X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two issues with Paranormal Activity...

Hi all,

I have the latest evaluation version of DVDFab's "DVD to DVD".

1. I've no problem with backing up any of my DVDs, except for this one. It gets to around 30%, then reports a read error. I'm not sure what the best settings are to attempt to fix this issue. One thing to keep in mind is that I don't want to backup a copy if it's going to have to skip data in order to get past the read errors

2. When analyzing the DVD, which is actually just over 5 Gigs, the application incorrectly detects/displays an absurd size... something like around 50 Gigs

I'm new to the DVDFab forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate place.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

- J. S.

Read errors usually are because of a bad disc. Try cleaning the disc thoroughly and see if that helps. There also could be a scratch where it keeps getting the read error.

Comment

I cleaned the disc thoroughly and carefully looked it over. There's no scratches, fingerprints or damage at all. I tried copying again, but received the same results.

Comment

Originally posted by takearushfan View Post
        Hi all,

I have the latest evaluation version of DVDFab's "DVD to DVD".

1. I've no problem with backing up any of my DVDs, except for this one. It gets to around 30%, then reports a read error. I'm not sure what the best settings are to attempt to fix this issue. One thing to keep in mind is that I don't want to backup a copy if it's going to have to skip data in order to get past the read errors

2. When analyzing the DVD, which is actually just over 5 Gigs, the application incorrectly detects/displays an absurd size... something like around 50 Gigs
        Make sure pathplayer is "always enabled" in common settings, if you still get read errors then replace the original disc.

Comment

Chances are good that you have a bad disc given the comments so far.
          Fab will rip this flick no problem.
          Please run through the list in my thread:
          Tips on Troubleshooting Analyzing/Ripping dvds

Like W&B, I think you're looking at #6...exchange the disc.

Good luck and let us know
          Last edited by maineman; 06-13-2010, 01:15 PM.
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Has anyone confirmed that this DVD has been copied successfully with DVDFab (DVD to DVD) in full disc mode? If so, then I'll exchange for a new disc, but if not then I guess I'll keep tinkering with the settings to see if anything else helps. Though, the general gist is that I shouldn't have any trouble backing up this DVD the way I'd like to?

Comment

The movie has been copied many times with no problem..

Download Nero CD/DVD speed V4.7.7.16 and check the disc for errors.

世界中のあらゆる情報を検索するためのツールを提供しています。さまざまな検索機能を活用して、お探しの情報を見つけてください。

Comment

Well, attached is the (*cough*)wonderful(*cough*) image result from Nero's CD/DVD speed test. My jaw dropped as I viewed the scanning progress.

So DVD Shrink, Smartripper, Windows, DVDFab, Nero and even my own DVD playing software all screw up at some point. I'm not even going to bother trying it in my standalone player. I think it's safe to say that, despite looking fine, the disc is definitely defective.

Attached Files

Comment

Yep that would be my guess .

BTW
                  Playing it in a standalone will not tell you much. Most defective disc will play fine but can not be read by ripping software .

Comment

I probably should've mentioned this earlier, but I was embarrassed. Though hell, I'll admit it... I bought it for $12.99 at my local Walgreens. I've done so with other DVDs twice before this purchase and all was well, so naturally I figured this one would be too... I guess not. I'll be returning the darn thing later tonight. They better not give me any trouble about it.
                    BTW, thank you all for your help/replies. I appreciate it. The conclusion is a bummer, but I appreciate it nonetheless

Comment

I don't think where you bought it has any bearing on it being a defective disc.

We are seeing more and more defective disc regardless of where in the world or the store brand they are purchased.

When they are stamped out by the hundreds of thousands a certain percentage will be defective.

Comment

Originally posted by takearushfan View Post
                        Well, attached is the (*cough*)wonderful(*cough*) image result from Nero's CD/DVD speed test. My jaw dropped as I viewed the scanning progress.

So DVD Shrink, Smartripper, Windows, DVDFab, Nero and even my own DVD playing software all screw up at some point. I'm not even going to bother trying it in my standalone player. I think it's safe to say that, despite looking fine, the disc is definitely defective.
                        Although, it's still likely you have a bad disc, I suspect you're not running CD/DVD speed correctly.
                        You can't just scan an encrypted disc, you'll receive a scan similar to what you posted.

Ideally, run an on-the-fly decrypter in the background while scanning.
                        DVDFab Passkey 7.0.2.2 Beta
                        would be my recommendation.

Alternatively, you can open a software player such as VLC, start play, then stop play, but do not exit the player.
                        Now open CD/DVD speed and scan the disc.

Totally agree with Gruñón.
                        With respect to the disc's integrity, if the disc's packaging is still intact, it's not going to matter where you bought it.
                        The bargain barrel at Wallyworld for $5 is just as good as BestBuy for $20-25
                        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Okay. I ran passkey in the background while running the speed test. Attached is the result... sort of. I had to stop it after a while, due to impatience and it not going any further.

I did manage to copy the DVD successfully, but with automatically retrying read errors/skipping sectors. That, along with the attached image, really irritate me. I'm not going to keep this on my computer. I'm a rather obsessive about my backups and if there's even a bit (literally) of erroneous data, I'm not keeping it on my computer.

Regarding buying from Walgreens, they don't have a sign that says "Previously used", etc. I assumed they were new. However, I looked at my receipt a couple hours ago and it says "P/Viewed DVD"
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well looks like you got some red in the image you attached so it a bad disc. I personally did not purchase this DVD as it not interest me but have you tried with pathplayer disabled in common settings of DVDFab

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                              Well looks like you got some red in the image you attached so it a bad disc. I personally did not purchase this DVD as it not interest me but have you tried with pathplayer disabled in common settings of DVDFab
                              Yep. Unfortunately, every setting combination I've tried still results in errors. I'm sure DVDFab is fine and it's just that the DVD is so screwed up that no adjustment in DVDFab's settings can help.

Comment

Working...
                              X