 15 minutes ago works great!
              Gregiboy is correct too insofar as there is no protection on the PS2 disk to remove like on a computer game. The boot sector that will not copy is the only protection the PS2 uses so it clones.

Albert Einstein

Comment

DVDFab clone mode can do PS2 discs but the PS2 needs to be modded to play those burned games otherwise you will get the message that the OP said they got.

Comment

Thanks for your prompt replies: my intention was to make backup discs to protect the originals from being thrown all over the bedroom floor, but clearly that's not possible.

Many thanks
                  Ward1941uk

Comment

Sure it is possible. I’m not inclined to solder hair thin wires to surface mount joints, so I went with swap magic. It comes with a top for the console that will not reset when lifted and two boot disks – one for CD based games and one for DVD. Google up swap magic V3.6.

Albert Einstein

Comment

google PS2 mod chips and you'll find tons of info. Ended up purchasing a pre modded PS2. There are sites that will mod the PS2 for you and even by now, there might be "clip on" chips available. (mine was done a long time ago.)

Comment

One last thing ward1941uk, if you go shopping on the net for a mod chip you might run across advertisements for software that can copy your game disk and run without a mod, these are scams! I have attached a picture of my boot disk and you can see the unwritten portions on the disk, the PS2 checks for these during the boot. The DVD burners we have in our computers can't do this. And no software can make it do it, at least not yet and likely never will. The mod chip that is soldered in the console bypasses this part of the boot sequence. So don't waste your money on software, you already have as good as it gets.
                        Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Just use an older fat PS2 with a flip-top lid and the swap disks . . . you can also get a network adapter and move the games to a Maxtor hard drive and use HD Loader to run the games straight from the drive.

Comment

Working...
                          X