Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For each new pack of disc I open I put the first one in and have Imgburn discover it.
    Just to make sure it keeps up to date.That way it is set until I open the next pack.

Removal of new protections may not be available yet in the free version of DVDFab (HD Decrypter)

Help Us Help You :

Troy's excellent tutorial on Setting up ImgBurn with DVDFab :

I use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim media mainly.
    Trying Falcon D/L media

I use ImgBurn as my main burning engine

Free Media Player VLC

Comment

Even if you change to SPTI interface, your burner is still burning in PIO mode and that will cause problem. You need to change this to DMA mode. If the usual resetting to DMA method in Common Settings doesn't work, search in Microsoft Knowledge base for how to reset with Vista Home and whether your burner is using IDE or SATA controller. Most likely uninstalling the controller and reboot will solve the problem.

Also, it always helps to use quality media like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. They cost a little more but save you the headache and time. Crap media is a hit or miss, especially Memorex.

Comment

As toaddub said, you're still in PIO mode and despite fixing other stuff, this remains a huge problem.
        As he said, you need to fix this.

Again my apologies as I'm still at work and I missed that the Reset DMA did not "stick".
        It often works, but occasionally fails.

Here is the article and fix that I wanted to post earlier.

It does a good job of explaining DMA mode and the problems associated with it as CRC errors are encountered by windows.

Near the top of the article, click on
        1. Click here.
        Run the VBS Script file.

I also highly recommend reading the article.
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Just plain wierd!!

Just as the title says, this is wierd! I got it up and running, updated to 6.0.7.0 and everything, got the ImgBurn downloaded, and then went to make a copy of a disk. It wouldn't work. It didn't even go as far as it went earlier, the original was rejected. I then restarted everything, took another disk, and it went through just perfectly. Then, two more with no problems, then another glitch and this one wouldn't work either. I took each on of the ones that wouldn't work in the Dell Laptop and ran them through my IBM desktop, running DVDFab5 and they went through perfectly!! Meanwhile, I've had a couple of others go through the Dell and came through in good shape. I guess it must have a bug, but it doesn't "bite" every time.

Thanks to all of you who have tried to help me. I really appreciate it. I tried CloneDVD several months ago and it worked okay, but I had a problem and they didn't have something like this for support. This is something great! Even though it doesn't seem to clear all of the "quirks" up, it may be in my Dell, not DVDFab. I know one thing, I will stick with DVDFab as long as I have a place like this where someone is trying to help me.

Have a great day!

Comment

You mentioned the first few times everything was ok then it started messing up. Did you back up alot of dvd's at once? if so those lappy's and slimline drives produce lots of heat and at this point I would have to say its either the drive failing. Most suggest getting a usb type o.d. if you do lots of video work. just a thought.
            Last edited by W&B; 09-19-2009, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarMac2768 View Post
              I bought a new Dell laptop
              and there it is staring us all right in the face.

Slimetype drive, i would never recommend anyone to use one. if you must, then only use Verbatim DVD-R 8x or 16x media.

good catch Wild and Blue.

Comment

Originally posted by troy512 View Post
                and there it is staring us all right in the face.

Slimetype drive, i would never recommend anyone to use one. if you must, then only use Verbatim DVD-R 8x or 16x media.

good catch Wild and Blue.
                HMMMMM . . . . I don't have that much experience with that type of drive, but I'll look around for an external one to see if that may work.

I did a few more before being done with them and shutting it down. I only had it mess up once and it worked about 10 times. Hopefully it will do better.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by wALDO View Post
                  I had a batch of bad DVD's in which more than half failed in the burn process... Could be a DVD compatibility issue.
                  Originally posted by maineman View Post
                  Your choice of blank media (crappy to ok depending on the MID) is not ideal.
                  Originally posted by toaddub View Post
                  ...Also, it always helps to use quality media like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. They cost a little more but save you the headache and time. Crap media is a hit or miss, especially Memorex.
                  And to quote bean55's sig:
                  "I use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim media only."

Everyone has given you solid advice and while you have other critical issues like PIO/DMA modes, there are good reasons why we constantly drive home the point about using only quality media.
                  The most frequent cause of burn errors is poor/marginal quality media (includes poorly compatible media).
                  We can't stress using quality media enough.

Many brands use multiple manufacturers and vary widely in quality and consistency...as wALDO mentioned...even within the same spindle.
                  Moreover, with crappy media, you might be surprised to find that a few months or so down the road, even "good" burns aren't so good. As toaddub said, it'll save on headaches, time and $ too in the long run.
                  If you look for sales, you can get quality media for just about what you'd pay for crap much of the time.

Do yourself a huge favor and pick up some Taiyo Yuden, available only online for most of the planet and/or Verbatim, found in many brick & mortar stores in the US, UK, etc...
                  If you need retailers, tell us where you live and we can help.
                  Last edited by maineman; 09-19-2009, 05:38 AM.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

@ W&B
                    Agree, nice catch on the slimline

Comment

Media

Thanks Maineman,

I did notice how that you guys are sold on Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. I have used Verbatim before, but not the other. However, I have seen it on Ebay for a comparable price with the others.

I guess my affinity for Memorex or Maxell goes back to the old VCR tapes and even audio cassettes. Those, along with Sony, were premium ones that you could readily lay your hands on. I've had good luck with Memorex and have some that are a few years old that I recorded with a DVD Recorder from TV and they still work good. Plus, I've worked on, for the last couple of years, transferring my VHS home videos to DVD and archiving them. Hopefully, they will hold up okay.

Why the affinity for those two particular brands? Experience or something else (magazine recommendation or ??)?

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

experience

Comment

Personally I've had more coasters with the first 2-50 pack spindles of Memorex DVD+r than the last 3-100 pack spindles of Verbatim DVD+r. Take Troy512 and Maineman's advice they won't steer you wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by troy512 View Post
                            experience
                            Same here

I can also add cost, If you do it right the first time you don't waste money doing it again.

Removal of new protections may not be available yet in the free version of DVDFab (HD Decrypter)

Help Us Help You :

Troy's excellent tutorial on Setting up ImgBurn with DVDFab :

I use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim media mainly.
                            Trying Falcon D/L media

I use ImgBurn as my main burning engine

Free Media Player VLC

Comment

And time wasted. Which is a cost that most of us never figure in.
                              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks a lot! I just won a bid on the Taiyo disks for 28 bucks for a hundred disks. I like the printable ones, so that seems like a good deal. With shipping, $34. I'll give them a shot!

I appreciate all of the advice!

Comment

Working...
                                X