Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okey dokey, you're way ahead of me here.
    Good to know.
    Thanks for the update and good luck to you.
    While the Moser Baer media is crap, you won't find better media than the MKM 001 stuff, as you know.
    Hard to believe the MKM media is at fault.

I seem to recall that you had a write speed error with the MKM though.
    I'll give it another look when I get a chance...maybe just a firmware issue.
    Last edited by maineman; 08-27-2010, 04:04 PM. Reason: typo, probably just my dementia...lol
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
      Okey dokey, you're way ahead of me here.
      Good to know.
      Thanks for the update and good luck to you.
      While the Moser Baer media is crap, you won't find better media than the MKM 001 stuff, as you know.
      Hard to believe the MkM media is at fault.

I seem to recall that you had a write speed error with the MKM though.
      I'll give it another look when I get a chance...maybe just a firmware issue.
      Well the defraggler is a super little proggy, just found 14 GIG of defragable files that the Microverysoft version missed! ran it and gained over 25% of my hard drive back. I have had to postpone my shopping untill the morning, got to go 30 miles down the road to buy my 16yr old a Vespa Moped, said I would if she got good grades in her exams, and I think two distinctions, (one in computers, or ITC as they call it here) one in "Media Studies" and a couple of A Stars. perhaps she should be sorting my problems out, lol. or possibly my oldest son who is an IT consultant for a major insurance company. Do not like to admit defeat to my kids though, lol
      Last edited by maineman; 08-27-2010, 04:05 PM. Reason: same typo...lol
      :Dpart time musician, full time chancer,lol;)

Comment

not a good day.

Well, my shopping day did not got well, drove almost 30 miles to the Nearest "PC World, hoping to buy a new burner and disks, all they had were LG burners, look axactly like the one I have, but obviously a newer model. And all the wrireable verbatim DVDs they had were 4.7 gig and made in india!!!!
        Same story at curries and Maplin, and comet!and none off them had verbatim 8.5 gig which is aparently what I require for this dam shutter island.

Finally bought some Verbatim AZO 4.7gig from Sainsburies, and they are made in Taiwan, packet says they are "DVD-R ver 2.1/16x revision six!

Can ANYONE tell me if these are likely to be any good, if not I wil take them back before I open them!

ALSO, looks like I am going to have to mail order a new burner, now, with the fact that I live in the UK, has anyone any suggestions of the best make and model to buy please!

Comment

If the package has the AZO label on it you are good to go.

Your statement that you needed 8.5 gig for Shutter is not correct.
          All you have to do is change your quality setting from DVD9 to DVD5 and your 4.7 disc are all you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
            If the package has the AZO label on it you are good to go.

Your statement that you needed 8.5 gig for Shutter is not correct.
            All you have to do is change your quality setting from DVD9 to DVD5 and your 4.7 disc are all you need.
            oK, yep, thanks, they do have! I really wanted the best copy I could get, and thought that the compression needed to get it on a 4.7 disk was too much, may well be wrong. I have other issues at the moment, mainly actually getting it to copy anything that will play back on my DVD player.
            SO, will give them a go in the morning, and if it does not work I will post the log.
            Thanks Mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Jasper View Post
              oK, yep, thanks, they do have! I really wanted the best copy I could get, and thought that the compression needed to get it on a 4.7 disk was too much, may well be wrong. I have other issues at the moment, mainly actually getting it to copy anything that will play back on my DVD player.
              SO, will give them a go in the morning, and if it does not work I will post the log.
              Thanks Mate!
              If you not want to compress too much you can just do Main Movie. Also LG drives are pretty good as I have not had any problems with them in the 4 years of using them

Comment

Hooray

Well, I finally have a back up of "Shutter Island" and have to say, what a copy, really clean and crisp!

Now here is the whole story,
                but "first" I would like to thank everyone for their comments and help!
                Second state that I appear to have several problems.
                I removed all crap from the laptop, ran cc cleaner, then Defgragler!
                Then, finally decided to remove "stopzilla" as I suspected that somehow it was actually "installing2 viruses, then finding them to remove, this was confusing as my fully licensed and paid for copy of AVG internet security never found anything!
                after un installing it I ran AVG scan again, both the rootkit part, and the standard scan, it suddenly found 8 Trojans, and a nasty rootkit!
                these it removed, but I had to do this in safe mode. I next un installed cc cleaner, and defraggler, purely out of interest and ran avg again, all clean. Ran the re download of cc via "File hippo" and avg blocked 3 trojans!!! tried then to download Stop zilla, and avg again stepped in and blocked a load of stuff, to I can only assume that File hippo has a problem.

Next, with a clean machine and a lot more space on my hard drive, I tried to copy again, but the external drive would no longer see the disk, I have no idea why!
                I then plugged the external drive into my wife's laptop, and it was detected straight away, and also the disk.
                I can only assume that during the process, or the clean up, some important files were deleted.????
                searched all the help pages, and made sure all my windows Vista updates were correct, which they were.
                So, gave up, and out of desperation, decided to ignore all previous advice, and try the internal drive as both read and write, after setting up IMG for the specific media.

blinking heck, it worked first time, great copy, DVD fab was easy to use, and gave far more information on what it was doing than my previous program!!

so, next, as a "Checksum" I installed the previous program on the wifes machine, and plugged my external drive in, copied a disk, (Invasion) and it was fine.
                Next tried the DVD that was causing all the problems in the first place, and it would not copy it, so am convinced!

So, as soon as I receive my refund for the other copy program, I WILL be paying for and registering DVD Fab.

a final thanks for some good pointers, and at least a happy end to this.long winded saga! lol

Still a bit concerned about the viruses though! Will keep a good check on that side of it!

Comment

logs in case it is of interest/help!

I 15:43:13 ImgBurn Version 2.5.1.0 started!
                  I 15:43:13 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (6.0, Build 6002 : Service Pack 2)
                  I 15:43:13 Total Physical Memory: 2,086,112 KB - Available: 1,100,004 KB
                  I 15:43:13 Initialising SPTI...
                  I 15:43:13 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
                  I 15:43:13 -> Drive 1 - Info: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S 1.40 (F (ATA)
                  I 15:43:13 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!
                  I 15:43:13 Operation Started!
                  I 15:43:13 Building Image Tree...
                  I 15:43:13 Checking Directory Depth...
                  I 15:43:13 Calculating Totals...
                  I 15:43:13 Preparing Image...
                  I 15:43:13 Checking Path Length...
                  I 15:43:13 Contents: 9 Files, 2 Folders
                  I 15:43:14 Content Type: DVD Video
                  I 15:43:14 Data Type: MODE1/2048
                  I 15:43:14 File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
                  I 15:43:14 Volume Label: SHUTTER_ISLAND
                  I 15:43:14 IFO/BUP 32K Padding: Enabled
                  I 15:43:14 Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
                  I 15:43:14 TV System: PAL
                  I 15:43:14 Size: 4,485,439,488 bytes
                  I 15:43:14 Sectors: 2,190,156
                  I 15:43:14 Image Size: 4,486,070,272 bytes
                  I 15:43:14 Image Sectors: 2,190,464
                  I 15:43:14 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:00
                  I 15:43:14 Operation Started!
                  I 15:43:14 Source File: -==/\/[BUILD IMAGE]\/\==-
                  I 15:43:14 Source File Sectors: 2,190,464 (MODE1/2048)
                  I 15:43:14 Source File Size: 4,486,070,272 bytes
                  I 15:43:14 Source File Volume Identifier: SHUTTER_ISLAND
                  I 15:43:14 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.5.1.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!
                  I 15:43:14 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn
                  I 15:43:14 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
                  I 15:43:14 Destination Device: [1:0:0] MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S 1.40 (F (ATA)
                  I 15:43:14 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: MCC 03RG20) (Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x)
                  I 15:43:14 Destination Media Sectors: 2,297,888
                  I 15:43:14 Write Mode: DVD
                  I 15:43:14 Write Type: DAO
                  I 15:43:14 Write Speed: 12x
                  I 15:43:14 Link Size: Auto
                  I 15:43:14 Lock Volume: Yes
                  I 15:43:14 Test Mode: No
                  I 15:43:14 OPC: No
                  I 15:43:14 BURN-Proof: Enabled
                  W 15:43:14 Write Speed Miscompare! - Wanted: 16,620 KB/s (12x), Got: 11,080 KB/s (8x)
                  I 15:43:14 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)
                  I 15:43:16 Writing LeadIn...
                  I 15:43:22 Writing Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 2190463)
                  I 15:43:22 Writing Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 2190463)
                  I 15:53:11 Synchronising Cache...
                  I 15:53:56 Exporting Graph Data...
                  I 15:53:56 Graph Data File: C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Roaming\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\MATSHITA_DVD-RAM_UJ-850S_1.40_29-AUGUST-2010_15-43_MCC_03RG20_12x.ibg
                  I 15:53:56 Export Successfully Completed!
                  I 15:53:56 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:10:38
                  I 15:53:56 Average Write Rate: 7,450 KB/s (5.4x) - Maximum Write Rate: 11,159 KB/s (8.1x)
                  I 15:53:56 Close Request Acknowledged
                  I 15:53:56 Closing Down...
                  I 15:53:56 Shutting down SPTI...
                  I 15:53:56 ImgBurn closed!

Comment

Those verbatim should be burned at 4x or 6x speed insteasd of max speed you can set ImgBurn up to burn at the speeds you want using the automatic write speed setting. You can as well set different speeds for same media if you using different DVD drives to burn with all the time.

About CC and filehippo did you try downloading from the piriform mirror as that where I always download from. I never download anything if it not from the programs home website or own download link

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                      Those verbatim should be burned at 4x or 6x speed insteasd of max speed you can set ImgBurn up to burn at the speeds you want using the automatic write speed setting. You can as well set different speeds for same media if you using different DVD drives to burn with all the time.

About CC and filehippo did you try downloading from the piriform mirror as that where I always download from. I never download anything if it not from the programs home website or own download link
                      Yes, I found that option after I had actually copied the disk, and noticed on the logs, plus the info as I watched it all go through. IMG now set at 6 speed burn for that media.
                      No, as I said everything was done via file hippo, and I think they have a problem, will re try direct as I do like the programs! Just paid my money as noticed there was a 20% discount which ran out today, so now have a registered copy, yippee.
                      Thanks for your help, now I know it works I am more content to try the various features, and have confidence in it, lol

Comment

Well glad your happy and I'm sure DVDFab will not let you down as I have had a DVDFab program of some sort for about 6 years now and very happy with them all

Comment

Working...
                        X