This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by So Someday View Post
    ... The problem is that when I boot dvdfab it won't register the external drive unless I unplug the usb from the computer wait a second then plug it back in.

... acts like it is loading the info then crashes. ...
    ... it just tries to load and crashes.

Before DVDFab is started, do Windows Explorer and Device Manager properly recognize the external drive? If so, can DVDs (e.g., Surrogates) be played correctly from that external drive? Does Auto-Play start upon placing the DVD into the external drive?

Please provide more info on the exact symptoms and behaviors of the "crashes." Does DVDFab terminate and program closes? Or does DVDFab seems hung? Or do you get a BSOD? Or does the laptop reboot? More detailed description would help.

Comment

The drive is both recognized and can play media (dvd's and cd's) from it using any of the usb cables I run it with. I reinstalled 6.1.2.5 to test it again and see if perhaps something changed in my hardware between the upgrade and 6.1.2.5 works with the drive. I then uninstalled 6.1.2.5 and reinstalled 6.2.2.0 beta and same problem exists.

In regards to the crash:
      If the disc is already in the external drive when I open dvdfab it will now give the loading bar as though trying to open the information, then it simply shuts down. There are no crash logs, no hang ups, it just starts the progress bar and then vanishes.

If the disc is not in the external drive when I open dvdfab it will open the program and remain open and stable. Once I insert the disc the same type of problem occurs. It spends a moment before the progress bar appears and then the program shuts down. There are no crash logs, no hang ups, it just starts the progress bar and then vanishes.

I have also tested several other dvd ripping programs with the drive to check hardware and it works with several others so I really feel it is narrowing down to a code issue with 6.2.2.0 beta.

Comment

Except for the fact you are the only one with the problem. Have you tried a clean uninstall including running CCleaner or something like it to remove orphans, downloading a fresh installer? A corrupt install maybe but the code is fine.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

So Someday you say
          I have also tested several other dvd ripping programs with the drive to check hardware and it works with several others
          are you sure that another program does not have control of the drive?
          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Except for the fact you are the only one with the problem. Have you tried a clean uninstall including running CCleaner or something like it to remove orphans, downloading a fresh installer?
            The install has been installed 3 times with one download of the version, and twice with a fresh download. I do not believe a corrupt install is at fault as I can use the internal drive with 6.2.2.0 beta, just very slowly (yes it's a solution to a non-working external but by this point I really want to solve why the external will not work.) Each install was uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller to search for all left over data and eliminate it cleanly. I'm very confident that it was a full and clean uninstall of the program.

I'm certain the drive is not under control of any other software.

I will be installing 6.2.2.0 beta tonight on both another laptop and a desktop. I will report what the results are using the external drive with details on both machines after the event.

Any other suggestions or theories as to why it would crash with an external drive?

Comment

So Someday do you have ImgBurn installed? If not install it http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download. If so open it up go to tools / filter driver load order and post back what you see.
              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Sorry if this is a duplicate question. I too run an external drive of a laptop for ripping only. Have you checked online to see if there is a firmware update for the drive. I had the same issue when I first started using an external drive and fab.

Comment

Below are the two image burn data from the two separate computers I've tested the external drive with. Both computers were using Dvdfab 6.2.2.0 beta and the same problem that I mentioned previously occurred on both computers.

DELL INSPIRON 1501 WINDOWS XP PRO SP3
                  ===============================================
                  Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.0.0

Upper Device Filter: redbook
                  Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
                  Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
                  Lower Class Filter: ElbyCDFL
                  Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook
                  File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
                  File Version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
                  File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
                  Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
                  Product Version: 5.1.2600.5512
                  Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
                  Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name: GEARAspiWDM
                  File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\GEARAspiWDM.sys
                  File Version: 2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]
                  File Description: CD DVD Filter
                  Product Name: CD DVD Filter
                  Product Version: 2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]
                  Company Name: GEAR Software Inc.
                  Copyright: Copyright (C) GEAR Software Inc. 1997-2009

Filter Name: ElbyCDFL
                  File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\ElbyCDFL.sys
                  File Version: 5, 2, 1, 3 [5.2.1.3]
                  File Description: ElbyCDIO Filter Driver
                  Product Name: CloneCD
                  Product Version: 5, 2, 1, 3 [5.2.1.3]
                  Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.
                  Copyright: Copyright (C) 2003 - 2006 SlySoft, Inc.

Filter Name: imapi
                  File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
                  File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver

TOSHIBA SATELLITE WINDOWS XP PRO SP3
                  Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.0.0

Upper Device Filter: redbook
                  Upper Class Filter: [None Found]
                  Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
                  Lower Class Filter: ElbyCDFL
                  Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD
                  Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook
                  File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
                  File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver

Filter Name: ElbyCDFL
                  File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\ElbyCDFL.sys
                  File Version: 5, 2, 1, 3 [5.2.1.3]
                  File Description: ElbyCDIO Filter Driver
                  Product Name: CloneCD
                  Product Version: 5, 2, 1, 3 [5.2.1.3]
                  Copyright: Copyright (C) 2003 - 2006 SlySoft, Inc.

Filter Name: AnyDVD
                  File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
                  File Version: 6.6.0.9
                  File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
                  Product Name: AnyDVD
                  Product Version: 6.6.0.9
                  Copyright: Copyright 2002 - 2009 SlySoft, Inc.

Filter Name: imapi
                  File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
                  File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver

Comment

nothing wrong with those filters of yours

Comment

If the disc is not in the external drive when I open dvdfab it will open the program and remain open and stable. Once I insert the disc the same type of problem occurs. It spends a moment before the progress bar appears and then the program shuts down. There are no crash logs, no hang ups, it just starts the progress bar and then vanishes.

This is puzzling... did you tried ripvanwinkle1819's suggestion to check for drive firmware update?

Let's also try starting DVDFab without any disc in the external drive and opening up the Common Settings window. Goto 'DVD / Blu-ray' and select the 'Read' settings. Try testing with the 'Enable read-ahead cache' option unchecked. If no difference, then try testing with the 'Ignore all reading errors automatically' option selected. Also, if no difference again, then try testing with toggling of the PathPlayer setting between 'Always Enabled' and 'Disabled'.
                      Last edited by tli; 02-22-2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

There is custom firmware on the drive. I'll try loading on its default firmware and try that. I never tested it because it worked in the past but not now, it's worth checking though I suppose. I'll try the firmware change and report back.

I'll also try your recommendations TLI and report back what the findings are.

Comment

Originally posted by tli View Post
                          This is puzzling... did you tried ripvanwinkle1819's suggestion to check for drive firmware update?

Let's also try starting DVDFab without any disc in the external drive and opening up the Common Settings window. Goto 'DVD / Blu-ray' and select the 'Read' settings. Try testing with the 'Enable read-ahead cache' option unchecked. If no difference, then try testing with the 'Ignore all reading errors automatically' option selected. Also, if no difference again, then try testing with toggling of the PathPlayer setting between 'Always Enabled' and 'Disabled'.
                          I updated the dvdroms firmware to the most current fw still crashed.
                          I tested every option recommended here and they all had the same outcome.

Any more theories?

Comment

well not really a theory, but was curious to know. Your external drive is obviously connected through a usb plug. usb 1.1? 2? also do you connect any other device to the same usb port. i.e when you start up is there any programs running in the background, that is for a device that is plugged into that port? camera? picture editting? something of this nature?

Comment

another thing too. sorry to double post. have you tried a different external drive plugged into your set up. Can you borrow a buddies just to test. your autodetect would find it and so should fab.

Comment

It's usb 2.0 case-port, cable, and computer-port. I might be able to scrounge up another drive but not in the immediate future. There are no programs that SHOULD cause conflict in the background, but since I don't know why this isn't working I suppose anything is possible. Does it not seem strange to anyone besides myself that it use to work with earlier versions of dvdfab but now with the current edition and the current beta it stopped working?

Comment

Working...
                                X