Can't Backup Toy Story 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Backup Toy Story 3

Grunon, the software you recommended successfully found multiple bad and damaged sectors. I will keep this in my toolbox, thanks.

This disk is brand new, clean, and unscratched. I have seen a few complaints about DVDFab taking a while to scan Toy Story 3 disks and I suspect that I am not the only one with a bad disk.

Thanks again for your help!

You are welcome.

Not sure what happened to the other post here including mine but at least we found your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
      You are welcome.

Not sure what happened to the other post here including mine but at least we found your problem.
      What tool are you talking about?

Comment

Nero DiskSpeed

Grunon suggested that I scan the disk using Nero Diskspeed to see if there is a problem with the disk.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-...VD-Speed.shtml

Somehow the original posts were lost.

Comment

Originally posted by propulsion View Post
          Grunon suggested that I scan the disk using Nero Diskspeed to see if there is a problem with the disk.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-...VD-Speed.shtml

Somehow the original posts were lost.
          How do you use it?

Comment

Put the disk in the drive.

Execute DiscSpeed.

Select "ScanDisc" tab.

Select Start.

Watch the map unfold.

Comment

Execute DiscSpeed.

Select "ScanDisc" tab.

Select Start.

Watch the map unfold.
              OK. I am running the test as you recommended on my backup copy of Toy Story 3 to find any damaged or bad sectors of the surface of the DVD. I will post my results when testing is finished.

Comment

Execute DiscSpeed.

Select "ScanDisc" tab.

Select Start.

Watch the map unfold.
                How do you read the test when it's complete? How do you determined if your backup failed?
                Last edited by c0afanh; 11-07-2010, 04:13 AM.

Comment

You do not use Nero Diskspeed on the back up that you made. You use it on the original DVD to see if any errors are present but you will need to have Passkey installed and running in order to make the DVD look like it has no copy protection on it in order for Nero Diskspeed to work correctly

Comment

Hey guys,

An FYI...
                    Sorry, but you're not using cd-dvd speed correctly.
                    It's great for benchtesting all types of media and great for scanning burned media, but
                    it will not scan encrypted discs accurately...by itself

Ideally, you should be running an on-the-fly decrypter...such as DVDFab Passkey when scanning.

Alternatively (and not as reliable), you can open the disc with a software player like VLC or Media Player Classic.
                    Then stop play, but do not exit the player.
                    Now open cd-dvd speed and scan.

Here's a scan of a standard, commercially pressed dvd..."Avatar"
                    I only scanned for a couple of minutes...because it gets old, but you get the idea.
                    It's erroneously showing all red = all bad sectors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cd-dvd speed 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	303932

Here's a partial scan of the exact, same disc while running Passkey.
                    This scan took less time, made much better progress and most importantly, shows all green = no bad sectors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cd-dvd speed 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	303933

Hope this helps
                    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hey AGJ, you beat me again!!!, but no fair...I've got screenshots.

Besides...I'm old and slow and my typing sucks
                      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Passkey is what I suggested along with nero dvd speed in my post that went missing.

Yes it must be used on the source to see if it has error Not the copy that you already made.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention that Grunon did include that initially. However! I have found that opening DVDFab and letting it scan the source disc, then cancelling and even closing DVDFab also allows you to scan the disc with Nero DiscSpeed, bypassing the encryption. That actually was the method I used and it works great. I had lots of green pixels, and some red, and some yellow. My original Toy Story 3 disc seemed to play just fine using VLC on my computer when playing portions of various chapters. However, after finding the bad sectors using Nero, I tried playing the entire movie on the DVD player and I did find the problem areas where the movie skipped and ultimately stopped. I believe that DVDFab was doing its best to scan the source but couldn't because of the number of bad sectors on the disc. Normally the source scan is relatively quick and I don't blame DVDFab for the long scan time (5min), it was the disc.

Comment

Working...
                          X