Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@GregiBoy, Maineman and AGJ: thanks for you help so far. I am about to lose my mind though :-)

To answer your questions: I run Vista 32bit, I have so far experienced the same problem with all DVDs and no, I have not ripped a DVD with a different program on this laptop. I have in the past noticed very slow speed on especially my hard drive (since I have not used the dvd drive much) and now I am noticing a slow speed on my DVD drive too. I have spent hours looking into the DMA thing as this seems to be the most logical explanation for me. I have googled lots and read a lot on this forum. I have treid reset DMA, looked for channels in my device manager as well as used the regedit command solution: nothing. What I have found out is that I have an Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller and therefore no IDE channels which in return means I have not found a way to anywhere check or change my mode to DMA. I have found other users posting about the same issue but never found an answer for this.

I guess my question is if it possible to adjust the DMA mode when using an AHCI Controller? If so, I just need to find out where and how. :-( I also read something about checking the settings in the BIOS, but when entering the BIOS I don't know how to get to where I should check. I am a bit embarrassed but then again the Internet is all I have as far as knowledge resources go.

Looking forward to any suggestions!

Egoli

Comment

Jeepers, creepers...this could get dicey.

For starters, slimline burners (lappie burners) are problematic....poor performers for video archiving, expensive and subject to other issues such as excessive heat exposure, etc., etc.
      I'm in no way criticizing you, it's just what comes in lappies.

The easiest way out of this is to go with an external burner (or an internal burner in an external enclosure).
      This will connect via usb and thus avoid the whole AHCI controller issue since the burner will be "controlled" via the usb controller.

I have no idea what this would cost you (I peeked and looked at your locale), but in the U.S. probably about $50-60 for either set up I mentioned.

Like you, I've noticed that AHCI drivers cause problems for many users, but not others. Myself, I built a new win7, 64-bit rig and had nothing but problems trying to load the AHCI drivers. In disgust, I finally went IDE and my rig screams along with 4 hdds and 4 burners and no problems at all.

I'm very hesitant to recommend bios changes to folks since this could make a bad situation worse. However, you could try the following and if it doesn't work, just revert to the original settings.

Restart your system and as it powers up, press the delete key repeatedly and you should enter your bios (Set Up)
      Sometimes it's the F2 key and both may work...you'll just have to try.

Once in the bios, you should see Advanced along the top.
      Enter Advanced > IDE Config
      SATA I (or SATA II) select Enhanced

Below this, you should see
      Configure SATA I (or SATA II)
      and your choices are : IDE; RAID; AHCI
      Select IDE

Save and exit, windows will start.
      Now there's a chance your hdd may not operate correctly.
      If you have problems, just restart and enter your bios and revert to your original settings. (You can enter the bios even if your os does not boot properly).
      There is also a load bios default key...probably F9.

You might also have success in updating your bios (other users have done this to resolve this issue), but I do not recommend this unless you're comfortable as you could render your rig inoperable.

If you could post some info on your laptop, it will help us out.
      Here are two, free, very useful utilities.

Belarc's products automatically create an accurate and up-to-date central repository (CMDB), consisting of detailed software, hardware, network and security configurations. Customers use our products for software license management, IT asset management, cybersecurity audits, information assurance, and more.

If you use this one, please delete any license, serial #'s prior to posting.
      The info will pop up in your web browser, but it's safe...nothing is sent out.

THIS SOFTWARE IS NO LONGER MAINTAINED.PC-Wizard is an utility designed to analyze and benchmark your computer system. CPU and memory subsystem (caches, RAM ...). Graphics and video. Hard disks, CD/DVD, Removable/FLASH medias.

This one has lots of features such as benchmarking.
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by Egoli View Post
        I am also realising this post is now in the wrong folder and should probably be in the DVD to DVD folder but I don't want to double-post.
        Good idea. I'll move it. You're likely to receive more help there...

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks for the response and yes, I agree that an external drive is better for many reasons but given I don't use it that often I do feel that my built-in drive should be able to handle the occasional task. Especially because it is not a total low-end laptop. I am not the kind of person who has tons of movies that I need to back up. I guess I could just keep the original DVD and buy a region free, PAL/NTSC multi-power DVD player, but that would be admitting that something isn't working that really should be working. Ripping a DVD is not an overly fancy task :-)

I will not change anything in the BIOS yet but first send my laptop info which the Belarc program spit out (see below). Is there anything else I should do, such as run a certain benchmark test? (Sorry, part of it is in German even though I set the program language to English.)

Operating System System Model
          Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
          Install Language: Deutsch (Deutschland)
          System Locale: Englisch (USA) Sony Corporation VGN-SR21M_S 75
          Enclosure Type: Notebook
          Processor a Main Circuit Board b
          2,27 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo P8400
          64 kilobyte primary memory cache
          3072 kilobyte secondary memory cache
          64-bit ready
          Multi-core (2 total)
          Not hyper-threaded Board: Sony Corporation VAIO
          Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
          BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. R1110Y1 08/14/2008
          Drives Memory Modules c,d
          308,07 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
          107,03 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ862AS [CD-ROM drive]

Ricoh Memory Stick Disk Device -- drive 2
          Ricoh SD/MMC Disk Device -- drive 1
          TOSHIBA MK3252GSX [Hard drive] (320,07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 9 J8FKI7SN, SMART Status: Healthy 3040 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'SODIMM1' has 2048 MB
          Slot 'SODIMM2' has 2048 MB
          Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 308,07 GB 107,03 GB free
          Network Drives
          None detected

Adobe PDF Converter on Desktop\*.pdf
          Canon iP1800 series on USB001
          Kyocera Mita KM-2050 KX on 192.168.1.100
          Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
          Controllers Display
          Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
          Ricoh Memory Stick Host Controller
          Ricoh SD Bus Host Adapter [Controller] ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 [Display adapter]
          PnP-Monitor (Standard) (19,7"vis)
          Bus Adapters Multimedia
          Microsoft iSCSI-Initiator
          Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934
          Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935
          Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936
          Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937
          Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938
          Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939
          Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A
          Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C ATI HDMI Audio
          Bluetooth-Audio
          Realtek High Definition Audio
          Virus Protection [Back to Top] new Group Policies
          avast! antivirus 4.8.1296 [VPS 081226-0] Version 4.8.1296
          Virus Definitions Version Up To Date
          Realtime File Scanning On

None discovered
          Communications Other Devices
          HDAUDIO SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

6TO4 Adapter
          Anchorfree HSS Adapter
          Dhcp Server: none responded
          Bluetooth-Gerät (PAN)
          Auto IP Address: 169.254.55.218 / 32
          Bluetooth-Gerät (RFCOMM-Protokoll-TDI)
          Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5100
          primary
          Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
          Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
          TAP VPN Adapter
          Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Networking Dns Server:
          RICOH OHCI-konformer IEEE 1394-Hostcontroller
          Microsoft ACPI-konforme Kontrollmethodenbatterie
          Microsoft-Netzteil
          ALPS-UGPZ9-BCM2046
          Microsoft Bluetooth-Auflistung
          Bluetooth L2CAP Interface
          Bluetooth Remote Control
          Bluetooth-HID-Gerät
          HID-konformes Benutzersteuergerät (3x)
          Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device
          Sony Visual Communication Camera
          Standardtastatur (PS/2) [Keyboard]
          HID-konforme Maus [Mouse]
          Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad [Mouse]
          USB-Root-Hub (8x)
          USB-Verbundgerät
          Standard-Volumeschattenkopie
          R5C592
          R5C822

Comment

Hi again Egoli,

I appreciate all the info you posted.
            I attempted to get a look at your motherboard, but I can't seem to navigate the Sony site and get anything in English that helps me.

If you just make the IDE change I mentioned above, you should be ok. Like I said, you can always change it back.
            I think this is a reasonable troubleshooting step and is pretty easily accomplished.
            I just have serious reservations about recommending flashing your bios as this may not be so easily "fixed" if it doesn't work.

I understand completely your thoughts re: an external burner.
            And not to beat a dead horse, but Matshita drives are crappy (and seem to be installed in tons of laptops).
            Fengtao calls them matSHITa drives for this very reason

Comment

Hi Maineman,

I wanted to change the settings in the BIOS, but just like when I looked in there this morning, I couldn't figure out where to change anything. Turns out I don't have the Advanced tab in my BIOS, just Main, Security, Boot and Exit.

I must be cursed :-) Any idea why it's not there and what I can do instead?

Egoli

Comment

Yup, I suspect voodoo is at work here.
                Too bad your bios is limited, unless you need a password to enter in the Security menu to give you more options, but I doubt that's it.
                Bummer!

Any chance that you have access to free, live support from sony?...
                either online or via telephone?

I know there's a bug with this laptop/burner, AHCI drivers and Linux.
                I didn't see much else out there though...nothing specifically with windows
                It sure doesn't help that I am very monolingual...

Your burner obviously is not performing adequately.
                Is this laptop still within its warranty period?

I didn't see your motherboard listed...did I miss it?

Comment

True, I also can't see the motherboard info on the Belarc Advisor results page. I googled my laptop specs and it says I have the following:

Motherboard
                  Chipset Intel PM45 Express
                  Bus Speed 1066 MHz

I am not sure it's still under warranty, I'll have to check tomorrow. What trying to make a teeny tiny copy of a DVD can turn into... Doesn't help either that most internet resources are in English, my laptop is in German and I currently live in a country where I don't speak or understand the language. Triple sigh.

I am very frustrated though with my 'fancy' Sony Vaio, that much I can say. One more question: I mentioned before that making backups onto say an external drive takes v-e-r-y long and now I am also having these issues with the DVD drive. I think I read somewhere that those two problems could possibly have the same source (e.g. DMA hick ups?). Do you think so too?

Thanks for your help :-)

Egoli

Comment

Another suggestion is to download "VSO Inspector" and run it with one of the problem DVD's in the drive.

It may help with some further information to work with.

I really do suspect something is not right with this system !!!

I know it is a simple task that should be easy to achieve and understand your frustration.

That said, I would suggest that my colleagues would agree with me when I say that 80% of problems that we see here are on laptops and also the MatSHITa drives are a continual source of problems.
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

How are your external drives connected? USB?

If so, that then wouldn't be a DMA problem.
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Yes, I'm confused.
                        I don't recall you ripping with an external drive...or do you mean ripping to an external "flash drive"?

GregiBoy is spot on as usual.
                        DMA is not an issue with usb connected drives.

Comment

Sorry if I confused you - I did not use an external drive when trying to rip the DVDs, only internal DVD drive to internal hard drive. But now that we've been talking about DMA/slowness issues I remembered that I have previously experienced my laptop being slow when trying to move (backup) general files to my external drive, connected via USB. But if you say it cannot be related I guess that makes 2 problems now :-(

It must be frustrating for you that 80% of issues are caused by users' own hardware. I really apprecaite your help though, this has been the best forum I've ever used. You guys are nice, knowledgeable and respond amazingly fast. Hats off!

One other thing: AGJ mentioned that NTSC DVDs maybe cannot be played on European (PAL) PS3s. I have a US DVD here that says on the cover it's region free (ALL) and NTSC. It plays in my laptop so it must indeed be region free and it also plays on my PS3, meaning that European PS3s apparently can play both NTSC and PAL. I think I read this somewhere too, but when googling for it now it I can't find it anymore - always says European PS3 PAL only. In any case, just an FYI...

What a waste of my weekend, and your time too. I am just left feeling upset. I don't get all these different standards, codes, outputs anyway (granted, in the end this turned out not to be an issue of different standards). Just moved from Africa back to Europe recently and probably moving to the US soon - preparing myself for lots more of this incompatibility nonsense.

@GregiBoy: I will run VSO Inspector again. I tried it yesterday and never finished ... it was too slow. Should have been an indication, shouldn't it?

Good night Gentlemen,

Egoli

Comment

Yeah, if VSO Inspector doesn't finish, it would certainly suggest to me that there is something not right with your hardware and this will have to be identified & fixed before you will be able to proceed any further.

Comment

Originally posted by Egoli View Post
                              , You guys are nice, knowledgeable and respond amazingly fast.!
                              Egoli
                              Your forgot to mention.......... Handsome.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
                                Your forgot to mention.......... Handsome.
                                Hahaha...speak for yourself there, "handsome"!
                                Although for 60...I'm told I'm "not bad"...

Comment

Working...
                                X